Sign in to follow this  
xander787

FMC blank/off after loading cold and dark state

For example if I wanted to edit the 777 CLDDRK state, can it be done?

Modify the config, then go back to the PMDG SETUP> page of the FMC and select SAVE PANEL STATE. Hit EXEC and it'll save over the existing state as your new, modified state.

Tony B.

Full names in the forum, please.

Kyle Rodgers

Tony B

"it'll save over the existing state as your new, modified state"

You might mistakenly get the impression from this that the new panel you created will overwrite the original panel . You will see your modified panel in the NGX aircraft but in the PanelState folder the original and modified files will be present.

Modify the config, then go back to the PMDG SETUP> page of the FMC and select SAVE PANEL STATE. Hit EXEC and it'll save over the existing state as your new, modified state.

Full names in the forum, please.

Thx scandinavian13, I'll give that a try. I wonder if that will also save other non-aircraft-panel configurations such as a connected jetway etc. It would add more to the realism of how you got to be on the flight deck in the first place with no jetway or stairs connected to the aircraft. Not to mention that the default CLDDRK state loads with the 2nd left entry door open on the triple 7. That defeats the whole purpose of realism. I'm guessing it will only save aircraft panel state and nothing else. We'll soon see.

Regarding the full name issue, roger that. While on that topic, I'm just curious, why this insistence of using full names in the first place? I mean what is the purpose of that? What possible benefit to the forum could that add? Especially since a member is not required to provide any proof of identity at sign-up. It's silly really, although I don't mind putting down my real name. I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just curious. I belong to numerous forums in other sectors of the digital world and none ever made that requirement. Only the flight sim forums do.

Tony Boutros

Tony Boutros

Aviation Enthusiast, Businessman/Entrepreneur, Teacher, Philosopher, Dancer, Husband, Father.

(Prove to me that I am who I say I am :rolleyes:)

I wonder if that will also save other non-aircraft-panel configurations such as a connected jetway etc.

Nope - PMDG panel states only affect, as the name implies, the PMDG panel (more specifically the PMDG aircraft as a whole, as the FMC - part of the panel - controls a lot of the aircraft state functions).

Not to mention that the default CLDDRK state loads with the 2nd left entry door open on the triple 7. That defeats the whole purpose of realism.

Most operators load through door 2L to keep people from disturbing the first class passengers as they board. This is directly in line with realism.

Regarding the full name issue, roger that. While on that topic, I'm just curious, why this insistence of using full names in the first place? I mean what is the purpose of that? What possible benefit to the forum could that add? Especially since a member is not required to provide any proof of identity at sign-up. It's silly really, although I don't mind putting down my real name. I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just curious. I belong to numerous forums in other sectors of the digital world and none ever made that requirement. Only the flight sim forums do.

This is explained in the stickeyed threads in most of our subforums:

We require this for several reasons - first and foremost we feel that it fosters a more respectful and cordial atmosphere when people speak to each other knowing who is behind each post instead of a psuedonym. I wouldn't walk up to someone in person and introduce myself as "Tabs"... Secondly, this is unfortunate but we do have a sizable number of pirates asking (sometimes even demanding outright) support for products they stole from us. Seeing names attached to support requests allows us to verify that the request is legitimate. If you disagree with this, you can use email support, but we will not be spending our time and energy providing support to annonymous individuals who very likely may have pirated the product...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/245586-you-must-sign-your-full-real-name-to-posts-to-use-this-forum-posts-without-names-will-be-deleted/

Kyle Rodgers

Nope - PMDG panel states only affect, as the name implies, the PMDG panel (more specifically the PMDG aircraft as a whole, as the FMC - part of the panel - controls a lot of the aircraft state functions).

Thanks for that condescending clarification, although I never asked for one. I was merely making a comment. Nevertheless, I'm sure your clarification will benefit someone else in the future despite the condescending overtone. So much for "a more respectful and cordial atmosphere"!

Most operators load through door 2L to keep people from disturbing the first class passengers as they board. This is directly in line with realism.

