Sign in to follow this  
boeing247

Business jets

Bleh... I found it to be alright. The model is decent though... but the flight model was very interesting... the throttle was touchy and full power was like F-14 power hehe... maybe it was my controls. The VC was decent but lacking "soul." Reminded me of an FS9 VC, but smooth gauge operation and 3D. Hand flying was difficult especially at approach speeds. I've since deleted it from the HDD.

I found the FDE to be very interesting as well on my X52 pro. Flew more like a fighter than a bizjet

Well, it actually is not surprising that the LearJet 23 flies like a fighter, because it had much of its conceptual roots in what genuinely was a fighter/bomber design, that being the FPA P-16, whose wing design it basically shares.

The Lear 23 has on more than one occasion been described as being like a fighter jet with a luxury cabin, which is hardly surprising given its sleek shape, size and weight, it having a wingspan of only 35 and a half feet, and with an MTOW of only 12,500lbs, figures which are much more like a fighter plane's statistics than those of a business jet. Take for example the F-86 Sabre, which has roughly the same wingspan, but 6,000lb greater MTOW, the twin engines of the Lear producing roughly the same thrust as the single engine on the Sabre. It's easy to understand why, when you look at those figures, the Lear 23 is such a slippery thing, and of course why it actually isn't that great of a design as far as business jets go in practical terms. Stick a couple of guns on it however, and it could probably have given a MiG-15 a run for its money LOL

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

While Alan's post is informative, as always, I would like to clarify a few points for anyone considering purchasing the Lear package, which I recommend.

The Xtreme Prototypes Lear 20 package does not include the 23 model.

It does have the 24, 25, and 28, with respective MTOWs of 13,500, 15,000 and 15,000.

The 28 has a wingspan of 43.8 feet .

Also, none of the models have extended tanks, in fact the 28 has reduced fuel capacity as it trades the wingtip tanks for winglets which make it more aerodynamically efficient, yet still cost it some range.

None of these planes fly for much more than 3 hours without running out of fuel.

I find them a blast to fly and think they are a steal at $12.

regards,

Joe

[edit]

also, as is true with planes from that era, terms like FMC and VNAV have no use in an early Lear cockpit. Even though there is a GPS in the cockpit, the AP has no NAV/GPS switch so you cannot have the plane fly the magenta line automatically.

[/edit]

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

After reading this thread, I went ahead and purchased this for the deal and after a simple test flight, I'm glad I did. Very easy on the frame rates and fun to fly. While the exterior and interior is nothing special, they are both solidly done and I have no issues with getting immersed in it.

I probably need to read the manual to figure out why my flaps didn't work, though. It may have had something to do with all the flashing red warning lights after Ctrl-Eing for a quick startup.

While Alan's post is informative, as always, I would like to clarify a few points for anyone considering purchasing the Lear package, which I recommend.

The Xtreme Prototypes Lear 20 package does not include the 23 model.

It does have the 24, 25, and 28, with respective MTOWs of 13,500, 15,000 and 15,000.

The 28 has a wingspan of 43.8 feet .

Also, none of the models have extended tanks, in fact the 28 has reduced fuel capacity as it trades the wingtip tanks for winglets which make it more aerodynamically efficient, yet still cost it some range.

Whilst it is true Joe, that the Xtreme Prototypes set does only have the 24, 25 and 28, the LearJet 24 is essentially a LearJet 23 with the addition of wingtip tanks and slightly raised MTOW certification. There are a few other minor differences such as uprated engines, but that's about the size of it, so the 24 is effectively an extended range version of the 23. The 25 is basically a stretched 24, and the 28 is a 25 with a new wing.

Al

Alan Bradbury

I probably need to read the manual to figure out why my flaps didn't work, though. It may have had something to do with all the flashing red warning lights after Ctrl-Eing for a quick startup.

Check them from the exterior. The flaps switch itself is a little weird. And does anybody who has it know how to trim it? There are all these mentions of trimming in the manual, but nothing on how to actually trim the aircraft.

So I think I'll probably go with the Citation X if not having a registered copy of FSUIPC won't be a big problem, but otherwise, are there any other good business jets?

Whilst it is true Joe, that the Xtreme Prototypes set does only have the 24, 25 and 28, the LearJet 24 is essentially a LearJet 23 with the addition of wingtip tanks and slightly raised MTOW certification. There are a few other minor differences such as uprated engines, but that's about the size of it, so the 24 is effectively an extended range version of the 23. The 25 is basically a stretched 24, and the 28 is a 25 with a new wing.

Al

Al,

The 23 has wingtip tanks too, and due to the weight increase the range of the 24 is less than the 23, not more.

There are quite a few differences between the 23 and the 24 including a new windshield, system redundancies, changes in the fuel an pressurization systems, oh and the 23 and 24 are certificated to different standards as well.

Either way, I was simply trying to be clear about what the Xtreme Prototypes Lear 20 package is and isn't.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

One thing they have in common is being a handfull to fly, as the fuel weight decreases this plane gets faster and requires corrections to maintain ASI , landing as mentioned takes a bit of care , an eye on pitch and speed and a longish runway as the builders ( Guilty as Charged ) didnt install Thrust Reversers on it the cheapscates, anyway i have stalled this into the fence more times than i care to admit, at least it dont blow up like the Bell-X1 but its damn near as fast.

So I think I'll probably go with the Citation X if not having a registered copy of FSUIPC won't be a big problem...

Manual detent setting is really not a big deal for sim enthusiast and most cannot tell the subtle differences in FS9 or FSX... :Nerd:

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Either way, I was simply trying to be clear about what the Xtreme Prototypes Lear 20 package is and isn't.

regards,

Joe

Yeah, I know. And you are right to point out that the 23 isn't in there, just in case people thought it might be. Still, whatever is and is not in there, the XP 20 Series Lear package is a good one, especially for 12 bucks, that's the main thing.

Al

Alan Bradbury

So I think I'll probably go with the Citation X if not having a registered copy of FSUIPC won't be a big problem...

Hi Bram,

I really like the Eaglesoft Citation X V2, it has everything I'm looking for in an FSX business jet.

Lots of interesting new things to learn too, as far as systems, procedures, FMS, etc.

Have fun,

Chris

Chris Bremmer

Another +1 for the CX v2, I have the Mustang as well but I find it far to hard on the frame rate.

Now if I can put the BBJ (well 737-700 with a BBJ paint job) down for a bit, I may well see if I can remember how to fly the CX !!

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron