Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

So who's made the switch from FSX?

I don't want to ramble so I'll try to make this short.

First, I disagree with you. Larry is not right. Sure, the comparisons started in the 2nd reply, but then it just snowballed until Oliver posted a screenshot of FSX with default weather. Why? If you read the whole thread, all the OP wanted to know was what is it about x plane that made people switch. It wasn't an FSX vs X Plane thread.

This area of avsim is for X plane users, developers, a really excited user, and for those that have an open mind about what X plane can and cannot do.

Of course there are those that will have the opinion that X Plane is better than FSX. Likewise, there will be those that will disagree and say that FSX is better than X Plane. So what? Isn't that what's so great about this society? Freedom of choice. No one goes into any of the other forums and starts glorifying X Plane and what it can do. We choose to stay here and TRY to enjoy ourselves.

Personally, i've refrained from posting here much anymore because of all this pointless debate.

It's all an endless tit for tat, which gets boring real fast and always ends up at square one with more frustration than resolution and wasted time for those of us who do this for a living.

My point is, this is our little corner of avsim where we would like to come and discuss all things x plane. Almost like a clubhouse. It's not a big corner, and when people keep coming in and throwing their FSX weight around in a forum that has absolutely nothing to do with FSX, it turns other people, who may know a lot about X Plane, from posting here.

We want to keep it friendly.

I don't want to ramble so I'll try to make this short.

First, I disagree with you. Larry is not right. Sure, the comparisons started in the 2nd reply, but then it just snowballed until Oliver posted a screenshot of FSX with default weather. Why? If you read the whole thread, all the OP wanted to know was what is it about x plane that made people switch. It wasn't an FSX vs X Plane thread.

This area of avsim is for X plane users, developers, a really excited user, and for those that have an open mind about what X plane can and cannot do.

Of course there are those that will have the opinion that X Plane is better than FSX. Likewise, there will be those that will disagree and say that FSX is better than X Plane. So what? Isn't that what's so great about this society? Freedom of choice. No one goes into any of the other forums and starts glorifying X Plane and what it can do. We choose to stay here and TRY to enjoy ourselves.

Personally, i've refrained from posting here much anymore because of all this pointless debate.

It's all an endless tit for tat, which gets boring real fast and always ends up at square one with more frustration than resolution and wasted time for those of us who do this for a living.

My point is, this is our little corner of avsim where we would like to come and discuss all things x plane. Almost like a clubhouse. It's not a big corner, and when people keep coming in and throwing their FSX weight around in a forum that has absolutely nothing to do with FSX, it turns other people, who may know a lot about X Plane, from posting here.

We want to keep it friendly.

Then talk about X-Plane not how much better it is then FSX!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I always do.

BTW, I never initiated a "this is better than that". I would say I, personally, in my own opinion, prefer X Plane over FSX. An opinion. Something I'm sure everyone can respect. And I'm saying it in an X Plane forum. And I would not expect to be chastized for it in a forum dedicated to my flight sim of choice. Just like I don't chastize others in other forums for their sim of choice. Whether it be Aerofly, DCS, FSX, FS9, etc, etc, ad nauseam.

Have you noticed though, whenever we talk about X Plane, someone comes in and starts going on about how FSX is better.

(See what I mean. Tit for tat...again)

May I ask where in Avsim I could learn something about X-Plane? I thought it was this thread that popped up in the upper left corner of the MAIN avsim home page, but, just like the MS Flight forum, it quickly turned into what it is now. No useful information to be found here.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Hi, all,

This is my first post to this forum, but I have been following it for many months. At the risk of raising the ire of certain X-plane devotees, I'm going to mention that swearword, "FSX." Yes, that's right, I'm a longtime user of FSX, and I really enjoy it, but I, like other posters here, also enjoy other sims. In the past I've tried X-Plane 8 & 9, but soon quit using it because I couldn't stand the native scenery in either, although I have to admit I enjoyed flying around on Mars for awhile. : )

Back in November or December I tried the XPX demo, and I saw quite a bit of potential in the use of dynamic lighting and, at least, the concept of generating a plausible world; it sort of seemed like MS's concept of autogen. In addition, there was the news that FSX third party developers were planning to also develop for X-Plane. So, these things really peaked my interest. I even bought a Carenado addon to try with the demo and was favorably impressed with the flight dynamics.

