Sign in to follow this  
nopresnik

[Solved] Disappointed with my brand new PC

I have a K model...not sure if it can be overclocked or what benefit it would be. Can someone enlighten me?

The K means unlocked multiplier... very simple to overclock. It can sometimes be as easy as "1...2...3.." jk haha, but it is easy. Most times you can going into BIOS and raise the vcore just a touch, and bump the multi to 45x with no issues... the you have 4.5GHz. Mine is stubborn and requires 1.35v of vcore.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have a K model...not sure if it can be overclocked or what benefit it would be. Can someone enlighten me?

The K means unlocked multiplier... very simple to overclock. It can sometimes be as easy as "1...2...3.." jk haha, but it is easy. Most times you can going into BIOS and raise the vcore just a touch, and bump the multi to 45x with no issues... the you have 4.5GHz. Mine is stubborn and requires 1.35v of vcore.

Well, im happy enough at the moment. Dont need an overclock yet. I also dont have good enough cooling.

Hey guys. Im new to the forums.

I got a brand new computer not that long ago and I'm very disappointed with it. It costs around $3500 and I'm getting the opposite of what I was expecting. I'm getting a laggy 10 FPS on any airport without addon scenery. I get around 5 FPS with ORBX YMML v2 addon scenery. I've tried many things to fix lag but nothing has worked. I really need to get those FPS up to a good standard.

Here are my computers specs.

wex5M.jpg

I would appreciate it if someone could help me get to the bottom of this.

You have plenty of horsepower w/ your machine and something clearly is gravely amiss. I just took off from KJAC in the CRM Orbx scenery and their KJAC in the QW757 (not the lightest of performers compared to the Super MD80) in sections of dense clouds out to 100m and dense autogen and extreme scenery complexity, and get frames in the mid to high 20's. I fly the Super MD80 out of FSDT's KSFO and see frames in the mid 20's as well at KSFO w/ GTX running. I fly the PMDG NGX throughout the Hawaiian FSDT scenery and see mid to high 20's on the ground. You've got plenty of power but something is definitely out of whack. Sorry I'm not being more specific but just trying to inspire you to do the troubleshooting required. Don't let the 'you won't be able to over clock it enough get you. My machine is almost 4y/o and yours at stock speed is much more potent. I'm sure you can o'clock it some though 16gb of memory might make that a little more challenging.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I know the difference between my own 2500K at stock and 4.4 is a huge difference (usually about 10 fps and going from 20 to 30 means a lot to me)

You go from what, 3.4Ghz to 4.4Ghz, a 29% increase, and you go from 20 to 30 frames, a 50% increase? I have never witnessed greater than the raw power increase and I can't see how even a better fed GPU will maybe contribute to this, in fact I always figure for every 10% increase in raw CPU clock speed I might see 6-7% increase in FSX frame rate. I'm speaking in general terms here but you get the idea.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

You have plenty of horsepower w/ your machine and something clearly is gravely amiss. I just took off from KJAC in the CRM Orbx scenery and their KJAC in the QW757 (not the lightest of performers compared to the Super MD80) in sections of dense clouds out to 100m and dense autogen and extreme scenery complexity, and get frames in the mid to high 20's. I fly the Super MD80 out of FSDT's KSFO and see frames in the mid 20's as well at KSFO w/ GTX running. I fly the PMDG NGX throughout the Hawaiian FSDT scenery and see mid to high 20's on the ground. You've got plenty of power but something is definitely out of whack. Sorry I'm not being more specific but just trying to inspire you to do the troubleshooting required. Don't let the 'you won't be able to over clock it enough get you. My machine is almost 4y/o and yours at stock speed is much more potent. I'm sure you can o'clock it some though 16gb of memory might make that a little more challenging.

Well thats why I got this one. Even with settings at minimal, im getting noticeable lag with default stock airports and planes. I did a full FSX reinstall along with all the addons i have, but didnt do anything. :(

Wow. Setting Target Frame rate to unlimited seemed to increase FPS

In may increase temporary and instant FPS but it will not increase overall performance compared to setting 1/2 Vsync. 30fps

You should go through the tuning guide here...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/370594-read-before-posting-software-hardware-guide-for-fsx/

I do have mine set to unlimited and use an external limiter called Antilag (freeware...you can Google it) where I set my FPS to 30 but you should go through the guide FIRST and then try it afterward with and without it to see which is better. If you haven't tuned your system is probably capable of doing much better. In the end, you may find it's ok.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I maintain setting to unlimited w/in FSX definitely improves total performance in Core 2 machines I can attest as have many others, and this is accomplished thru some internal changes in how FSX processes it all. If you don't believe this, try this test:

Set up a flight scenario where your machine is taxed significantly. Set the internal frame lock at let's say 30. The scenario has to be difficult enough to process so that even though you are locked at 30 your machine can only do about 25 on average. Now change to unlimited. You will see frames come up to 30 or more now. You shouldn't notice much in the way of deterioration in terms of image quality or other parameters, though i'm guessing this is where the perf improvement comes from. Some need an external limiter to handle surges, but I haven't seen these of late so just run straight unlimited now.

