Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

Carbon Cub...How is it?

For those that have Alaska, how do you like the Carbon Cub? Can it take off in super short distances like in some of the videos posted on here prior to announcement of the Cub? How does it handle? I know it doesn't have a cockpit, and that upsets me, but if a deluxe version was offered someday, I'd like to know how well it flies too before getting it.

Brandon Filer

The carbon cub is an excellent performer. If you don't mind flying with only the hud for airspeed, compass, and altitude, the cockpit view with the eyepoint moved back is acceptable IMO. I haven't flown it with the mouse or in chase view. Its a little slower than the Maule but outperforms it hands down.

For those that have Alaska, how do you like the Carbon Cub? Yes, it`s awesome, just the lack having no cockpit.

Can it take off in super short distances like in some of the videos posted on here prior to announcement of the Cub? Yes, you can also do water assisted sand bar landings ;)

How does it handle? Very well, you can feel the high lift airfoil, it`s an agile STOL. Exact what i have expexted.

I know it doesn't have a cockpit, and that upsets me, but if a deluxe version was offered someday, I'd like to know how well it flies too before getting it. Agree. I move the eyepoint into the "external view cockpit" not an replacement, but works better then on the warbirds.

For those that have Alaska, how do you like the Carbon Cub? Yes, it`s awesome, just the lack having no cockpit.

Can it take off in super short distances like in some of the videos posted on here prior to announcement of the Cub? Yes, you can also do water assisted sand bar landings ;)

How does it handle? Very well, you can feel the high lift airfoil, it`s an agile STOL. Exact what i have expexted.

I know it doesn't have a cockpit, and that upsets me, but if a deluxe version was offered someday, I'd like to know how well it flies too before getting it. Agree. I move the eyepoint into the "external view cockpit" not an replacement, but works better then on the warbirds.

Perfect description! +++1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I agree completely! The Piper Cub was my favorite airplane in FS 9 and 10, and it has quickly become my favorite in Flight (although I do love and won't give up the RV, Icon, Stearman...) There's not much reason to check the panel in a Cub anyway and the HUD is acceptable for what is needed.

It would have been nicer to have a working panel, but there's no sense in endlessly griping about a video game, that's just trivial.

One thing, though, you will have to do mostly power-on landings (that last image is a mistake!) especially in rough weather like the Mixed Weather Theme. And expect to get tossed about a lot! :LMAO: Thank goodness it's not for real. Just%20Kidding.gif

Best regards.

Luis

Great images Luis! And yes, together with the Maule and the RV6, the Cub is now the airplane I fly the most, as a mater of fact, the only I've been flying for casual sightseeing around Alaska :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

When I move the viewpoint back, at one point I can see a panel with all the instruments on it. What's up with that?

CubPanel.jpg

And up a little and I get a Pilot.

CubPilot.jpg

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

That's the "external" visual model, Bob. It's part of the airplane model which is distinct from the Virtual Cockpit. The artist modeled the entire airplane inside and out, including the engine, plenum, and exhaust :Hypnotized: . Even though you can't normally see these parts from the outside in Spot View, by moving your viewpoint, the way you did, you can see the detail "inside" the external model.

The inside of the Cub (and all the airplanes without cockpit) is just a bitmap, an image of a panel. But, there are no working instrument gauges there.

Fortunately, the artist used a much higher resolution image for the Cub interior than was used on the combat airplanes, so it looks a lot better when flying from the "inside".

Best regards.

Luis

When I move the viewpoint back, at one point I can see a panel with all the instruments on it. What's up with that?

That's a simple flat screenshot pasted into the 3D model of the Cub. Even when you see an airplane from the outise you usually can see the cockpit and everything that's in it. The panel has no working instruments at all. All none-VC planes have a similar panel.

EDIT

What Luis said... :wink:

Thanks for the explanation, I figured that it was just the instrument panel and they were "hiding it" from us for awhile. Well anyway, going to try flying the cub for the first time this morning now that it has some sort of insides to it...

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

With a little adjustment and a save flight, one doesn't have to keep moving the eyepoint back

Well I had a heck of a time getting this Cub flight together and finally gave up. It may be because I have Track IR or Gmap running at he same time, but when I would switch views after getting everything set as far as eyepoint , I would lose the view I had with the eyepoint back, and be back to the nothing but scenery view. I also tried saving he configuration by saving the flight, but that didn't work either. At one point I even got stuck in mouse control mode despite hitting spacebar and had to reboot the computer. Reminded me of the old days of FS.

So I finally dragged out the Icon and took a short flight out of Ketchikan, found a small lake that looked barely big enough and landed there. Then I flew back to Ketchikan and landed at the water runway next to the cruise ship.

Is the lake big enough to land?????

Isthatlakebigenough.jpg

Plenty of room

Guessso.jpg

Well I had a heck of a time getting this together and finally gave up. It may be because I have Track IR or Gmap running at he same time, but when I would switch views after getting everything set, I would lose the view I had with the eyepoint back, and be back to the nothing but scenery view.

The second link J posted covers how to permanently reposition the Screenshot camera inside the fake cockpit. So, rather than hitting your Cockpit View button, just select Screenshot View and you are in the fake cockpit.

For those that have Alaska, how do you like the Carbon Cub? Can it take off in super short distances like in some of the videos posted on here prior to announcement of the Cub? How does it handle? I know it doesn't have a cockpit, and that upsets me, but if a deluxe version was offered someday, I'd like to know how well it flies too before getting it.

Compared to the stearman for example the Flight model of the Carbon Cub feels simpler and more like a "Basic" plane. My guess is if a deluxe version of the Carbon Cub comes out it will come with a better FM too.

I am comparing it with the stearman because I simply love flying it and I think(my opinion) the stearman is the best modelled aircraft in Flight.