Consequently I have been experiencing increased hopes for X-Plane to the point that I even bought the first Community Edition by Aerosoft when it was first released. I just wanted to show a little faith and encouragement by investing dollars in it, just as the new third party developers were.

Nevertheless, I'm still not yet using X-Plane, although I would like to. Aside from the three caveats listed toward the top of this thread, which I have no problem with, because I think those issues will eventually be successfully dealt with, the "plausible world" scenery in urban areas simply spoils the immersion factor for me. And I have no doubt that that will be made to be more convincing eventually.

Until that time comes, however, I was recently given new hope when I saw the screen shots that MdMax had been submitting to this and other forums. These were photo scenery sets which also utilized OSM2XP. I have heretofore never liked photo scenery, but these looked so clear and unmuddied. Then, a short time later, that video of Polish scenery came out, and I was stunned. Shortly thereafter a very interesting thread about that video was started on this forum, one of the most interesting I have seen yet. Just when it go going good, it got shut down by the admins due to suspicion of plugging products. That was really too bad!

O.K., so where am i going with this? This kind of scenery is to me a short-term answer to the lack of convincing (hopefully temporary) urban "autogen" scenery. I realize that covering the whole world with scenery as good as that shown in the video would not be practical or even affordable due to the cost of some of the imagery and the hardrive space. Yet one could have, at least, several large scenery areas to fly in, and that would be satisfactory for me, at least for awhile.

The drawback to an FSX user such as me, is the lack of familiarity with configuring XPX scenery. I think it would be really helpful to new users if some generous person with the knowledge and experience were to create a tutorial on the steps necessary to install such scenery and ask the admins to post it as a sticky.

I realize that this could be the start of a new thread, but it seemed to me to fit in here as well.

Thanks for reading!

I always do.

BTW, I never initiated a "this is better than that". I would say I, personally, in my own opinion, prefer X Plane over FSX. An opinion. Something I'm sure everyone can respect.

Have you noticed though, whenever we talk about X Plane, someone comes in and starts going on about how FSX is better.

(See what I mean. Tit for tat...again)

While we disagree on which camp starts what in these threads, I do have to apologize to you, I didn't mean to insinuate that you personally have done so! As I have said in the past I think that you and I also include Morten, are the most helpful people in the X-Plane forum. You are always willing to take time to answer questions people have, and to help through problems people (including me) have running XP, for that I commend you!!!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

BTW, I never initiated a "this is better than that". I would say I, personally, in my own opinion, prefer X Plane over FSX. An opinion. Something I'm sure everyone can respect.

I don't even do that. I prefer to say..........use both sims, if not more of them. You do have a financial interest in X-Plane, as a third party aircraft vendor.

You see...........you'll never see me saying, "I prefer FSX over X-Plane". I won't, because it's a generalized blanket statement. That would have to include every facet about flight. And that includes, all planes, all scenery, all everything.

I just figure I'm more open minded on this subject. I will admit, that before version 8.............that X-Plane stunk, was over rated, and pushed marketing to the extremes with the FAA BS and all of that. But as you know, I do have XP-8, and XP-9, and will follow up on XP-10 with a CPU upgrade, to get the best in it's weather. Once again, this is because I have an open mind. I'm not an armchair simmer, who wants to think that X-Plane will make me be closer to a real pilot. I'm a pilot who likes to see the best in flight sims............and I don't care from where they come. If the plane is excellent, then great!

And of course, I'm sure that you'll respect my opinion........as usual..

L.Adamson

While we disagree on which camp starts what in these threads, I do have to apologize to you, I didn't mean to insinuate that you personally have done so! As I have said in the past I think that you and I also include Morten, are the most helpful people in the X-Plane forum. You are always willing to take time to answer questions people have, and to help through problems people (including me) have running XP, for that I commend you!!!

No worries!

And you're welcome.

