Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

So who's made the switch from FSX?

Ive used FSX since the day it came out and every other MS ver before that. I enjoyed FSX A lot of the years and never had any issues with it. I have tons of FSX addons, Planes sceney etc. My FSX install was Well over 250 GB worth.

Over a year ago, I heard about P3d and gave that a try for the then $10 a month program. I liked it a little better than FSX because it cured some of the Blurry scenery issues I had with FSX, and most of the addons I had, worked with it fine. But it was not a major change from FSX. I guess I was getting a little bored with FSX since it was over 6 years and although some great addons came out that really made FSX a wonderful sim, I wanted something different.

So last Nov\Dec when the XP10 demo came out, I downloaded it and played around with it for a few days. I hated it, and went promptly back to P3d and FSX. Why didnt I like it? Im not sure. I was looking for stuff I didnt like about it. I had lots of money invested in FSX and the thought of starting over with another sim was dauntlng. It wasnt hard to pick apart the XPX demo. The AI was horrible and the default planes were like something from FS9 or earlier. I took it off went back to P3d.

Then I started reading about people who were enjoying X-plane 10 and I thought how can that be? I must be missing something! There must be something about X-plane Im not seeing in the demo ver, so I went and ordered the full version. Since the default planes were not impressive, I went and bought the Carenado Bonanza too. This was a plane I had in FSX, so the comparison would be good. That made a big difference.

After a few days with the full version and the Bonanza, I started to like XP10. It wasnt love at first site, but I started to see what was different and how I might like it better. The blurry scenery issues from FSX were gone and althought XP10 lacked a lot of the eye candy that FSX had with addons, I was getting a much better feeling of flight with XP. I then started buying more addons for XP. eventually I got sucked into the XP world. and I found myself enjoying way more than I have with FSX and P3d in recent months. I love the clouds much better in XP-10 than FSX. In FSX they are like highly difined billborads floating in the sky and rotate around you as you fly by. Although REX is a great addon, I found the clouds way too defined looking and not very realistic. In XP10, as I move throught the clouds they look more 3- dimensional. AT certain angles, the clouds in XP can look like smoke (which I dont like), but in most situations they are breath taking especially at dusk and dawn.

The lack of belivable AI is the one thing that annoys me in XP10 and I was disapointed to here Austins remarks on the Teamspeak conference, when He talked about it like it was the best system you could have in a flight sim. However, I have hopes that a 3rd party developer will eventually create something that will remedy this. The ai issue is not that important to me since Im not into plane spotting, but I can see where someone coming from FSX might be disapointed in that area.

Some of the addons I have purchased for X-Plane have blown me away (LES DC-3, DDenn Challenger, Rollons CRJ, All the Carendao conversions) just to name a few. The Aerosoft sceneried have been impressive too. The lighting in XP is second to none IMO. all these have given me a flight sim experence I havent had in years and has re-awoken my lofe for flight sims.

Like others have said, there is no reason not to have them all. Right now, I have FSX/P3d XP10, Aerofly, Rise of Flight, DCS A10 & Mustang. I use them all, but spend the majority of it in XPX.

Rob

Great bit of info Rob, thanks. You've given me plenty to think about...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hey Howard!

Dennis here again! A couple fo other things that come to mind and that you should consider:

1. If you are looking for a great flying experience from the standpoint of aircraft behaviour in real weather, X-Plane is your sim. FSX always felt fake to me, even with the best aircraft addons of the likes of PMDG and others. For some reason the way FSX handles the flight model against weather never felt right to me. For example, turbulence; FSX never simulated the effects of turbulence on the aircraft very well - X-Plane does. So, if you're shooting an ILS approach with a 15kt quarter wind, you're airplane will remind you of the flying conditions instead of just coming down in a rail like environment as in FSX, so you will have to use your pilot skills in a more realistic way. Others may argue, but the folks that are real life pilots in this community (myself included) can tell you that the flight model in XP is much more realistic than the other sims.

