Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Cancun and Cozumel....great combo.

Probably because one of my best vacations took place on the Riviera Maya, Mexico, I deciided to purchase the Cancun scenery from Aviation MS and the Cozumel scenery from Latin VFR. From the beach on the Riviera Maya you can see the lights of Cozumel, and it's a nice 8 to 10 minute jaunt from Cancun to to Cozumel in a Skymaster (or similar prop).

The scenery is top notch in my opinion, and it's great when you're equipped with ASE and REX. These sceneries were listed on the front page of AVSIM, and still are. That's how I found out about them. I think you will like both these sceneries if you try them.

Stan

I agree Stan and it is one of the places that I fly the most (in the sim and rw). I have installed every add on for the area that has been released and I had a couple issues with Cancun due to left over files from other add ons. I think I have it fixed now but Isla Mujeres still looks really off. It should be much more built up than it appears and the airport actually has a small building.

Does your Isla Mujeres look like an island with just trees and a landing strip or is there a town and an actual airport? A screenie of your your Isla would be really helpful so I can figure out if what I am seeing is correct. If you could post one I'd really appreciate it.

BTW, there is another thread in the scenery here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/377906-new-cancun-scenery/

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

I downloaded it as soon as it was announced yesterday. It looks fantastic! I already had MMUN from TropicalSim, so it's nice to have both airports, and Latin VFR went out of their way with the surroundings for MMCZ!

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

I just returned from Cancun yesterday and already purchased the Tropicalsim version of MMUN in advance of my vacation. I noticed this LATIN ENHANCE- CANCÚN X scenery on Simmarket for $15 and was wondering if anyone had this, if you recommend it, and if it plays nice with the Tropicalsim MMUN. The new Cozumel scenery looks nice too and I may have to give that a shot also. Thanks for your input.

Cheers, Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

I agree Stan and it is one of the places that I fly the most (in the sim and rw). I have installed every add on for the area that has been released and I had a couple issues with Cancun due to left over files from other add ons. I think I have it fixed now but Isla Mujeres still looks really off. It should be much more built up than it appears and the airport actually has a small building.

Does your Isla Mujeres look like an island with just trees and a landing strip or is there a town and an actual airport? A screenie of your your Isla would be really helpful so I can figure out if what I am seeing is correct. If you could post one I'd really appreciate it.

BTW, there is another thread in the scenery here: http://forum.avsim.n...cancun-scenery/

Horrible! Just flew there and it's only trees and a landing strip. Obviously not modeled in this scenery. Now...although I love Cozumel scenery, I'm growing dis-enchanted with this Cancun scenery. Sometimes (not always) the buildings appear in the water with no land around them. Yesterday....I loved it, and now I'll be looking for a better Cancun that does the outer islands well. Is Tropical sim any better?

Very disappointed. Maybe there will be an update; otherwise I should get a refund on the Cancun scenery.

Stan

I stay away from airport scenery in droves. If they added scenery around the airport with it, out on final and around the airport, then I'd look harder. Orbx is (kind of) going that route. It doesn't have to be perfect either...just a feeling of continuity and, yes, there actually is something around this airport. If they made it a separate package from the airport then they'd have both people that want only the airport as well as those that want the area around (which I think would be most people and certainly that group of people who use photorealistic scenery.)

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Sounds like we are seeing the same thing on Isla Stan.

The Cancun X package was a good fix for the area and it did a better job on Isla Mujeres than the AMS product. It was also designed for use with the Tropical Sim MMUN and it provides some nice enhancements for the scenery. The two products work very well together. Still, as far as the airport is concerned, the AMS one is much nicer than the T-SIM one. I'd say the Hotel Zone representation between Cancun X and the AMS package is about the same, but different.

I have not noticed the building appearing in the water on a large scale but their is one that is placed in the water just south of Dreams Cancun Resort. I think it is a left over default FSX building but I am not sure if that is the case.

Greg, Like the Latin VFR COZ, the AMS MMUN does model quite a bit off the airport. Typically, all you see on approach are mangroves anyway.

Right now, I am trying to find a way to layer the AMS scenery and the Cancun X scenery. I want the AMS scenery without Isla Mujeres and the Cancun X scenery with only Isla Mujeres.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

When you find a way to layer it properly, please let us know. I'll do it too.

Stan

I'm still working on it.

What I can say is their support forum is closed to new posts. It seems like they do not want the public to see any of the problems with the scenery and I feel that a lack of transparency by a developer is reason enough to avoid their products. I'll email these issues to them but I think it is important for the issues to be known. I don't see any major issues and as I said, the airport looks good.

1. The photoscenery is really blurry - even at 5000ft. The photo scenery can also be slow loading at times making it look like the buildings are in the water

2. There is actually one building sitting in the water near Punta Cancun.

3. The airport on Isla Mujeres is modeled (runway, apron and small terminal/tower) but the island needs work. Its all trees and grass. Cancun X may help with this if I could figure out how to layer them and which .bgl's need to be moved.

4. They forgot to add waypoints and approaches to the ADE file. Since 12L/30R did not exist in the original version of FSX, the runway has nothing. There is also no approach data for 12R/30L because in the original FSX the runway was 12/30. This means that you can't use FSX ATC. I can fix this to a point with ADE but it should have been included with the scenery. I think this is really sloppy ADE work.

I was so annoyed by the representation of Isla Mujeres I actually decided to redo it myself. I have no experience with scenery design but I picked up Instant Scenery and downloaded SBuilderX. I spent the last week learning SBX and I was actually able to get the island looking more like Isla (just the land area outline). I was so proud of myself but last night I saw this:

http://secure.simmarket.com/taxi2gate-isla-mujeres-airport-mmim-fsx.phtml. It was released on Monday. I bought it and suspended my scenery design endeavor.

It does a good job at representing the island and the airport. There are a couple issues with layering with the AMS scenery but Cesar is working on it. Overall, I think it is pretty good for the price.

Instant Scenery was payware so I will probably use it to make additional objects for Isla Mujeres and I think I now have the skills needed to add more resorts to Riviera Maya.

Either way, we now have nice scenery for Cancun, Cozumel and Isla Mujeres. This is something I have wanted for years and I am pretty happy. Still, I find it so strange that all of these products were released within a few weeks by different developers.

Horrible! Just flew there and it's only trees and a landing strip.

Stan,

Now, which scenery is horrible. This thread started with the Cozemel and Cancun from Latin VFR beingg awesome...and I was about to buy those. Now I am confused.

I see some from AMC as well

So which combination of sceneries make it reasonably good here finally?

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I think he was talking about the Isla Mujeres portion of the AMS Cancun scenery - It includes both areas but the Isla representation isn't very good.

It looks like this in real life: http://ixchelbeachhotel.com/virtualtour/hotel/