Sign in to follow this  
eurowing

how do you properly abort take off?

hi,

i am quite embarrassed to ask this. i thought about creating a fake account for a minute to disguise myself but oh well.

a search here gave no results. and RTM did not help me either.

i always thought this was a no brainer but i just did a practice RTO and realized it doesn't work as i thought it would.

let's say you're on the take off roll with autothrottle i thought you'd apply reverse thrust and then the brakes would automatically kick in (hence RTO on auto brakes). however, moving the throttle levers (Saitek) back and to reverse did nothing. only after i applied toe brakes A/T deactivated, reverse was applied and i slowed down "manually".

do i need to disable the throttle override to make this more realistic or what am i missing here?

any input is appreciated! (and please don't make fun of me :Worried:)

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

I don't push the TO/GA button for auto thrust takeoff. I hit it once with a/t off to arm the fd takeoff mode,and then flip the a/t to arm. If I want to rto, I move the levers to reverse and brakes and spoilers kick in automatically.

The best practice regardless if you use auto-throttle on takeoff, is to disconnect it in any RTO situation... Much simpler, and a natural reflex action is to step on the brakes which gives more braking power than RTO setting.. I don't trust computers in takeoff or landing situations..

Tony Fontaine

I use TOGA all the time, I would click the auto throttle off and bring in the reverse thrust. Auto brakes kick in and you raise the spoilers.

• Close thrust levers
  • Disengage autothrotle
  • Raise speedbrake lever
  • Apply max reverse thrust
  • Make sure braking is happening (RTO autobrake only effective 90kts or above), otherwise max manual braking
  • Stop the aircraft, set the parking brake.
  • Diagnose failure and act appropriately

Henry Lidster

Just a sidenote... Manual braking is NOT advised when above 80 kts. (high energy => RTO kicks in). The reasoning behind this is the following: on less than optimum runway surfaces, Max Manual braking will be more likely to lock the wheels, rendering the airplane (nearly) uncontrollable. The RTO setting will provide much better braking action than you can manually achieve.

Hmm... reading it back, I expressed myself wrongly.

What I meant to say was: the method of braking differs... When you are braking Manually, Antiskid will cut in to prevent the wheels locking (hence, releasing the brakes), this can still render the plane incontrollable, albeit less so than planes before the NGs (which is where I made the error with locking up, thinking about all the 737 series, not just the NG). With RTO, the Antiskid will also kick in, but the brakes will be held to "just before" locking, which means better braking action in total.

Not sure if I explained it in a correct, coherent way, I hope it's understandable.

That's how I understood it, correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't push the TO/GA button for auto thrust takeoff. I hit it once with a/t off to arm the fd takeoff mode,and then flip the a/t to arm. If I want to rto, I move the levers to reverse and brakes and spoilers kick in automatically.

Definitely not standard procedure there...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Definitely not standard procedure there...

Sucks to make a nearly accurate sim of the NG and people don't use it correctly?

Found this on you tube, hop it helps

Credit goes to the maker of this tutorial

Found this on you tube, hop it helps

Credit goes to the maler of this tutorial

I havent watched it, but it looked pretty good

Hi,

There is also a diffenrence in behaviour during RTO according to the speed.

for the brakes:

FCOM2 p. 14.20.4/14.10.4

And for the speed brakes:

FCOM2 p.9.20.17/9.10.0

Bert Van Bulck

Yeah, I know it isn't standard, but I tend to use as little automatization as I possibly can so I don't use to/ga or autoland for that matter. I always disconect the autopilot before capturing the localizer and do it manually. As for the use of reverse thrust, I only practised rto-s in normal circumstances with everything working just as a test. In case of engine fire or failure, I wouldn't use reverse and I would extend the spoilers manually.