2. Even though the ATC engine does need a lot of work (regardless of what Austin Meyer may think - IT DOES), it does a couple of things that are better than FSX. For example, you have to know you're frequencies if you want to talk to the tower - period. That's real life like and I like it because it forces you to prepare as you would in real life. Again, Austin and the gang should have their work cut out with the ATC engine for a future release because it is incomplete at the moment but bear in mind that XPX is the frst release that offers ATC, so we'll see what the fututre holds here.

3. Weather. I'm not going to go into a lot of detail here other than the weather and the environment in X-Plane is second to none - you won't be disappointed here.

4. The inmersion experience with X-Plane is better than with FSX and the likes. Yes, with FSX you get the beautifully rendered airports (given that you have a monster machine) but with X-Plane you don't need the horsepower you need to run FSX and when you look at the new highway environment, the train system, the plausible world, and the overall landscape, it's nice - and without having to invest a ton of money in scenery enhancement stuff or FSGenesis like terrain stuff.

5. Night lighting was one of those things I never thought about until I transitioned to X-Plane and realized how realistic X-Plane makes it. Believe me - it makes a difference in night flying.

6. You will have to spend some money in the good aircraft addons and high quality airport addons that may come but I think that the long-term cost of running X-Plane is far less than the cost of running FSX when you consider hardware requirements, addon requirements, and time wasted tweaking the darn thing.

My other 2 cents.

Dennis

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

Hey Howard!

For what is worth..............I am more of a heavy metal type guy than anything else. Today something possesed me to go try a coupld of carrier landings in order to test the experience in X-Plane. WOW!!! I never expected the thrill I got. First of all the carriers in X-Plane are extremely detailed and very well made. Second, they tilt, they move, the weather affects their position, and if you stand in the deck, you actually see the deck going up and down as in real life - believe me - I was a Hawkeye driver for several years and I know what it's like. This was awesome!!! You have to call the ball as in real life and you better be on the numbers or you're going to have a bad day fast. Again, I'm more of a heavy metal guy so I don't think this is going to be my day to day thing with X-Plane, but if you like military stuff, X-Plane again is your sim. Also, if you like Helos, nothing beats X-Plane's oil rigs and building helo landing platforms.

cheers.!

Dennis

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

System Specs: Motherboard:  Gygabyte Aorus Z390 Master.  CPU: Intel 9th Gen Core i9 9900kf Eight-Core 3.6Mhz overclocked to 5Mhz.  Memory:  64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM 3200MHZ RGB.  GPU: 11GB GeForce RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Hybrid.  Monitor: Viotek 34" curved GNV34DBE.  Power Supply: 1000 Watt Power supply. HD 1: 1TB Samsung 9780 EVO Plus NVMe SSD.  HD 2: 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD

Flight Sim Hardware:  Joystick: Thrustmaster T16000M.  Rudder Pedals: Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Pedals.  Yoke: Honeycomb Alpha.  Throttles: Honeycomb Bravo.

love the clouds much better in XP-10 than FSX. In FSX they are like highly difined billborads floating in the sky and rotate around you as you fly by.

I have both sims. But I don't go along with the billboard effect. This is FSX, with no weather extras. Just the default program.

The OP asked what's in X Plane. Not to see screenshots of FSX in the X Plane forums.

1. If you are looking for a great flying experience from the standpoint of aircraft behaviour in real weather, X-Plane is your sim. FSX always felt fake to me, even with the best aircraft addons of the likes of PMDG and others. For some reason the way FSX handles the flight model against weather never felt right to me. For example, turbulence; FSX never simulated the effects of turbulence on the aircraft very well - X-Plane does. So, if you're shooting an ILS approach with a 15kt quarter wind, you're airplane will remind you of the flying conditions instead of just coming down in a rail like environment as in FSX, so you will have to use your pilot skills in a more realistic way. Others may argue, but the folks that are real life pilots in this community (myself included) can tell you that the flight model in XP is much more realistic than the other sims.

I disagree with that one too! There are some models I like in XP, but I sure wouldn't discount my Baytower RV7 (FSX), the RealAir Marchetti SF260, as well as a number of others for FSX. I hear the new RealAir Lancair Legacy for FSX is a gem too. My point is this..............I have built & flew a Van's RV, as well as numerous other models. I've done laser dog fighting in the Marchetti SF260, and I don't find anything in the XP flight model as being better. I feel that I have every right to make these comments in this X-Plane forum. Notice, I'm not chopping down XP. I'm just stating that as a pilot myself, I don't agree with other comments in regards to superiority in flight models.

L.Adamson --- XP8,9,10 demo, FS9,FSX

The OP asked what's in X Plane. Not to see screenshots of FSX in the X Plane forums.

This is once again, an X-Plane versus FSX question. I didn't start it. But if you want to make AVSIM just like X-Plane org.............in which FSX is chopped to the bone in favor of X-Plane, and then edit out all controversy and ban people who like FSX too...............then that is what this will become. I feel that I have every right to dispell certain information, that I feel is not exactly correct.

edit: You're an X-Plane developer. Austin claims that he's only used MSFS for 15 mins. You've claimed that you've used FSX very little. Your financial outcome depends on X-Plane. You've made many claims that FSX is dead in the water, and won't be improved. Truth is, it's STILL being improved all the time. 3rd party products are still high in demand. My position, is that there is no need to jump ship, move on, or switch. My position is to use ALL, that have appealing aspects. And I feel that I can make informed decisions, and counter a few claims, that I see around here.

Hey L. Adamson!

Actually is good to have different opinions in this thread so Howard can see the good and the bad as well as weigh the diffrerent experiences and determine what to do. FSX definitely has it's great things don't get me wrong. Flight model stuff at the end of the day comes to a matter of personal opinion. In my case I was a weather pilot for the military for many years so I base my weather-influenced flight model comments on my personal experience - I am a little biased - I do think there are superior differences in how XPX handles vs FSX but again is good to have this conversation. Maybe the best thing for Howard would be to experience both sims and come up with his own conclusion.

Cheers.

Dennis

Sincerely,

Dennis D. Müllert

Yes, FSX clouds look great for screenshots, but flying through them is where It looses me and thats whats more important to me. In XPX they have a much more 3D feel to them. Although they dont always great in XP, they are an improvementt over FSX clouds IMO.

Rob

I have both sims. But I don't go along with the billboard effect. This is FSX, with no weather extras. Just the default program.

Read his post Larry.

Particularly this part...

"So, can anyone provide me with an idea of the benefits of a switch to XP from FSX."

That is what he is asking.

It's just that certain people keep talking about how good FSX is, even when no one is asking about it. This is an x plane forum. Not an FSX forum

So what is the opinion of anyone who has moved from FSX and can offer a very objective view point, cheers fellas...

My 1st simulator was subLOGIC's Flight Simulator II for Amiga 500. I bought every FS version until FS2004, I switched from FS2004 to X-Plane 9 and then to X-Plane 10. FS is very nice for autopilot/FMS flying when you install nice add-ons from Level-D or PMDG. But I don't like it for manual flying, and my hardware isn't made for FSX.

In X-Plane, I prefer the flight models you get with add-ons, I prefer the frame rates, the very nice graphics, the add-on sceneries using OSM2XP, and the easy user interface where you don't need to graduate in order to edit cfg files.

Happy flying.

Read his post Larry.

Particularly this part...

"So, can anyone provide me with an idea of the benefits of a switch to XP from FSX."

That is what he is asking.

It's just that certain people keep talking about how good FSX is, even when no one is asking about it. This is an x plane forum. Not an FSX forum

This complete thread is about positives/negatives in regard to X-Plane & FSX. You know it, and so do I.

In my case I was a weather pilot for the military for many years so I base my weather-influenced flight model comments on my personal experience - I am a little biased - I do think there are superior differences in how XPX handles vs FSX but again is good to have this conversation.

And I've heard, that XP-10 is rather good for weather. That's great. My thoughts are based more on single engine high performance airplanes. At this point, I just don't see leaps ahead for either sim.

