Sign in to follow this  
HughesMDflyer4

Carbon Cub...How is it?

Well I found out where the problem is. The reposition of viewpoint and Track IR don't seem to get along. I can save the flight, reload the flight and the view is there. I turn on Track Ir, reload the flight and the view is gone. Then I reload the flight with Track IR off, its fine, then turn track IR on, and track IR won't work anymore. . So I can fly it without Track IR running apparently, and that's it

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Ah, ok. I wrote about the InitialXyz parameter before TIR support came along and have not reexamined it since. I will look into it next week when I get home. There may be a solution.

Ah, ok. I wrote about the InitialXyz parameter before TIR support came along and have not reexamined it since. I will look into it next week when I get home. There may be a solution.

I don't think Bobsk8 was referring to changes in the cfg's as explained in the tutorial but to changes using the ingame keys. The cfg tweaks to set the initial position still work. It's the moving of the position in Flight itself that doesn't work as we were used to when TrackIR is enabled.

All controls to change the position while flying don't work anymore unless you pause TrackIR. And when you do pause TIR, change the position using the ingame keys and then unpause TIR, the position is set to default again! So if you want to use the screenshotview to put you into the pilotseat of the Cub, you will have to use the cfg to do so because repositioning yourself in the game, with TIR paused and using the various keys, will only work as long as TIR is paused... Unpause it and you are back to the view as defined in the cfg.

I don't think Bobsk8 was referring to changes in the cfg's as explained in the tutorial but to changes using the ingame keys. The cfg tweaks to set the initial position still work. It's the moving of the position in Flight itself that doesn't work as we were used to when TrackIR is enabled.

All controls to change the position while flying don't work anymore unless you pause TrackIR. And when you do pause TIR, change the position using the ingame keys and then unpause TIR, the position is set to default again! So if you want to use the screenshotview to put you into the pilotseat of the Cub, you will have to use the cfg to do so because repositioning yourself in the game, with TIR paused and using the various keys, will only work as long as TIR is paused... Unpause it and you are back to the view as defined in the cfg.

Will changing this config file affect all the aircraft in Flight, because to me that wouldn't be worth it..?

That is true, I am just talking about the in-game adjustments.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I was having a lot of fun doing improper things with it this morning. I clear skies, winter, and an airport up around Anchorage. I would then land on a mountain top and taxi to the edge and with flaps down I would start down the slope. With the engine off I would then wait until I build up enough speed to get airborne and try to glide over to a lower hill and start over. I also found that you can maintain altitude with full flaps at about 44% power giving you a airspeed of about 44kts. Great fun but like others I wish it had a cockpit.

Will changing this config file affect all the aircraft in Flight, because to me that wouldn't be worth it..?

Yes, it will but... the idea is that you first enable the screenshotview (which is a view that's disabled by default) and then change ONLY the settings of THAT view to put you into the pilotposition of the Cub! Now of course this will also change the default position of the screenshotview in other planes, but since the idea is to use this screenshotview ONLY for the pilotview in the cub, it won't really hurt other aircraft... if you know what I mean... :wink:

That is true, I am just talking about the in-game adjustments.

If you alter the Cockpit View, then yes. So, don't do that.

There is a Screenshot View that works like the cockpit view, but is disabled by default. The Views Tutorial explains how to enable it and park that view inside the fake cockpit.

So, with the Cub, you would fly from the Screenshot View instead of the Cockpit View, which would remain untouched for flying the other planes.

With a little adjustment and a save flight, one doesn't have to keep moving the eyepoint back

I know I'm late but how do you get this view? Since this Cub is free I might as well make the most of it but I can't seem to get the view to track back to the inside of the cockpit. The how-to to doing this should be pinned in this forum....

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Well I left Track IR off this afternoon, and took off from Anchorage Aprt to Whittier flying down Turnagain Arm. On the way, I stopped at Girdwood airport for a break. Took off again, and continued to Whittier, flew past the Glacier at Portage on the right side, and though a pass, and down over Whittier, making a circling approach. The first attempt at landing on the upsloping runway, I misjudged the sink rate of the Cub, and as I touched down, I could see I was going to hit the woods at teh end of the runway before I got stopped, so I pushed the throttle forward and took off and the Cub just made it over the tops of the trees ( whew), Thank goodness for the STOL capability of the Cub. Second approach was much slower, and landing was great.

Shrtrunwayslopinguptreesatend.jpg

WhittierAirport.jpg

I must admit, this Cub is a great flying aircraft. I hope they will have floats as an option.

here is a video of a real Carbon Cub with floats, on takeoff.

I had been flying with the HUD disabled and using only instruments.........

But in the challenges that require the cub you need some sort of instruments, so the HUD is back on......... (bleah)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I know I'm late but how do you get this view? Since this Cub is free I might as well make the most of it but I can't seem to get the view to track back to the inside of the cockpit. The how-to to doing this should be pinned in this forum....

Nevermind, one has to setup the Cub views with TrackIR off then save the free flight. This sure would be a fun little plane with a VC included. Hopefully deluxe versions of these basic aircraft are in future plans...

With a little adjustment and a save flight, one doesn't have to keep moving the eyepoint back

This doesn't work with TrackIR, unfortunately...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

It is a great flying aircraft now . Needs to have an option to attach Tundra tires, skis and floats, That would be the greatest flying Alaska aircraft in the sim world ....

This doesn't work with TrackIR, unfortunately...

RoboRay spoke of a workaround that works for Track IR ... its on the first page of this thread.

RoboRay spoke of a workaround that works for Track IR ... its on the first page of this thread.

The information is in this...

http://forum.avsim.net/tutorials/article/62-adjusting-your-default-view/

You want to enable the Screenshot View and use it as a cockpit view just for the Cub. I'm out of town, or I would find the actual InitialXyz values needed in the config file for you.

Maybe somebody else can post them.

I did a couple of longer flights in the Carbon Cub. It's a fun plane to fly.

It has so much power for its weight that it really does leap right off the runway, and it encourages you to do things like land on top of buildings. There are some incredible videos on youtube with carbon cub takeoffs and landings. You can do the same thing in Flight.

The Cub rolls to the left unless you disable prop effects in the options. I haven't found the trim to be much use as it's not nearly fine enough. Perhaps someone knows how to make the trim less effective, which worked well in FSX for the same problems.

With prop effects turned off, the plane flies about like you'd expect, except that it's not stable in the roll axis. You can get it balanced correctly and it may fly that way for a minute, but as soon as it starts rolling in either direction, the roll accelerates. It takes a constant hand on the joystick. I found that using the mouse to control the Cub made it somewhat more stable, but it wasn't a complete test.

You'd be amazed what you can load into that plane without being overweight. For example, I had a cargo mission with 537 pounds. When you add the pilot, it's 697 pounds. I was still able to load 80% fuel (36 gallons out of 44, approximately) and still stay within weight limits. It's nice to know I can carry an engine block for my classic muscle car in the back seat if I want.

My next flight was with 4 passengers... I still had enough weight limit for 12 gallons of fuel, enough for 186 miles. I put in a bunch of fuel, just to see how it handled when it was way overweight. It wasn't a problem, just had a longer takeoff run. No problems landing. Happy passengers, too. Now... how do you get 4 people into that back seat? They're gonna have to like each other a lot, and not worry about personal space being violated. Reminds me of the time we stuffed 7 people into a friend's Mustang.

On the first flight I flew from behind the plane and the "cockpit" view in front. It's not as bad as you'd think, and you can get used to it on a long flight. On the second flight I moved the eyepoint back behind the pilot's eyes and it looked great. With the zoom set to 1.00 (zoom in until there's a major jump forward, then go back one) the view was very good. The cockpit did not obscure the view as much as you'd think judging by most tail draggers. If we ever get a real cockpit, this is going to be one great plane.

Oh yes... although it will take off and land from anywhere you can drop the tires, the plane is slow. Not unlike a helicopter. If you firewall the throttle, you can get 100 knots at low altitude. With the throttle around 70%, you get about 80 knots. Pull the mixture back and you'll get about 70 miles for each 10% of fuel (4.4 gallons). With a little less throttle you can get a bit more range. The fuel dialog shows the range for a low throttle and lean mixture, so keep that in mind when you're planning a flight.

Overall, a pretty good airplane. I still need to try the water assisted landings on sand bars. That looks cool. :)

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;