I don't even do that. I prefer to say..........use both sims, if not more of them. You do have a financial interest in X-Plane, as a third party aircraft vendor.

You see...........you'll never see me saying, "I prefer FSX over X-Plane". I won't, because it's a generalized blanket statement. That would have to include every facet about flight. And that includes, all planes, all scenery, all everything.

I just figure I'm more open minded on this subject. I will admit, that before version 8.............that X-Plane stunk, was over rated, and pushed marketing to the extremes with the FAA BS and all of that. But as you know, I do have XP-8, and XP-9, and will follow up on XP-10 with a CPU upgrade, to get the best in it's weather. Once again, this is because I have an open mind. I'm not an armchair simmer, who wants to think that X-Plane will make me be closer to a real pilot. I'm a pilot who likes to see the best in flight sims............and I don't care from where they come. If the plane is excellent, then great!

And of course, I'm sure that you'll respect my opinion........as usual..

L.Adamson

Larry

I'm more intelligent than you might think.

All I'll say is, you're word-play is VERY good.

There is nothing wrong with you're opinion at all. But if you're going to sing FSXes praises, don't you think it would make more sense to do it in an FSX oriented forum?

Just a thought.

No worries!

And you're welcome.

Larry

I'm more intelligent than you might think.

All I'll say is, you're word-play is VERY good.

There is nothing wrong with you're opinion at all. But if you're going to sing FSXes praises, don't you think it would make more sense to do it in an FSX oriented forum?

Just a thought.

No..........

No..........

Tells me volumes.

Many thanks!

In most of my posts, if not all, I have compared X-plane to the promises and hype put forth by LR, hardly with FSX, if ever - not that there is anything wrong with that since this branch of AVSIM is devoted to X-plane and the topic title actually names the other sim by name, FSX. So, IMHO, any and all comparisons are fair game.

After over a decade of X-plane sponsorship, with each release of a new version, I am growing tired of waiting for X-plane to fulfil it's "potential" promise or live up to it's hype. Like many people, the "plausible world" disappoints me because it is totally unrealistic and v8 and v9 provided a far more realistic world; so in that sense, v10 is a step backwards.

An actual quote from the website :

"X-Plane 10 Global is the world’s most comprehensive and powerful flight simulator for personal computers, and it offers the most realistic flight model available."

If X-plane actually delivered on the stated promise of a "comprehensive" flight simulator, perhaps we would not be in this position of comparing X-plane to FSX.

In another thread, I was asked about what my agenda was since I have been critical of the program and the publisher's practices. My answer to that is simply to tell the publisher that what was acceptable in the past in terms of practices, incompleteness or the lack of polish in the product will be less acceptable in future. Some of us have been around long enough to criticise LR for it's repeated failures in delivering a complete, polished and comprehensive product. Fortunately, LR seems to be getting the message, albeit, far too slowly, even if many diehards still don't seem to. I know because I was one of those diehards for a number of years!

Hi, all,

This is my first post to this forum, but I have been following it for many months. At the risk of raising the ire of certain X-plane devotees, I'm going to mention that swearword, "FSX." Yes, that's right, I'm a longtime user of FSX, and I really enjoy it, but I, like other posters here, also enjoy other sims. In the past I've tried X-Plane 8 & 9, but soon quit using it because I couldn't stand the native scenery in either, although I have to admit I enjoyed flying around on Mars for awhile. : )

Back in November or December I tried the XPX demo, and I saw quite a bit of potential in the use of dynamic lighting and, at least, the concept of generating a plausible world; it sort of seemed like MS's concept of autogen. In addition, there was the news that FSX third party developers were planning to also develop for X-Plane. So, these things really peaked my interest. I even bought a Carenado addon to try with the demo and was favorably impressed with the flight dynamics.

Consequently I have been experiencing increased hopes for X-Plane to the point that I even bought the first Community Edition by Aerosoft when it was first released. I just wanted to show a little faith and encouragement by investing dollars in it, just as the new third party developers were.

Nevertheless, I'm still not yet using X-Plane, although I would like to. Aside from the three caveats listed toward the top of this thread, which I have no problem with, because I think those issues will eventually be successfully dealt with, the "plausible world" scenery in urban areas simply spoils the immersion factor for me. And I have no doubt that that will be made to be more convincing eventually.

Until that time comes, however, I was recently given new hope when I saw the screen shots that MdMax had been submitting to this and other forums. These were photo scenery sets which also utilized OSM2XP. I have heretofore never liked photo scenery, but these looked so clear and unmuddied. Then, a short time later, that video of Polish scenery came out, and I was stunned. Shortly thereafter a very interesting thread about that video was started on this forum, one of the most interesting I have seen yet. Just when it go going good, it got shut down by the admins due to suspicion of plugging products. That was really too bad!

O.K., so where am i going with this? This kind of scenery is to me a short-term answer to the lack of convincing (hopefully temporary) urban "autogen" scenery. I realize that covering the whole world with scenery as good as that shown in the video would not be practical or even affordable due to the cost of some of the imagery and the hardrive space. Yet one could have, at least, several large scenery areas to fly in, and that would be satisfactory for me, at least for awhile.

The drawback to an FSX user such as me, is the lack of familiarity with configuring XPX scenery. I think it would be really helpful to new users if some generous person with the knowledge and experience were to create a tutorial on the steps necessary to install such scenery and ask the admins to post it as a sticky.

I realize that this could be the start of a new thread, but it seemed to me to fit in here as well.

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for the post, Murf! Speaking from a person's point of view, probably one of the most honest posts in these forums.

X Plane isn't for everyone and no one claimed it was. Just like FSX isn't for everyone.

That's pretty much the reason Austin has made a 15 minute demo of it available so people can try it out.

It's silly to suggest that a post like the OP made cannot include some sort of comparison to FSX. Thats what he needs to make his decision!

Just by my saying i would fly XPX for night has implied XPX is better than FSX in that area. Also by saying I would fly FSX for australia with ORBX is implying that FSX is better than XPX there!

He asked for an objective view , he didnt ask for a one sided view.

I would bet a whole heap of people use both sims and only by doing that can they give 'objective' views that is not one sided. It really is no use saying switch because night flying is the best and then leave out other stuff because it's not a FSX forum.

You can either object to this type of question being asked at all but if you don't object to this question then there cannot be any complaint if features are compared. Thats how you make informed decisions.

Once again, I wouldn't switch, I would use them both.

Hey fellas, it certainly wasn't my intention to start an XP10 Vs FSX war as I'm sure many of you will agree. However, after thinking about the nature of my post, I see how difficult it is not to! The thread certainly has opened my eyes to different possibilies and it's very interesting hearing first hand reports from guys who have made the switch or have both sims. At the end of the day, I see nothing wrong with giving opinions about a particular sim, providing it's done graciously and with good intent. If guys want to offer their opinion of what they think is good or bad about a particular aspect of FSX or XP10 then for goodness sake, that should be fine, that is called debate. In doing so that is how we gain information and advice. Anyway, as I said, a good thread and some interesting points fellas...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Besides being an awesome flightsimulator (which we have debated and documented to death), XP has something special to offer :Love:

When I was a little kid I used to make paper airplanes. A bit older, my main hobby was building Airfix/Revell plastic model aircraft.

In my teens I started building RC models.

I know for a fact that most of you (atleast older generations) in here did the same, and XP is the PERFECT simulator for continuing this hobby.

No sim that I have tried can remotely compare when it comes having the creative tools like PlaneMaker and AirfoilMaker.

These programs at first glance may seem geeky, but in reality, anyone with an interest for aircraft and technical stuff would feel at home there in a couple of days. (Larry, in a few weeks you would have made the most awesome RV6 flightmodel ever)

Same goes for scenery, it is extremely easy to be creative. And if you are not creative, try make a copy of your favorite real aircraft or airport.

You can have 1000's of hours of fantastic creativity and learning about aerodynamics and avionics.

So to me, XP is two products in one!

In addition, I have made friends for life teaming up with others and being creative together.

Best buy I ever did... :yahoo: