Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Does your Anti-Virus program really make a difference?

Does any specific anti-virus program really help with FSX and the amount of processor power needed to run it? Simply put, since we know that FSX is processor-hungry, I'd like to know if one AV program is easier on FSX when it's running, or should we always shut down our AV programs before running FSX?

I love Nod32 and it's been great when threats occur. What do you think?

Stan

Nod32 is excellent and very light.I use NIS 2012 which contrary to many people. is a very light product.

In the exclusions settings,I basically exclude the whole FSX folder and other programs that deal with

FSX,for example ASE.This means I have no unecessary interruptions or loss of performance while "gaming".

Another very good, and light solution is "Webroot" which is a cloud based AV product.

Hope this helps!

Does any specific anti-virus program really help with FSX and the amount of processor power needed to run it? Simply put, since we know that FSX is processor-hungry, I'd like to know if one AV program is easier on FSX when it's running, or should we always shut down our AV programs before running FSX?

I love Nod32 and it's been great when threats occur. What do you think?

Stan

I have been a very happy NOD32 user for many years now. Not sure anymore about effects in FSX, but a small footprint AV like this can't hurt.

I use AVG and it allows me to exclude the FSX folder while running. Seems fine.

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

dont forget to disable the windows default as well. My system would go from rock solid 30fps to 5ps mid flight and took me ages to figure out the culprit.

ZORAN

I can vouch for NOD32. It's definitely saved my butt a couple of times.....and definitely add the FSX folder to the exclusion list, though I didn't notice any difference speedwise when I did that.

Don't use one. I have malwarebytes that I'll run periodically. It almost always comes up clean anyway.

In my experience, even when I was doing IT work, always on anti-virus is pretty overrated.

I run MS Security Essentials, behind the windows 7 F/W, but kill it along with every other unneeded process I can find, using Ken Salter's 'Alacrity' when running the sim. The F/W stays up, of course, and that's enough security when tied with a good DSL router.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Don't use one. I have malwarebytes that I'll run periodically. It almost always comes up clean anyway.

In my experience, even when I was doing IT work, always on anti-virus is pretty overrated.

+1. I haven't had any anti-virus software installed for five or six years and not once run into any difficulties I couldn't avoid with common sense. In fact I would consider most anti-virus software to be worse than a virus. You have to be pretty dumb to get infected these days but there seems to be huge paranoia about it, in some nations more than others. Trying to persuade people they don't need it though is like trying to persuade someone to give up smoking!

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

I use MSE and leave it active at all times. It has never been a problem, just make sure you run the updater before launching FS. Otherwise it may start an auto update in mid flight. Which would interfere with frames.

Have used most of the well known AV programs over the years and without exception they have been very intrusive. Something which can not be said of MSE.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

I used AVAST does anyone knows if it has an exclusion list ?

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

I have been using both AVG and Avast but have shifted now to the Microsoft Security Essential which is light on the system and free.... FSX.EXE is excluded from the process.

too much, too soon....

I think AVAST does have a exclusion list. It has served me well for several years now.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

I usually block internet access with the firewall and stop antivirus. Gives me about 3 fps. Doesn't work for real weather and multiplayer of course...

A simple trap that these programs can avoid for you is when a friend's PC is hacked and their mail addresses are stolen. Now you can receive a message from that "friend" and upon opening you will be infected. There is a strong chance that almost anyone could fall into that trap. This seems to be a common way for getting access to larger systems where only one employee may disregard anti-virus protection and now the "keys" to the main computer are available.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA