Sign in to follow this  
fautleyj

Scenery Problem

Hi Folks, hope you can help. I recently added an airport scenery to my Addon folder, and the readme asked me to add the 2 BMP files ashphalt & Tarmac to FS9's texture folder. Since doing so, many of the airport's and airfield's apron and taxi ways are now showing up a horrible black surface. If I remove the 2 files, then everything just goes white. Is there something I can do to get my aprons and taxiways, back to the regular gray concrete surface they were. I have tried uninstalling the added scenery, bu8t that doesn't change anything. Please see attached image.

Thanks

John

Sounds like you were asked to overwrite two of FS9's default, stock textures with two bogus or damaged ones and did so. I'm always leery of installing any airport scenery which requires stock textures to be overwritten, and if I do decide to take a chance I always back-up the stock textures first. I've found that most downloadable scenery and/or commercial 3rd party scenery works just fine, but there is some real junk available for download too. Sometimes people seem in such a frenzy to put out something with their name on it that they don't seem to care that what they're uploading is useless or even potentially damaging.

Short of a complete reinstall of FS9, the only other thing I can think of you could do would be to search through the .cab files on the FS9 installation discs and try to find and extract the correct textures from there. That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's the best I can tell you. Hope it helps.

Another option would be to download a series of AVSIM files from Chris Arrington called Airport Environment Upgrade. The last two he released were versions 7 and 8 as I recall. They will significantly improve many of the stock airport textures and will (probably) overwrite the textures you are having trouble with and give you better ones than the original stock files.

You could also try a Windows Restore to a point before you overwrote the files

Good luck

Ian

Short of a complete reinstall of FS9, the only other thing I can think of you could do would be to search through the .cab files on the FS9 installation discs and try to find and extract the correct textures from there. That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's the best I can tell you. Hope it helps.

If you know the filenames of the two textures you seem to have overwritten (presumably the same as those you downloaded) - then there's a really useful Excel file here in the library which lists the contents of the original CDs and .cab files. Search that for the two filenames, extract the original textures from the relevant .cab file back into your main texture folder, and all should be well. It's saved me more than once, with both textures and sounds.

Ian's suggestion provides you with the quickest most bother free fix. Those files mentioned would also give you the opportunity to improve the appearance of some of FS9's rather pathetic textures for some airport buildings if you so choose.

Regards,

Mel

Which airport did you download so others may take extra care if they want to have this airport.

Thanks folks for your suggestions, most grateful. I will try that Ian. I'm afraid Christian, I do not know which scenery it was, as I've downloaded a few recently, so sorry, I have no idea.

Regards

John