Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Really Bumpy Ride

Taking a 5 minute break from the bumpiest ride I have ever had in a PC sim. Going from Anchorage to Fairbanks in the Maule, and I selected "Mixed Weather". I have not been able to hold a steady heading for more than 10 seconds since I took off. In the last 10 minutes, at 13,000 feet, I am getting up and down drafts over the mountains of sometimes as high as 2500 FPM. If I had passengers we would be looking for the Dramamine pills and hopefully finding some barf bags.. Got another 100 miles to go....Oh, and with the clouds, sometimes we are totally IFR for a mile or so. :bad:

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Sounds great! :wink: Think I will do that flight too with the same weather! Sounds like a nice challenge!

EDIT

That's a long flight, for me anyway. I will start from Denali, fly out of the mountains through the valley, using the NENANA VOR as reference, and then straight to Fairbanks.

This Mixed Weather Theme is some crazy stuff. I have been flying the Cub in 30 kt. crosswinds! :Hypnotized: Getting blown every which way. And landing is an exercise in full-power crabs! I finally made it to the apron - whew! - put the parking brakes on just so the gale winds don't blow me away, and everything is still shaking like mad.

Got to love this stuff. Big%20Grin.gif

Best regards.

Luis

The first flight I took was with the Mixed Weather Theme and I couldn't beleive how hard it was to stay on course. I finally crashed when I was a bit to low and close to a hill top and couldn't recover in time. It reminded me of a time 35 or so years ago when I got caught in a thunderstorm while flying a Cessna 150 and thought the plane was going to be torn apart. Lucky for me there were no mountains or hills near by. :LMAO:

Don't even think about taking the Icon anyplace in that kind of weather. Especially if you have turned the HUD off.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Well, finally landed, and I am beat,, As I was flying the ILS into Fairbanks, I reduced power and heard this weird sound that I couldn't make out at first. Then I realized it was the sound of "sleet" hitting the aircraft, and at that point I could see the sleet coming down.

ILSLeftSideFairbanks.jpg

Finally at the Ramp, it really started snowing as I parked the Maule.

RampatFairbankssnowing.jpg

Time to go get a good Belgium beer!!!!!!

Don't even think about taking the Icon anyplace in that kind of weather. Especially if you have turned the HUD off.

If I had the icon today, I probably would only be 1/2 way by now. There were times that I had up to a 43 knot headwind at 12,000 feet.

The first flight I took was with the Mixed Weather Theme and I couldn't beleive how hard it was to stay on course. I finally crashed when I was a bit to low and close to a hill top and couldn't recover in time. It reminded me of a time 35 or so years ago when I got caught in a thunderstorm while flying a Cessna 150 and thought the plane was going to be torn apart. Lucky for me there were no mountains or hills near by. :LMAO:

A 150 and a T storm is not a good mix. We used to get alot of them in the Miami area, and many times I would circle way around one, cause if you even get close, it can be pretty scary,

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Mixed weather Alaska put some 68kts constants winds on the oil platforms area, about 10-15 miles south east fron Anchorage.

Mixed weather is one of the 2 new themes, but now I wouldn't dare use it in Alaska without having checked departure and arrival. And now with the new map for Alaska, it is very rare that I find the arrival airport (or it's luck...). And I still remember not being able to take off because of trees too tall around a too small strip to ascend (I believe it's an autogen bug already talked about), and no gradient in windforce due to trees and obstacles (taht would have been a nice weather effect !). So No use for me in missions, what I would have loved.

Actually sounds exciting! Flight's weather really beat you up in Hawaii some times.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer