Sign in to follow this  
quadraspleen

The Map (Grrr)

And boy oh boy is it addictive! I'm lucky my missus likes watching so much tv...

anyway, back OT...

a compass rose, too...

the most important thing for me would be to be able to use it to plan missions in an overview and quickly find airfields and navaids..I've got used to using skyvector now; it's ace..I don't know if I want a 'you are here' moving map anymore...might spoil some of the fun..:)

And Jose, I'm going to email them right after I land at Icy Bay..I emailed them a few times before and as yet not even had a 'you emailed MSGS' email..

PAGS-19AK..what a trip! Glaciers! Frozen lakes! Bears! Ok, no bears, but you get the picture...:)

Sent from the FondleSlab using Tapatalk

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

And boy oh boy is it addictive! I'm lucky my missus likes watching so much tv...

anyway, back OT...

a compass rose, too...

the most important thing for me would be to be able to use it to plan missions in an overview and quickly find airfields and navaids..I've got used to using skyvector now; it's ace..I don't know if I want a 'you are here' moving map anymore...might spoil some of the fun..:)

And Jose, I'm going to email them right after I land at Icy Bay..I emailed them a few times before and as yet not even had a 'you emailed MSGS' email..

PAGS-19AK..what a trip! Glaciers! Frozen lakes! Bears! Ok, no bears, but you get the picture...:)

Sent from the FondleSlab using Tapatalk

Saw a HUGE black bear ambling across a field next to me as I drove home yesterday. (random interjection)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I am tempted to print out some of the map found in FSX...

Why? So you can show how bad It is and what we have in Flight is so good that It don't need an update? Just curious...

I truly wonder what MS had on mind when they designed that map?

Kindergarden kiddies?

Why? So you can show how bad It is and what we have in Flight is so good that It don't need an update? Just curious...

At least with the FSX map I will have a good topographical map. For me, while flying in Alaska, that is sufficient

Ok, just wanted to know what your intention was with that statement. As for me I use paper maps but I wish they had some kind of search function to find the airport Im looking for in MS Flight.

I like the way it is in FSX, there I don't need the ingame map.

If I had to guess, I'd guess the map was never designed or intended for navigation. It was only a graphical menu for the various missions and challenge courses, and it just happened to have all the airports so we could check the job boards. It works as a menu. It doesn't work as a map.

For latecomers to the forum, at one time we saw screen shots from a developer's blog of an early version of the map. It was detailed and had color coded elevation levels, similar to the moving map in the Icon, or FSX's map although an improvement to that one. I have no idea why we ended up with the crude hand-drawn map we have now, unless they really didn't intend for it to be used for navigation.

Too bad runwayfinder.com is gone. It had the best maps and flight planner I've ever seen. I was using that instead of the flight planner in FSX. I didn't need it in Hawaii, but it would sure be useful in Alaska.

Skyvector is... well... an improvement on the Flight map if you want to navigate. Mostly a pain in the tush.

GMap looks like it might be good some day, but doesn't appear ready for prime time yet. I suspect it's already better than any GPS we'll see in Flight, but I hope I'm proven wrong. I would prefer a 2D GPS panel and I'll bet we never see one in Flight.

vfrmap.com seems to have the best scrolling map so far, but isn't useful for flight planning unless there are a lot of features I haven't found yet. My last couple of flights I had it running in the background where I could refer to it easily. Looks like that's going to be my chart of choice for a while, unless someone comes up with something better.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

If I had to guess, I'd guess the map was never designed or intended for navigation. It was only a graphical menu for the various missions and challenge courses, and it just happened to have all the airports so we could check the job boards. It works as a menu. It doesn't work as a map.

For latecomers to the forum, at one time we saw screen shots from a developer's blog of an early version of the map. It was detailed and had color coded elevation levels, similar to the moving map in the Icon, or FSX's map although an improvement to that one. I have no idea why we ended up with the crude hand-drawn map we have now, unless they really didn't intend for it to be used for navigation.

My thoughts exactly. It's a menu, not a map. If we were really supposed to navigate with it, we could open it during Jobs and Missions.

Skyvector is... well... an improvement on the Flight map if you want to navigate. Mostly a pain in the tush.

I've tried to use it a couple of times and found it sluggish and frustrating, usually followed by unresponsive.

vfrmap.com seems to have the best scrolling map so far, but isn't useful for flight planning unless there are a lot of features I haven't found yet.

I suspect the lack of features may be part of why it loads and scrolls so well. I use this when I don't have my paper charts to look at, or if I need to capture an image of a chart area.

My last couple of flights I had it running in the background where I could refer to it easily. Looks like that's going to be my chart of choice for a while, unless someone comes up with something better.

I'm staying old-school with paper VFR charts and doing my flight planning with a plotter, notepad and pencil.

I know that isn't really viable for everyone, though. We do need a usable electronic option that doesn't require an expense larger than the sim itself.

I think GMap looks like the best hope, but it does need some work to get there. I will be spending some money with them as soon as they get it hooked up to their Android app.

My thoughts exactly. It's a menu, not a map. If we were really supposed to navigate with it, we could open it during Jobs and Missions.

I've tried to use it a couple of times and found it sluggish and frustrating, usually followed by unresponsive.

I suspect the lack of features may be part of why it loads and scrolls so well. I use this when I don't have my paper charts to look at, or if I need to capture an image of a chart area.

I'm staying old-school with paper VFR charts and doing my flight planning with a plotter, notepad and pencil.

I know that isn't really viable for everyone, though. We do need a usable electronic option that doesn't require an expense larger than the sim itself.

I think GMap looks like the best hope, but it does need some work to get there. I will be spending some money with them as soon as they get it hooked up to their Android app.

I'm using Gmap on my PC, and it works great. Just got the sectionals for Alaska installed last night.All 30 sectionals for $9.95. Can't beat that with a stick. http://fswidgets.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=55

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310