Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Sunrise / Sunset / Sun max altitude above Horizon....

On previous versions of Xp this didn't work quite well. For a given date I believe you would experience the exact same sunrise/sunset hours and the altitude of the Sun above the horizon would also be the same, probably allways referenced to mid-latitudes. How is it in XP10?

Say it's October 23 and 6PM LT. Go to Florida and tell me if it's still day, then up to northern Canada and, at the same time is it night already, or at least is the Sun lower in the horizon?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

October 23, 18:00 UTC

Miami:

Northern Canada (Santa Maria, can't remember the ICAO code):

Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I'm still waiting for any sim to get a sun in a sunrise or sunset right. Not one version of FS, XP, and now Flight, or any other Sim that I can think of over the years, has got the color of the Sun right in sunrise/sunsets. I woke up early this morning in anticipation of watching te Delta IV Heavy rocket launch from my backyard, to a beautiful red/orange sunrise with the sun looking like a red fireball. Sunsets are the same. I have yet to see a simulation that changed the color of the sun based on time of day. The sky though does get the appropriate color effect.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

@Murmur - thx for the images Murmur :-)

@tf51d - maybe FlightGear with the upcoming "Rembrandt" graphics suite .... Look forward for FG 2.7 in September/October

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Let me ask you something. what makes Flightgear interesting for people to use it instead of FSX and X-Plane besides being Free? I mean, I tried it, and it looks so raw I gave up after 15 minutes, but maybe there';s something I have not seen, like some super realistic flight model maybe?

Alexis Mefano

Let me ask you something. what makes Flightgear interesting for people to use it instead of FSX and X-Plane besides being Free? I mean, I tried it, and it looks so raw I gave up after 15 minutes, but maybe there';s something I have not seen, like some super realistic flight model maybe?

Alec,

there are a few FDs you can couple with FG. JSBsim is a very very detailled - a lot more than the FD on MSFS up to version X - one, and it's latest version, already being used in Outerra, there is a new Rotary Wing FD that will make helicopter design very rewarding in FG.

Yasim is a generic FD, but many FG add-on aircraft are based on it because it's rather simple to build a model using Yasim.

The Earth physics/gehoid models in FG are also better than in MSFS. Weather is being tweaked, and graphics too...

Main Simulation Rig:

Alec,

there are a few FDs you can couple with FG. JSBsim is a very very detailled - a lot more than the FD on MSFS up to version X - one, and it's latest version, already being used in Outerra, there is a new Rotary Wing FD that will make helicopter design very rewarding in FG.

Yasim is a generic FD, but many FG add-on aircraft are based on it because it's rather simple to build a model using Yasim.

The Earth physics/gehoid models in FG are also better than in MSFS. Weather is being tweaked, and graphics too...

That's nice to know! I hope it gets more user friendly in the next versions, so more people can try it. The Flight Model seems interesting, but without knowing a really good aircraft made to use it to it's full potential I don't think I want to try it again any time soon. If you know of any please let me know, can be via PM so as not to use this topic for another subkect.

Thanks!

Alexis Mefano