Yes thanks for stating the obvious but that wasn't what I meant. The focus of my comment was not on the door number but rather on the fact that the PMDG triple 7 spawns with a door open to a 20+ foot drop with no stairs or no jetway. On which planet is that directly in line with realism? :huh:

This is explained in the stickeyed threads in most of our subforums:

Forgive me for not wasting 20 to 30 minutes sifting through the entire forum in order to find an answer to my inquiry that any of the admins/moderators or veteran members of this forum could have answered in less than a minute. I guess time-efficiency is a sin here. Furthermore and FYI, search inquiries in forums are not a perfect science. I know this because I have been and still am an admin/moderator for my own business-related forum. For example, I put the following inquiry "use of full name" in the search field of this forum and guess what I got? It gave me 9850 results of which only the first 3 were related to the topic at hand and the remaining 9 pages of results were God knows relating to whatever. And, of those 3, the first one was the complete post to the quote you included above, originally authored by Ryan Maziarz, and the other two were complaints. One about having to use a non-yahoo email address and the second one about the difficulty of having to type someone's handle.

We require this for several reasons - first and foremost we feel that it fosters a more respectful and cordial atmosphere when people speak to each other knowing who is behind each post instead of a psuedonym. I wouldn't walk up to someone in person and introduce myself as "Tabs"... Secondly, this is unfortunate but we do have a sizable number of pirates asking (sometimes even demanding outright) support for products they stole from us. Seeing names attached to support requests allows us to verify that the request is legitimate. If you disagree with this, you can use email support, but we will not be spending our time and energy providing support to annonymous individuals who very likely may have pirated the product...

Although as I said in my comment above, I don't mind putting down my full name, yet I fail to see the logic of this explanation. Maybe because there isn't any. If someone signs up with a fake first and last name (since one isn't asked to show proof of ID), how is that any different from using a pseudonym? Explain to me how in that scenario the statement "Seeing names attached to support requests allows us to verify that the request is legitimate" applies. :Raised Eyebrow:

Now, with regards to that complete post written by Ryan Maziarz, and if this gets me deleted so be it...

This is not up for discussion and any posts arguing with the policy will also be deleted without debate.

:Applause:

I guess freedom of speech or expression of opinion is not allowed at PMDG!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the "CUSTOMER" support forum (key word there is customer) for patrons of PMDG? So, am I to understand that PMDG is more than willing to take a customer's money for their products, but will restrict that customer's use of this "CUSTOMERS SUPPORT" forum unless he reveals his private information to the entire membership of this forum? Does PMDG refund the customer's money if he's denied support for choosing not to comply with this Policy?

That's like walking into a car dealership to give them business and, after buying a car, them telling you "unless you are willing to reveal your full name to all our other customers (past, present and future), your car warranty will be void". That's ludicrous especially since it makes absolutely no sense (as I have proven above) nor does it in any way, shape or form provide the admins of this forum any assurance that the user of that "full name" is legit or someone who will not pirate their products. If it did, I would understand that policy but it doesn't. There is a saying... an unjust law isn't lawful and does not need to be obeyed and similarly for an unjust policy. I guess the ever-popular business phrase "customer is always right" doesn't apply at PMDG! :)

Finally, the 2nd menu item under "SUPPORT" on PMDG's website, it says "CUSTOMER FORUM". Again the key word there is "customer". It certainly does NOT say "arrogant admins with a massive ego forum".

Tony Boutros

Aviation Enthusiast, Businessman/Entrepreneur, Teacher, Philosopher, Dancer, Husband, Father.

Wow, Tony, why did you feel the need to come out of nowhere and attack Kyle? 

Thanks for that condescending clarification, although I never asked for one. I was merely making a comment. Nevertheless, I'm sure your clarification will benefit someone else in the future despite the condescending overtone. So much for "a more respectful and cordial atmosphere"!

How is this condescending?  Because he said "as the name implies"?  I think you must have read this with a sinister undertone or something, because when I read this it has no condescending tone at all.  Now, if he had said "as the name *obviously* implies" or "as any moron should be able to figure out from the name", then perhaps you'd have a case.  Secondly, your original statement, while not technically a question, does begin with "I wonder", so is it any wonder that someone would try to answer your question?  Why do you then have to attack him for doing so?

