Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

So who's made the switch from FSX?

OK guys, I'm an avid FSX simmer and more or less happy with my setup. However, I am never one to say never, and while I initially didn't consider XP10 I am now actually open to at least the idea of considering the new platform. I have to say, I get pretty fed up with the blurries and low frames at some airports and it seems I spend most of my time tweaking and fiddling! So, can anyone provide me with an idea of the benefits of a switch to XP from FSX. I have to say that while I see a lot of good scenery, lots of it appears to be photosceneries, which I don't particularly care for. I don't like the clouds in XP10 either, which IMO look awful. So what is the opinion of anyone who has moved from FSX and can offer a very objective view point, cheers fellas...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hey Howard!

I was an FS franchise user since the days of FS1. I made the switch to X-Plane 10 after the whole Flight debacle and I have to say that so far XPX seems like a much better and stable platfrom than FSX. You won't get the eye candy you get from FSX in the scenery department but the sim is little by little getting there. I think that XPX represents the case of waiting longer for better quality rather than getting something now with lesser quality. Instead of providing you a comparison list which would make me feel like I'm at work, I'll give you the three things you won't immediately get with XPX:

1. The ATC engine albeit is there, needs a lot of work. The ATC in FSX was not anything to rave home about but at least you could complete a flight from A-Z IFR or VFR pretty easily and semi-realistically. You can with X-Plane's but it is a little more corky. Word has it that Laminar is revamping the ATC in subsequent versions.

2. AI Traffic. XPX allows you to have up to 20 AI aircraft roaming the skies around you but they do not follow routes like they do in FS and they use high quality aircraft that have good flight models, killing your frames. It is common to find a 747 in a tiny little airport, killing the reality factor. Airports filled with realistic AI traffic a la FSX is not a reality with XPX today. Rumor has it that a 3rd party is working on a program like X-Traffic or Project AI. Hang tight for this one.

3. Aircraft addon quality is 10 times better than FSX (graphics and flight models), but they are slow to come. Airport scenery eye candy quality cannot be compared to FSX. There are a couple of airport addons that are available of incredible quality that do surpass FSX's but they are few and they are usually airports not many people care about. I'd say that eventually this area will get better and payware and freeware developers will get to the same level as FSX but it's still a ways.

If you can deal with these three issues which I think are temporary, you'll enjoy this simulator much better than FSX.

Cheers.

Dennis

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Hi Howard

I too tried Xplan 10 and like the other reply you got,think

that the scenery in FSX/Prepar3D are way better than X10

However the planes are much more realistic in X10 but again are very few.

I left X10 and are now using Prepar3D which seems much better than FSX

Bye,

David

I own fsx,fs9 and xpx and no offense to other xpx owners but my fs9 setup looks better than xpx. I understand that it will take $$$$ to get a good xpx setup but for now I'm still on fs9/fsx and xpx has been grounded.

Hey Howard!

I was an FS franchise user since the days of FS1. I made the switch to X-Plane 10 after the whole Flight debacle and I have to say that so far XPX seems like a much better and stable platfrom than FSX. You won't get the eye candy you get from FSX in the scenery department but the sim is little by little getting there. I think that XPX represents the case of waiting longer for better quality rather than getting something now with lesser quality. Instead of providing you a comparison list which would make me feel like I'm at work, I'll give you the three things you won't immediately get with XPX:

1. The ATC engine albeit is there, needs a lot of work. The ATC in FSX was not anything to rave home about but at least you could complete a flight from A-Z IFR or VFR pretty easily and semi-realistically. You can with X-Plane's but it is a little more corky. Word has it that Laminar is revamping the ATC in subsequent versions.

2. AI Traffic. XPX allows you to have up to 20 AI aircraft roaming the skies around you but they do not follow routes like they do in FS and they use high quality aircraft that have good flight models, killing your frames. It is common to find a 747 in a tiny little airport, killing the reality factor. Airports filled with realistic AI traffic a la FSX is not a reality with XPX today. Rumor has it that a 3rd party is working on a program like X-Traffic or Project AI. Hang tight for this one.

3. Aircraft addon quality is 10 times better than FSX (graphics and flight models), but they are slow to come. Airport scenery eye candy quality cannot be compared to FSX. There are a couple of airport addons that are available of incredible quality that do surpass FSX's but they are few and they are usually airports not many people care about. I'd say that eventually this area will get better and payware and freeware developers will get to the same level as FSX but it's still a ways.

If you can deal with these three issues which I think are temporary, you'll enjoy this simulator much better than FSX.

Cheers.

Dennis

Thanks a bunch Dennis, your reply makes very interesting reading. I suspect your points about the future will be well founded, but the three aspects you mentioned are fairly important to me. Not so much the ATC, but the AI and visuals are paramount.

Hi Howard

I too tried Xplan 10 and like the other reply you got,think

that the scenery in FSX/Prepar3D are way better than X10

However the planes are much more realistic in X10 but again are very few.

I left X10 and are now using Prepar3D which seems much better than FSX

Bye,

David

David, thanks also for the reply. I have considered the jump to P3D and suspect it's a good way forward for us FSXers looking for that little bit more stability. Is there anything in P3D that you can say has really won you over David. In particular I am looking at smoothness and texture loading, cheers.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Until the day comes...................that a particular sim has the best aircraft, the most aircraft, the best flight dynamics for every aircraft, and the best world wide scenery.......................there is NO reason to switch. Just keep an open mind, and use ALL sims............in order to enjoy what's actually possible. I don't believe in this "jumping to, moving on, or switching" stuff. If you do, you've brought on instant limitations. But that's your choice, I suppose.

L.Adamson

OK guys, I'm an avid FSX simmer and more or less happy with my setup. However, I am never one to say never, and while I initially didn't consider XP10 I am now actually open to at least the idea of considering the new platform. I have to say, I get pretty fed up with the blurries and low frames at some airports and it seems I spend most of my time tweaking and fiddling! So, can anyone provide me with an idea of the benefits of a switch to XP from FSX. I have to say that while I see a lot of good scenery, lots of it appears to be photosceneries, which I don't particularly care for. I don't like the clouds in XP10 either, which IMO look awful. So what is the opinion of anyone who has moved from FSX and can offer a very objective view point, cheers fellas...

Why do you have to switch from one to the other? I for one still use them all (XPX, FSX, Flight, P3D) as they all have their pros and cons. The night lighting and HDR effect in XPX are second to none. However FSX using a good jet (such as PMDGs 737 which in my opinion has no counterpart in the same league in XPX) and some nice AI traffic and maybe even FS2CREW is really how you spell "immersion".

I would never switch to just one of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Why do you have to switch from one to the other? I for one still use them all (XPX, FSX, Flight, P3D) as they all have their pros and cons. The night lighting and HDR effect in XPX are second to none. However FSX using a good jet (such as PMDGs 737 which in my opinion has no counterpart in the same league in XPX) and some nice AI traffic and maybe even FS2CREW is really how you spell "immersion".

I would never switch to just one of them.

So how do I fly my NGX in two sims along with REX, FSUIPC, LINDA, Ezdok etc etc? it would be a configuration nightmare.

Howard

If you listened to Austin on the AVSIM Teamspeak conference, he thought ATC was fine as it is, in his words "It Rocks!" and has no plans of changing it. He stated the major changes in X-Plane for the next 24 months are planned to be with the new GUI and the 64bit implementation. All other changes he considered will be minor.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

So how do I fly my NGX in two sims along with REX, FSUIPC, LINDA, Ezdok etc etc? it would be a configuration nightmare.

Not really sure if I get your point here...? Flying the NGX in two sims with add ons made for just one of them? Maybe I am a bit tired but you have to elaborate on that.

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Not really sure if I get your point here...? Flying the NGX in two sims with add ons made for just one of them? Maybe I am a bit tired but you have to elaborate on that.

Well I could just see a load of problems arising from running two sims side by side sharing the same hardware with different Windows configs. Maybe not, just a hunch...

Howard

Well I could just see a load of problems arising from running two sims side by side sharing the same hardware with different Windows configs. Maybe not, just a hunch...

Ah, now I see.. Well, I haven't encountered any dealbraking problems yet using my above mentioned sims.

