Sign in to follow this  
ndoynov

Strange ATC Occurence

Hello! So today I was flying the easyJet flight from Glasgow to Bristol, and something peculiar happened. I took off with my A319 and ATC told me to "turn left to heading 235". I did that and continued flying. After a while, I got to my cruising altitude, and was still on the west bound heading of 235. If you know geography, you would know that my west bound course led me to the Irish Channel. Then turned south, which was not an ATC order, but then they told me to "expedite right turn to 235" and I followed. I got all the way to the shores of Northern Ireland, until I decided to do a sharp left turn back to my flightplan course. ATC kept on telling me to "expedite my right turn to heading 235" but I didn't do that because if I were to keep going I'd reach Belfast and even further west, when Bristol is to the south of Glasgow. Why did this happen? I think its normal for ATC to give you a strange heading at first, but then they lead you to your flightplan. This isn't the first time this has happened. It happened to me once when I was flying Sydney to Melbourne. I've attached a pic to better explain my troubles. The black arrow shows where I made my "ATC unapproved" turn. Sorry for the blurry pic. Any thoughts?

I did experience this a few times when using the default ATC. I suggest buying Proflight emulator for a very different ATC experience.

Peter

Peter Schluter

Yes default ATC is useless. Trying to make it work in any way like it happens in real life is pointless. I'd highly recommend Pro Flight Emulator. Each flight takes a bit of setting up but once you get your head around things it works really well. The accents are matched to the ATC regions and the airlines, so fly into Zurich and you'll hear a German or French accented controller, an Irish Aer Lingus pilot in the frequency and if you are flying an Olympic Airlines plane your Captain and copilot can both be Greek!

Radar Contact is also very good and easier to use but is left behind in terms of immersion. There's also Vox ATC but I've never tried that.

If you want to continue with default ATC, recently there was a very helpful thread in this forum about a modified default ATC

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/374310-how-do-i-edit-atc-instructions/

- follow the link in post #15.

At least this modified ATC turns off the nerving "expedite...!" instructions.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

what GeyerH said, try it for a much more relaxed and better expierience.

use option C

This happens when the first waypoint in your flightplan plan is at/near your departure airport.

ATC will not clear you to the next leg of your flightplan till you cross that waypoint.

It is good practice to check for this situation when creating your flightplan and if the first waypoint is close to your departure airport, you should delete that waypoint from your route.

I typically delete any waypoint within about 60 miles of my departure airport when flying jets and no longer experience this behavior.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

This happens when the first waypoint in your flightplan plan is at/near your departure airport.

ATC will not clear you to the next leg of your flightplan till you cross that waypoint.

It is good practice to check for this situation when creating your flightplan and if the first waypoint is close to your departure airport, you should delete that waypoint from your route.

Absolutely. In this case probably the GOW VOR, which is almost at the departure end of runway 23 and also on the southbound airway. When compiling an airways route FS9 starts with the waypoint on the relevant airway closest to the departure airport - in this and many other cases, far too close. Even if you did cross GOW, if you did it before being handed off to Departure then ATC won't recognise that.

Another alternative would be could compile a flightplan in something like vroute, including a proper SID for the runway in use. Export to FS9 and the default ATC will pick up all the points on the SID.