Sign in to follow this  
phmcr

File title changes as per manager´s mood

Hi,

Depending obviously on who is in control of the library that day, the name of the uploaded file is changed. I don´t mind but maybe it is a good thing to have a standard.

I have uploaded several AFCAD files by now. Initially I would start with the ICAO code and than the name of the airport until one manager thought it would be better to change that and state the name of the airport first and put the ICAO code in brackets.

Well, ok, if that seems to be the correct syntax.... But today I uploaded a file following that syntax and what happened.... the manager on duty changed the title to ICAO code first and then the name of the airport......

I don´t follow. So like I said, either leave it as it is or issue a standard.

Thank you

Menno C. Robert

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

There are multiple library managers, which is a big hint as to why the standards change. I will always change such a file into (for example) "EGNX - East Midlands Airport" and then the state (if applicable) afterwards. However, another manager could do it in reverse.

It's been encouraged to always look for a standard in another file, but unfortunately it's not that easy since the standards change over time, and it could take a while (we like to process a file as soon as possible).

A similar point has been bought up before about adding developer names to Author fields - and we finally agreed to try and add the developer into the field UNLESS it is an AI repaint. With the new Library in the making, I think it would be prime time to create a "SOP" guide for the library managers - to set a universal standard for all types of file which get uploaded thereafter. In fact, I'll try and get that discussed within the team and put into action soon.

OK, new standard for AFCAD titles - please follow:

ICAO first - Airport Name - City - Country

We try to have a consistency in the title layout, as we've been criticised for not having that in the past. On most files the ICAO is at the front, so we generally move it there to have a consistency. I moved your ICAO to the front of the title. I don't know who told you to put it in the back and in brackets - that generally is only good when its juts the airport name in the title, if its the airport, city and country - then it looks better to put the ICAO at the front.

Also I don't know if its a mistake or not but your ICAO was in the middle of the title: Bankstown Airpor - YSBK - Australia

I decided it was better to move it to the front:.

Anyway to avoid confusion from now on - perhaps it would be best to just have a standard for the AFCAD title and follow that.

Thanks for your replies. I decided to follow Ray Smith´s syntax this time because his seemed to pass the file manager´s tests. But obviously not this time either....

Ok, thanks for the standard.

Menno

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

Glad I ran across this topic. :)

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png