Noel

$3000? I can build a humble home cockpit with that

Im sure something can be done, your system is powerful enough. I just bought i5 2500K along with the cheapest ASrock motherboard which doesn't support overclocking but still, I chose "K" since I will likely OC in the future once I get a decent motherboard. However, yes people who chant overclocking have high standard concerning FPS. Nothing is wrong with that but some of them tend to "persuade" others to do overclocking.

I know a simmer who has 2700K+very good GPU and he has been simming for more than 10-15 years and he also writes reviews for payware addons (aircraft) but he is not fond of overclocking and happy with 20FPS locked. So we know he is not a noob, bottom line, overclocking is not a must unless you're dying for extra**ant FPS by shortening your processor longevity. It's very ingteresting and to me sometimes frustrating that a 6 year old FSX still requires a fastest overclocked-sandybridge to run it well. No it is not silly but well.. FSX can run with stock clock speed with i5 or i7 (even with i3, you won't get that smooth but it runs!) you don't have to get used to 10FPS. You will get better than that as people here are trying to help.

And your motherboard supports overclocking but whoever recommended you the 2600 (without "K") should be questioned his knowledge about basic hardware.

I maintain setting to unlimited w/in FSX definitely improves total performance in Core 2 machines I can attest as have many others, and this is accomplished thru some internal changes in how FSX processes it all. If you don't believe this, try this test:

I did test setting unlimited and using an external limiter as a final step for me and the results were good. Perhaps there's some other way of tuning that will give me better results using the internal limiter. I did notice that the internal limiter was very smooth...just smooth with a lower frame rate. My compromise worked better for me.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

First off, I'm sick of people always saying that you MUST overclock your PC to get good performance in FSX. That's rubbish, as my friends across the pond would say. Back in the early days of FSX we would have killed for the performance a STOCK 2500k is capable of. If you want the BEST performance possible, then yes, but believe it or not, not every PC flight simmer wants to faf about with overclocking.

Welcome to FSX. Where overclocking is a must for the true "enthusiast". Around here, you'll be hearing it a lot.

I did test setting unlimited and using an external limiter as a final step for me and the results were good. Perhaps there's some other way of tuning that will give me better results using the internal limiter. I did notice that the internal limiter was very smooth...just smooth with a lower frame rate. My compromise worked better for me.

This topic has been beaten to death, but it's always hidden in the thousands of pages. As far as I'm concerned, unlimited internal limiter means higher FPS and better performance. Micro-stutters become an issue with it though. I set Nvidia's profile to 30FPS and forget it. No blurries, no stutters, no problem!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

$3000? I can build a humble home cockpit with that

Now there's a thread waiting to happen...

"If you had $3000 to build a new system from scratch, what would you get?" :Thinking:

Gregg Seipp

Welcome to FSX. Where overclocking is a must for the true "enthusiast". Around here, you'll be hearing it a lot.

Here when you refer to 'enthusiast', overclocking is implied. But that is only because in the minds of some, an enthusiast is by definition, an overclocker. There is nothing necessary about this, in fact if you read very much at all in the lines, let alone between the lines, many of these folks appear to care more about overclocking and tweaking than flying their simulator. I've moved on from this as I'm most happy w/ flying, and is why I'm still on 4y/o hardware that delivers plenty in terms of simulator performance. It's a happier place to be for me because no matter what hardware people upgrade to, just read the comments here, there are still situations they can't process fully, and in the end have to make compromises somewhere to help them deal w/ the reality that FSX isn't 100% optimally run even on today's highest end machines. Or new stresses are added, like add'l monitors, etc. People here who are dissing the OP for blowing his wad on the machine he bought at the same time blow lots of $$ and time trying to eek out another 5% more 'performance' from FSX, upgrading to the latest parts in the hopes of getting that extra FPS or other parameter of performance, all the while having to compromise somewhere to be content enough. For me, I make compromises by flying lesser aircraft (Super MD80 Pro) when I'm in dense terminals/ORBX scenery in metro areas, and save the PMDG NGX & PMDG747 for those smaller regional airports w/ less autogen demands. I run almost all my sliders fully right and have smooth performance w/ good frames. From some early hints, perhaps next gen Haswell will be a better overclocker and have some modest architectural improvements to warrant my next big upgrade. Then I'll get to set my level of compromise up a few notches I'm sure. My strategy of late has been to buy best parts and run them as long as possible. Another personal reason I've toned down 'enthusiasm' is that I fried an expensive CPU, a QX9650, trying to eek out that extra 5%. Now I have a Q9650 and instead of running it at 4.2Ghz run it at 3.8Ghz. I dare say no discernible difference in total performance and volts are in a much safer place now. You'll get improvements no doubt if you learn to o'c your machine, but as I say, you will still need to come up with compromises as we all do, at some level.

Noel

If I am reading your specs correctly the ram seems pretty slow? 665MHz seems very slow - unless I am missunderstanding the display!

Always nice to get a gift like that - if that is your RAM speed you could upgrade to 2400MHz for only about $250.00.

That may help you out as well.

Anthony Milner