Yes thanks for stating the obvious but that wasn't what I meant. The focus of my comment was not on the door number but rather on the fact that the PMDG triple 7 spawns with a door open to a 20+ foot drop with no stairs or no jetway.

Then why did you specifically mention door 2L?  From the context, this makes it sound like you are questioning why 2L and not 1L.  So Kyle answered you, then you try to attack him again and say that no, you were really talking about the jetway.  FSX doesn't save jetway states, so any time you restart the simulator you will need to reset the jetway.  There's nothing PMDG can do about this.

Forgive me for not wasting 20 to 30 minutes sifting through the entire forum in order to find an answer to my inquiry that any of the admins/moderators or veteran members of this forum could have answered in less than a minute.

What an arrogant thing to say.  When I join a community, I think 20 or 30 minutes of research is a respectful enough request before allowing someone to just run their mouth off.  Besides, unless you have the reading skills of a 4 year old, you can read the pinned topics in a few minutes.  Usually when I post in a new forum, and I see pinned topics, I don't find it terribly inconvenient to read them.  In fact they usually give you good pointers on how to phrase your questions, what to ask, where else to get resources, etc.

Although as I said in my comment above, I don't mind putting down my full name, yet I fail to see the logic of this explanation.

You don't need to see the logic of the explanation, you don't need to understand why the earth spins either.  But if you had any experience in these forums you would realize that this rule, while unusual I admit, is still a rule and that if you want to participate, you need to follow that rule.  If the stickied post that explains this doesn't provide enough clarity for you, then I would urge you to just not get bent out of shape about it and drop it.

I guess freedom of speech or expression of opinion is not allowed at PMDG!!!

Wow.  Don't play that card, this won't end well.  Without rules, trolls will run rampant.  If you want to talk about your freedoms all day, go play on some political blogs.  If you want to talk about PMDG aircraft with a community that would help you if only you didn't start chopping people's heads off, then relax, read the rules, and agree to be a good citizen.  If you don't want to participate in this respectful manner, you can still file a ticket on the PMDG website and get personal support where the rest of us won't be subjected to your unreasonably defensive and childish tantrums.

Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

How is this condescending? Because he said "as the name implies"? I think you must have read this with a sinister undertone or something, because when I read this it has no condescending tone at all

Andrew, with all due respect, I disagree with you. adding the "as the name implies" could very easily be interpreted as condescending. It is not necessary and it certainly doesn't need to be qualified with additional terms such as "obviously" or "moron" in order to be perceived as such. Just because you don't think so, it doesn't mean others won't see it that way. He could have easily written "Nope - PMDG panel states only affect the PMDG panel...". In the art of communication, it is the responsibility of the person communicating to ensure that he is clearly understood. It is not the responsibility of those to whom he's communicating to decipher what he truly means, as long as they are listening with undivided attention (that applies to me as well and I will address that below). And, that's for face to face communication. Obviously this form of communication (text) leaves too much room for misunderstandings hence the need for the communicator to be even more careful with his/her choice of words and/or the format of his/her sentences. Nevertheless, if Kyle's intention were not to be condescending, then I'm big enough to apologize for misreading his intention and, at the same time, I hope that in the future he would make an effort to be more clear. Kyle if you read this, I apologize.

Secondly, your original statement, while not technically a question, does begin with "I wonder", so is it any wonder that someone would try to answer your question?

First of all, a question usually has a "?" at the end of it. I don't see a ? anywhere in that paragraph. Do you? Secondly, although I started with I wonder, I also ended with "I'm guessing it will only save aircraft panel state and nothing else. We'll soon see". So, even if it were a question, which it wasn't, I answered it for myself or I indicated that I will soon get the answer. Why did you only see "I wonder" and not the rest, which clearly indicates that it wasn't a question?

Having said that, under normal circumstances, I would have been more appreciative of his effort if I hadn't been already annoyed by his first sentence, which I understood it to be condescending. From that point forward, it's only normal for things to go down hill. Similarly, I guess I could have added a disclaimer that I wasn't asking a question and only making a comment, since I was the person communicating. I thought the end of that paragraph made it clear that I wasn't looking for an answer and that I was willing to find out on my own.