Richard

Hi Howard

So how do I fly my NGX in two sims along with REX, FSUIPC, LINDA, Ezdok etc etc? it would be a configuration nightmare

In Prepar3D (based on FSX engine),you can use all the special add-on/modules like:FSUIPC,Ezca,trackIr5,you have in FSX.

You have to build your own EXE.XML file to handle them,but it is not a big deal.

If You like me to guide you,then be my guest.

Bye,

David

Ah, now I see.. Well, I haven't encountered any dealbraking problems yet using my above mentioned sims.

Interesting to hear that Richard, thanks...

Hi Howard

In Prepar3D (based on FSX engine),you can use all the special add-on/modules like:FSUIPC,Ezca,trackIr5,you have in FSX.

You have to build your own EXE.XML file to handle them,but it is not a big deal.

If You like me to guide you,then be my guest.

Bye,

David

I may well take you up on that David. I very much appreciate your offer... tell me though, I keep hearing differing opinions about P3D, have you found any real tangible improvement, re framerate, smoothness and texture loading?

Howard

Ive used FSX since the day it came out and every other MS ver before that. I enjoyed FSX A lot of the years and never had any issues with it. I have tons of FSX addons, Planes sceney etc. My FSX install was Well over 250 GB worth.

Over a year ago, I heard about P3d and gave that a try for the then $10 a month program. I liked it a little better than FSX because it cured some of the Blurry scenery issues I had with FSX, and most of the addons I had, worked with it fine. But it was not a major change from FSX. I guess I was getting a little bored with FSX since it was over 6 years and although some great addons came out that really made FSX a wonderful sim, I wanted something different.

So last Nov\Dec when the XP10 demo came out, I downloaded it and played around with it for a few days. I hated it, and went promptly back to P3d and FSX. Why didnt I like it? Im not sure. I was looking for stuff I didnt like about it. I had lots of money invested in FSX and the thought of starting over with another sim was dauntlng. It wasnt hard to pick apart the XPX demo. The AI was horrible and the default planes were like something from FS9 or earlier. I took it off went back to P3d.

Then I started reading about people who were enjoying X-plane 10 and I thought how can that be? I must be missing something! There must be something about X-plane Im not seeing in the demo ver, so I went and ordered the full version. Since the default planes were not impressive, I went and bought the Carenado Bonanza too. This was a plane I had in FSX, so the comparison would be good. That made a big difference.

After a few days with the full version and the Bonanza, I started to like XP10. It wasnt love at first site, but I started to see what was different and how I might like it better. The blurry scenery issues from FSX were gone and althought XP10 lacked a lot of the eye candy that FSX had with addons, I was getting a much better feeling of flight with XP. I then started buying more addons for XP. eventually I got sucked into the XP world. and I found myself enjoying way more than I have with FSX and P3d in recent months. I love the clouds much better in XP-10 than FSX. In FSX they are like highly difined billborads floating in the sky and rotate around you as you fly by. Although REX is a great addon, I found the clouds way too defined looking and not very realistic. In XP10, as I move throught the clouds they look more 3- dimensional. AT certain angles, the clouds in XP can look like smoke (which I dont like), but in most situations they are breath taking especially at dusk and dawn.

The lack of belivable AI is the one thing that annoys me in XP10 and I was disapointed to here Austins remarks on the Teamspeak conference, when He talked about it like it was the best system you could have in a flight sim. However, I have hopes that a 3rd party developer will eventually create something that will remedy this. The ai issue is not that important to me since Im not into plane spotting, but I can see where someone coming from FSX might be disapointed in that area.

Some of the addons I have purchased for X-Plane have blown me away (LES DC-3, DDenn Challenger, Rollons CRJ, All the Carendao conversions) just to name a few. The Aerosoft sceneried have been impressive too. The lighting in XP is second to none IMO. all these have given me a flight sim experence I havent had in years and has re-awoken my lofe for flight sims.

Like others have said, there is no reason not to have them all. Right now, I have FSX/P3d XP10, Aerofly, Rise of Flight, DCS A10 & Mustang. I use them all, but spend the majority of it in XPX.

Rob