Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Weather - Have You Been Impacted?

Am in Central Virginia. Lost power Friday evening due to winds and lightening storms. Went off at 2100 EST and we did not get it back until 1500 on Saturday. 18 hours. Temps rose to over 105 F. Temp Index exceed 111 F at one point. More T'storms expected tonight.

Neighborhood basically a mess. Houses speared with trees. Trees down all over the roads, cleanup still happening; what a mess. And this is just the start of "summer". Actually, May was the hottest on record, so I can hardly wait to see what August brings... Anybody in the northern climes want a couple of house guests (with cats) for the months of August and September??? :Praying:

Well I would offer, but it's in the mid 30s (Celsius) here in Warsaw, and set to be so for a while. With possible storms coming. And I'm allergic to cats unfortunately.

Stay safe Tom.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Well it has been a nice 80°F. with light 15 knot trades. Been this way for many decades here. :Just Kidding:

Been the wettest past two months for years in the UK, lots of flooding and water damage all over the UK. Back of my house is in desperate need of repair, but it is too wet to tackle it.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Been following it as some of my Family lives in that area but everyone is OK....Not as bad as that blackout back in 2003 but still a big one. Seems like the biggest thunderstorms to roll through in a long time and now lots of heat and no AC (or Flightsim) for a few folks until the mess gets cleaned up.

Keep Safe everyone.....Cheers

Matthew Kane

Tom,

Just saw the news and am shocked. We are bracing here for a T storm, but we don't expect anything like the news reports from Virginia and Washington DC. Look after yourself! We'll look after this place.

Kind regards,

It rained today, it rained yesterday, It's Ireland, It rains everyday.... :Sigh:

This June has been the wettest recorded since records began. We've had flooding in the south over the past few days, though not as bad as our floods in October, they were BAD.... Take a look at this vid for yourself, Dundrum Shopping Center was like the blasted titanic.... In particular in that video, the Dublin Bus service was something else, not a single cancellation that night...

Really looking forward to some good old summer weather....

Rónán O Cadhain.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Guest Ps762

Hi!

Sorry to hear your weather troubles. We can get a lot of rain but we're pretty lucky with wind here in the UK. It rarely damages things and when it does it's big news. When young I worked in the South Pacific and one time there was this big cyclone. My two local friends got through this by drinking an unbelievable amount of alcohol! Then they decided to go for a walk while corrugated iron roofs and palm trees were flying everywhere. I still remember watching Hurricane Katrina on TV. That was bad.

Hope it passes and stays calm,

Pierre

Yesterday - 109 degrees fahrenheit, actual. Today 108 degrees fahrenheit, actual. No rain, no wind, dead calm. No clouds, sky is white haze. Yesterday set an all-time record for Camden, SC. I was driving through town yesterday, 4:00PM @ approx 35 mph in traffic and my vehicle's temp sensor picked up the ambient temp of the roadway with surrounding vehicles, no breeze, slow velocity - 113 degrees!

At least we did not have the violence you did, Tom. Dreadfully sorry y'all had to go through that mess. Charlene and I would be happy to have the entire Allensworth family, including cats for a visit - but I believe y'all would just be jumping from the frying pan into the fire.

Take care, buddy!

John

Take a look at this vid for yourself, Dundrum Shopping Center was like the blasted titanic

Quite the rain event! BTW the two sections ( including the first scene) showing the water coming in the vertical frames from large windows is from the aft Dining Room on the Costa Concordia as she was sinking.

Kind regards,

Spent 2 weeks in California in the beautiful sun in May. Came back to wind, rain and more rain :sad: ... As Rónán O Cadhain said the rain has been awful! We had a massive downpour here in the South of Ireland 'Cork' my drive was like a waterfall, There was severe flooding in some parts of Cork City from just 2 hours of rain.

It's been raining a lot here in Houston lately... but we need it.

Here's a picture of Beltway 8 today near the Houston Intercontinental Airport:

552304_10150944946924342_1574449407_n.jpg

Quite the rain event! BTW the two sections ( including the first scene) showing the water coming in the vertical frames from large windows is from the aft Dining Room on the Costa Concordia as she was sinking.

Kind regards,

Nope, check the date on the vid, it was posted 3 months before the Concordia accident, those doors are in fact belonging to the Dundrum Shopping Center I mentioned. Hence the comment about it being akin to the Titanic... :wink:

Rónán O Cadhain.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Been the wettest past two months for years in the UK, lots of flooding and water damage all over the UK. Back of my house is in desperate need of repair, but it is too wet to tackle it.

Al

I feel your pain. Our old cottage needs exterior work in anticipation of putting it on the market, but dry days are few and far between in Cumbria right now.