Sign in to follow this  
eurowing

how do you properly abort take off?

The best practice regardless if you use auto-throttle on takeoff, is to disconnect it in any RTO situation... Much simpler, and a natural reflex action is to step on the brakes which gives more braking power than RTO setting.. I don't trust computers in takeoff or landing situations..

I may have misunderstood your post but to be clear RTO gives the maximum possible braking. It applies the full 3000 psi of hydraulic pressure. The pilot can not do better than RTO.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

From SOP.. "RTO Autobrakes are equal to Maximum Manual Braking". Ok, maybe not more, but equal..

Tony Fontaine

Can you perform take off abort correctly if you set override AT to "never" in FMC options?

Only if you change sequence of first two actions. First disengage A/T, second close thrust levers.

If you set "In HOLD/ARM mode only", you can abort correctly after 84 knots.

Only if you change sequence of first two actions. First disengage A/T, second close thrust levers.

If you set "In HOLD/ARM mode only", you can abort correctly after 84 knots.

Yea, I use HOLD/ARM mode only and I can perform procedure correctly, but I was curious is it able to do the same in "never" mode. Tnx for answer :smile:

Didn't know this was allowed.

I think only if there is symmetrical thrust available. If it is available with asymmetric thrust, I would imagine that it would only be available in dry, non-crosswindy-gusty-blow-you-off-the-runway conditions.

From SOP.. "RTO Autobrakes are equal to Maximum Manual Braking". Ok, maybe not more, but equal..

To get maximum manual braking, you'll have to stand on the brakes real hard. In doing that, you'll probably have less control on the other control surfaces (steering, both rudder and nose wheel, ailerons for possible upwind situations,...). On top of that, Max Manual Braking describes what the plane can deliver, not what you can deliver. On an NG, it's VERY hard to manually equal those 3000 psi the RTO setting will give you, while maintaining direction.

Not using the RTO setting is like saying "Yeah, there's an autopilot, but I can fly much better myself, I don't use it at all." There are scenarios where computers and electronics outweigh human actions. This is just about always one of them.

I think only if there is symmetrical thrust available. If it is available with asymmetric thrust, I would imagine that it would only be available in dry, non-crosswindy-gusty-blow-you-off-the-runway conditions.

That's why I had my original thought. There are quite a few restrictions concerning reverse thrust during aborted take-off.

To get maximum manual braking, you'll have to stand on the brakes real hard. In doing that, you'll probably have less control on the other control surfaces (steering, both rudder and nose wheel, ailerons for possible upwind situations,...). On top of that, Max Manual Braking describes what the plane can deliver, not what you can deliver. On an NG, it's VERY hard to manually equal those 3000 psi the RTO setting will give you, while maintaining direction.

Not using the RTO setting is like saying "Yeah, there's an autopilot, but I can fly much better myself, I don't use it at all." There are scenarios where computers and electronics outweigh human actions. This is just about always one of them.

Not so according to this site....

http://www.b737.org.uk/landinggear.htm

Bert Van Bulck

You still won't be able to brake consistently with 3000 psi, hence you won't equal the 3000 psi the RTO setting reaches. On top of that, you will have a lot more difficulty controlling the plane when applying max manual braking, opposed to RTO.

Here's a fairly simple but informative video. Some of it is in Spanish, but you can get the gist of what's going on.

And here's another simple but informative one. English this time, and you can see clearly the procedures and how they are to be executed as quickly as possible.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

You still won't be able to brake consistently with 3000 psi, hence you won't equal the 3000 psi the RTO setting reaches. On top of that, you will have a lot more difficulty controlling the plane when applying max manual braking, opposed to RTO.

Sure!!

Boeing will make an aircraft that won't brake consistently when applying manual braking. Even on top of that, that ACFT will become more difficult to control when hitting the brakes.

It's a loose cannon!

My god man, If I read your comment, you might as well try to throw an anchor out of the window to stop the plane and hope you don' t put a couple of terminals on fire!!!

Bert Van Bulck

P.S.: try to READ what the site says: it's MORE then 3000 psi...

Just to be clear the hydraulics only pressurize to 3000 psi therefore you can't get more than 3000 psi.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg