Sign in to follow this  
bakka

Flight Planning

What do you guys use to plan flights? Im using www.airnav.com/airports but its still abit of a pain (its good once your in the air but abit hard to plan) Its bad when you have to load up fsx to make a flight plan for a modern sim. A site that you can input origin and destination and see near by Nav aids is what im looking for

You can do a flight plan using skyvector.com which is what most of us used in real life. Pretty easy, it has a "rubber band" magenta line to each landmark with compass heading and estimated time for each leg.

Thanks mate, thats just what I was looking for it!

The more I look on forums the more I find real world pilots (which I am not) taking an interest in ms flight which is encouraging

I use Plan-G, which I still had installed. You do need to have FSX installed to build the database though... I have uinstalled FSX in the meantime, but Plan-G still works. Nice thing is that as far as I can tell FSX and Flight use the same database. It's easy to create a plan and you can simply make a not of all the headings and VORs etc. (or print it, I guess). And even though your plane doesn't show up in Plan-G, you can check the Plan-G map for landmarks to get you where you want to go.

Obviously I would prefer a good ingame map and planner!

Here is a plan I flew today. Created it in Plan-G and I was able to fly it all the way just by looking at landmarks! Big fun!

7472284458_871a9a7997_h.jpg

Here is how that same region looks on the ingame map... As you can see there is no detail at all in the ingame map. Another problem: I can't even see my depature and destination airport!

7472283328_e25cfab61f_h.jpg

I had to zoom in this much to see my departur airport...

7472282860_4e96d24e4b_h.jpg

...and then I had to scroll up to see my destination. It's IMPOSSIBLE to plan a detailed flight. The problem is also that you can ONLY do jobs if you fly above the mountains because there is no way to figure out which valley you have to follow to get to your destination, with or without marker and glance.

7472282602_ab3e51ae6e_h.jpg

On this shot I painted the exact Plan-G flightplan and you can also see the two zoomed maps which I Photoshopped into it: they show how much I had to zoom in before I could actually see my depature and destination airport: it's impossible to see them both in one screen...! And so it's also impossible to plan a flight using this map.

7472282136_7bcfe7ffd1_h.jpg

Nice flyplan and yes the ingame map really does suck. I dont even look at it anymore other than to start my flight. You should check out Manly Springs airstrip (PAML) I've just flown there, I have pointers turned off and flew past it a few times dismissing it as a street. Fun and challenging place to land.

I never used to use any kind of flight planning in FS3 - FSX but since Flight I've become a SkyVector convert. In fact with the two monitor setup I have it's easier to have Flight on one and SkyVector on the other. With a decent 'in-game' map I would be forever switching between the two.

On my second monitor I also have FS Widgets GMap so I can tell exactly where I am on any flight at any time.

Blackrat

Wow! This is unbelievable. Some quality this is. Surely, there is more to come and soon I hope.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Wow! This is unbelievable. Some quality this is. Surely, there is more to come and soon I hope.

Ray

I am really curious what 'this' is... :wink: skyvector? Gmap? airnav.com? Plan-G?

Here you go, the best of both. Happy navigating.

MSF_1.jpg

Ray

I was referring to the the choppy green triangles you are using for a map.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Here you go, the best of both. Happy navigating.

I was referring to the the choppy green triangles you are using for a map.

Ray

LOL Luckily I am not using it for a map... :wink:

1. Plan your flight with Plan-G (or any other favorite), save as an FSX .pln file

2. Start GMap and import the saved FSX .pln file

3. Fly your flightplan following the route shown in GMap

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1. Plan your flight with Plan-G (or any other favorite), save as an FSX .pln file

2. Start GMap and import the saved FSX .pln file

3. Fly your flightplan following the route shown in GMap

Why didn't I think of that myself...! :wink:

Why didn't I think of that myself...! :wink:

Since I use a 42" HDTV via HDMI for Flight, I really don't mind using "Windowed Mode," so I can move GMap over to my 24" left side monitor.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Since I use a 42" HDTV via HDMI for Flight, I really don't mind using "Windowed Mode," so I can move GMap over to my 24" left side monitor.

Can I come over to play?

But anyway, I'm quite content with my old-school paper charts and a plotter for planning my flights. I will be buying Gmap for Android and the sectionals for it though, as soon as the Flight version works with it. My tablet fits perfectly between my stick and throttles.