I hope more folks join in and pass along their experiences with both, or either. I am from the mild mannered camp and tend not to take sides but willing to listen to anyone that makes sense. I keep wanting to fly with MS Flight but those guys in that forum act like they are from Mars and it is tough for me to keep turning the other cheek. I personally don't see MS Flight ever growing into a real flight simulator. But, when Aerosoft jumped on the X-plane wagon it sure got my attention. That may be just what was needed at the right time to attract more folks to experience it and spend some money.

The same for Carenado making most of their planes available for x-plane. I do enjoy the FSX Orbx scenery but I have not closed my eyes and jumped in the P3D pool as they have suggested. I have high hopes that one or the other or maybe both will be the successor to FSX.

What is really tough for me is the thought of giving up some of the absolutely outstanding addons for FSX that have been recently made available from A2A, Milviz, BayTower, RealAir, and PMDG. I keep hearing bits and pieces that some of these can be partially adapted to the P3D although maybe not totally legit in the legal department.

I would like to hear from some level headed X-plane users that also have experienced some of these recent high end add ons like the RealAir Legacy and Baytower RV-7 in FSX and how they feel about the flight dynamics of the future add ons for X-plane of similar types.

Thanks Howard for starting the thread. All you other posters, thanks all for your responses, good reading.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Honestly, the best advise I have seen a couple times today in a couple of threads is to put different sims on the same machine and use what you feel like using.

There is no technical reason or limitation, other than disk space, why this cannot be done.

I have fsx, p3d, BMS, DCS, il2, XPX and each one of them does something that another does not do as well.

I pick what I want to do and use the right sim. Yes, I have a favourite that I spend most of my time in based on genre but I have no hesitation loading up another one depending on what I am interested in.

You may not like the look of XPX but if you want to do some night time circuits, practice IFR at night then you would most likely load up XPX. If you wanted to fly VFR in Aussie and had orbx, no doubt you would turn to FSX.

If you can afford to switch then you can afford to put XPX on and use it for what you think it's good for. That might not be all your flying for sure. I don't have any single sim I could spend my whole time in, I would loose interest.

This complete thread is about positives/negatives in regard to X-Plane & FSX. You know it, and so do I.

Read the OP again.

It's about what is in X Plane that has caused people to switch. No one asked about FSX payware, your experience in them or to see screenshots of add ons and/or weather in FSX.

Like I said, this is an x plane forum. Where x plane enthusiasts gather to talk about x plane.

I haven't posted anything about x plane in any other forum in avsim and I have not trashed FSX in any way, shape or form. So this talk about me wanting to turn avsim into another x plane.org is just ludicrous.

That's what I know.

Read the OP again.

It's about what is in X Plane that has caused people to switch. No one asked about FSX payware, your experience in them or to see screenshots of add ons and/or weather in FSX.

Like I said, this is an x plane forum. Where x plane enthusiasts gather to talk about x plane.

I haven't posted anything about x plane in any other forum in avsim and I have not trashed FSX in any way, shape or form. So this talk about me wanting to turn avsim into another x plane.org is just ludicrous.

That's what I know.

Sorry Goran, but Larry's right, it only took the second post to start the comparisons

"If you can deal with these three issues which I think are temporary, you'll enjoy this simulator much better than FSX."

and then it went on from there. The reason these threads end up XP vs FSX threads are these type of responses. You see things like the flight model is better in XP then FSX! You know that will certainly rile up Larry! This is when you get the opposing view point defending their position. With few exceptions, which are usually threads that start up FSX vs XP by someone trying to stir things up, (In which case you see the same problems we see here) you don't see threads descending into these sim vs sim threads over in the FS forums. There too busy with the this addon is better then this addon type threads. (Which is just as bad) As Larry stated before XP should be able to stand up for itself, without comparisons. Do that and you'll see a lot less FSX posters coming over here to defend remarks made by XP users that they consider inaccurate or have a difference of opinion, and more of the XP addon vs XP addon threads!!! :lol:

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d