Then why did you specifically mention door 2L? From the context, this makes it sound like you are questioning why 2L and not 1L

You are absolutely correct there. After rereading what I wrote, I can certainly see that I wasn't clear in my reference to door 2L being open without a jetway or stairs. I assume full responsibility for that being the one communicating.

FSX doesn't save jetway states, so any time you restart the simulator you will need to reset the jetway. There's nothing PMDG can do about this.

I didn't know that. That's new information to me and thank you for that. As for what PMDG can do about it, well, for starters, they should leave the door closed (for realism purposes) and let the pilot deal with it. Or, as in FSDT GSX, they can display a message at the top of the screen or on the CDU reminding the pilot to open the door and connect the jetway. In GSX, when you request boarding, a message displays at top of the screen reminding you to operate the jetway. I think that added touch goes a long way. Why do you think I was asking how to modify a saved panel state in my first post? So that I can have that door closed.

What an arrogant thing to say. When I join a community, I think 20 or 30 minutes of research is a respectful enough request before allowing someone to just run their mouth off.

I'm sorry you see that as arrogant. Surely you're entitled to your own opinion. Now, if it were only 20 to 30 minutes one time upon joining as you say, that would be fine and I would have no problem with that. But it isn't. Every time someone asks a question, some smart you know what tells him/her it's already on the forum somewhere and to look for it. So, if I have to look for 20 minutes every time I need support for a product that I paid a lot of money for (PMDG products are not cheap), then I would be spending more time reading forum posts than actually flying. Perhaps you have a lot of time on your hands and you can afford to read forums and still have time to fly, perhaps not. I don't know. I certainly don't. I run 3 businesses and I teach 3 evenings a week. I barely have the time to fly let alone spend it reading forums. BESIDES, what harm is there in quickly answering a question for a customer and having him going away satisfied? It takes less than a minute to do, but it would take him/her a lot longer to dig for the answer. As I said, I moderate a forum for one of my businesses and no matter how many times a question gets asked and no matter how many threads it was answered in, I always instruct my staff to answer it regardless and I do the same. What's better to have a satisfied customer who will act as a walking advertisement for your business, or a disgruntled one who will repeatedly complain about your poor customer service and bad mouth you to others? If you don't see it, then you have a lot to learn about customer service and customer satisfaction.

Furthermore, I didn't come here to join a community. I don't have the time for that. I come here to find solutions to problems that keep me from enjoying what little flightsimming time I have. As an ex-pilot, I lost my license due to health reasons and I'm not sure if I'll ever get it back. For me flying in FSX is the next best thing. So, excuse me if I don't take time out of my busy schedule just to come here and spend it reading posts so that I would be accepted as part of your community.

Also note that this is not just a regular forum where its members are not paying customers. This is a "SUPPORT" forum intended to provide support to paying customers. Imagine you were buying a TV at Best Buy and you had some technical questions, would you be happy if you were told "Hey buddy read the damn manual. It's all in there"? When people pay for something, they expect fast and courteous service/support. But then again what do I know? I've only been in business successfully for the last 32 years.

Since there is a 5 quote restriction in this forum, I will continue my reply in the next post.

Hahahaha, I can't even continue my reply because now it's telling me that my post was made too quickly. OMG!!! This is ridiculous and it borders on insanity!

Tony Boutros

You don't need to see the logic of the explanation, you don't need to understand why the earth spins either.

Once again Andrew, I beg to differ. I'm a paying customer, I DEFINITELY DO NEED to know the reason (or the logic) why a merchant I just paid my money to is insisting that I reveal my private information to the entire forum membership which he/she is sending me to in order to gain support for his/her product. Similarly, if I paid to have the earth spin, then I definitely have every right to ask when and how it's going to spin. I can't believe you even said that. And you're calling me arrogant!!

If you want to talk about your freedoms all day, go play on some political blogs. If you want to talk about PMDG aircraft with a community that would help you if only you didn't start chopping people's heads off, then relax, read the rules, and agree to be a good citizen.

SIR, YES SIR!! I guess you've made it perfectly clear that on this PMDG forum it's do as you're told or get the hell out, despite the fact that you just paid us $240. Here you go this should be the forum's motto: "Here at PMDG Forum, we strive for excellence at setting the rules and we expect you to follow them without questions whether you like it or not. If not, then you're free to leave and we won't hold it against you. But first allow us to express our gratitude for allowing us to take your money. We certainly loved that and we thank you for shopping at PMDG!"

Furthermore, this run-in with Kyle hardly constitutes "chopping people's heads off". From previous posts, it's quite clear that I was acting in a "respectful manner". I even made helpful suggestions. I NEVER disrespect anyone who didn't have it coming. But how convenient you didn't see that!

If you want to talk about your freedoms all day, go play on some political blogs.

How could I possibly respond to a ridiculous remark such as this other than shaking my head with a big sigh!!!

In closing, as a paying customer, I made a genuine inquiry as to what purpose does the insistence for the use of a full name serve, when you have no efficient way whatsoever to ensure the validity of such a name. It is a rule that doesn't serve the forum in any way, yet it exposes the private information of those paying customers (who do provide their real names) to strangers. If your only answer to that inquiry is "that's the rule take it or leave it" then fine so be it. But, if you insist on taking such an authoritative stance towards a paying customer, then take a good look in the mirror before you refer to me as being childish or arrogant.

Finally, 15 minutes later it accepted my post! What a waste of time!

Tony Boutros

Now, if it were only 20 to 30 minutes one time upon joining as you say, that would be fine and I would have no problem with that. But it isn't. Every time someone asks a question, some smart you know what tells him/her it's already on the forum somewhere and to look for

Ever  used  the search option  usually  doesn't  take 20 minutes  to find  your answer, usually takes about  5  minutes or  so depending  on how you word your search,  and your question on the policy on the full name  in the forum  if  you would have checked  the forum page  its on  the bottom  guess   you might have missed  that part, since you mentioned in your earlier post  you couldn't  find it

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Andrew, with all due respect, I disagree with you. adding the "as the name implies" could very easily be interpreted as condescending. It is not necessary and it certainly doesn't need to be qualified with additional terms such as "obviously" or "moron" in order to be perceived as such. Just because you don't think so, it doesn't mean others won't see it that way. He could have easily written "Nope - PMDG panel states only affect the PMDG panel...". In the art of communication, it is the responsibility of the person communicating to ensure that he is clearly understood. It is not the responsibility of those to whom he's communicating to decipher what he truly means, as long as they are listening with undivided attention (that applies to me as well and I will address that below). And, that's for face to face communication. Obviously this form of communication (text) leaves too much room for misunderstandings hence the need for the communicator to be even more careful with his/her choice of words and/or the format of his/her sentences. Nevertheless, if Kyle's intention were not to be condescending, then I'm big enough to apologize for misreading his intention and, at the same time, I hope that in the future he would make an effort to be more clear. Kyle if you read this, I apologize.

I appreciate you giving some thought to my intentions being neutral.

The "as the name implies" was not meant to condescend. It was used only to draw attention to something that might have been overlooked. Sometimes, things that are right in front of you just slip by. As an example, someone asked me if the PIN I asked them to create had to be numeric. My response was "as the name implies, a personal identification number would only be numbers, yes." It wasn't meant to condescend as much as it was a way to reset their thinking about the term. Sometimes people get so used to seeing/hearing things that they end up getting lumped in with other concepts. PIN, to that person, got lumped in with the concept of a password, which usually allows both. My point was simply to redefine it, mentally, and remind the person that a PIN is numeric. Similarly, the concept of saving the entire sim scenario versus saving a panel state could get lumped together, and the terms confused.

When we say "bye" in Norwegian, we often say "ha det" (informally). My friend - born and raised in Norway - didn't know why. It's short for "ha det bra" (lit. "have it good"). She had literally been saying something her entire life without even giving it a second thought, or understanding why. It's something people naturally do, which is why I added the "as the name implies" - I wanted to draw attention to the term, and not the larger concept of something getting saved.

...and sorry for the belabored point, but I wanted to get into my thought process. Additionally, my Norwegian roots do make me a bit more blunt than most, so I can come across the wrong way sometimes.

As others have noted, the realism comment was related to the reference to a specific door, which distracted me from the jetbridge position point you were trying to make. Unfortunately, to save sim variables, one has to save a flight entirely, which also means you'd have a different saved flight for every location around the world. To me, I've resigned myself to the idea that, even after loading "into" the sim, there are a few minutes of config before I willingly suspend my disbelief. In other words, the config menus aren't real, and neither are some of the initial items once the sim visuals are up (connecting the jetbridge, connecting to VATSIM/IVAO/etc, and so on). Once all of these items are complete, that's when I put myself in the mental state where I'm acting as if it's real.

Also note that this is not just a regular forum where its members are not paying customers. This is a "SUPPORT" forum intended to provide support to paying customers. Imagine you were buying a TV at Best Buy and you had some technical questions, would you be happy if you were told "Hey buddy read the damn manual. It's all in there"? When people pay for something, they expect fast and courteous service/support. But then again what do I know? I've only been in business successfully for the last 32 years.

Haha - nah, they won't tell you to read the manual, they'll just start reading the card displayed right below the product anyway...  :P

Kyle Rodgers

Ever used the search option usually doesn't take 20 minutes to find your answer, usually takes about 5 minutes

Yes Pete I have used a search option before. As I mentioned twice already that I manage and moderate a forum for one of my businesses, so obviously I know all about forum search options. I disagree with you about finding the answer in 5 minutes. Usually, when you do a search you get several results and sifting through them could take some time especially if you want to find the correct answer. Of course one can take the first solution presented and that would be quick, but it might not be the right solution to your problem. As a result, you're back to the forum to find an alternate solution, hence more time wasted. On the flip side, if one of the moderators knows the correct solution because he/she has been exposed to it previously, he/she can post it in a couple of minutes saving valuable time that could otherwise be wasted doing trial and error. But most importantly, the paying customer is now happy, impressed and appreciative of the fast support he received and that always leads to more referrals and more business. How can anyone disagree with this logic?

The "as the name implies" was not meant to condescend. It was used only to draw attention to something that might have been overlooked.

Yes I now understand your intention and I'm glad this issue is behind us and I assume things are cool between us. Am I right?

Having read your last post, I now realize something else. Sometimes I forget that people from other countries communicate in different ways with different meanings despite the fact that they are using the English language. How we use some English terms in North America might not have the same meaning or connotation as in different parts of the world. I learned this when I lived in the Philippines, which is the 4th largest English-speaking country. But I guess I have forgotten this and I needed to be reminded of it. Heck, there are even differences between Canada and the US! I guess the lesson learned here is that I need to be more aware of this fact and not to hang on every word a person says.

Tony Boutros

Tony,

You made some fair points and I am sorry for being harsh and name-calling. Ordinarily, I'm a very likable guy, I bet if we met we could be friends. I don't want to get bent out of shape nor cause others to do the same, so I humbly extend an olive branch with hopes we can get back on track and help each other out.

Andrew Farmer

My flight sim blog: Fly, Farmer, Fly!

Yes I now understand your intention and I'm glad this issue is behind us and I assume things are cool between us. Am I right?

Of course!

Having read your last post, I now realize something else. Sometimes I forget that people from other countries communicate in different ways with different meanings despite the fact that they are using the English language. How we use some English terms in North America might not have the same meaning or connotation as in different parts of the world. I learned this when I lived in the Philippines, which is the 4th largest English-speaking country. But I guess I have forgotten this and I needed to be reminded of it. Heck, there are even differences between Canada and the US! I guess the lesson learned here is that I need to be more aware of this fact and not to hang on every word a person says.

That's definitely the truth. I run into this a lot with some of my friends (and occasionally co-workers).

Kyle Rodgers

To whom it may concern. I was programing the fmc i hit the simulation button and i press captains set button and the screen went total blank. now i have a problem getting it back on. Is there anyone can please help me to reset the FMC

17 hours ago, nathansweeney said:

To whom it may concern. I was programing the fmc i hit the simulation button and i press captains set button and the screen went total blank. now i have a problem getting it back on. Is there anyone can please help me to reset the FMC

Please expand your explanation of what you did.  There is no simulation button and I don't understand "captains set button."  Is this the L or R CDU and what are the others displaying?

Edited by downscc

Dan Downs KCRP