Sign in to follow this  
conura

I'm about go ahead...One last bit of confirmation please!

Hi,

I've asked a fair few questions recently and I think it's time I upgraded.

Please could you guys confirm the upgrade I'm doing is worth while...

core i5 760 @ 3.4ghz to core i5 2500k with an aim to OCing to 4.4ghz or so. (new motherboard too, of course)

Please note that my ram (Mushkin 1600mhzm, only 4gb, gtx 560 ti and 7200 RPM Seagate drive) will all be staying the same! Literally all I will change is the mobo and cpu - right now I can't afford to upgrade anything else.

Am I right in thinking this CPU upgrade will be a big boost to my FPS? Despite a relatively slow HDD, a relatively small amount of ram (system is setup only for FSX, so far 4gb has seemed to be fine).

I will go ahead and purchase come pay day if you guys can confirm.

Many thanks.

Depending on what addons you run, yes it will be a worthwhile upgrade...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks for your reply Ryan,

I run UTX, GEX, REX Essential, Acceleration and the NGX at a very smooth 26-30FPS with default airports and zero traffic (I don't like the FSX traffic anyway, it's kinda unrealistic so I'm aiming to get into Vatsim or IVAO) but would also like to add some extra airports. Is it possibly with this upgrade to maintain 25+fps at large airports?

My ideal situation is to be able to land at UK2000 Heathrow with some Vatsim traffic in a thunderstorm at 25fps. I like to benchmark my PC on worst case scenarios..!

Thanks

Hehe I know where you're coming from.

At 4.4GHz on mine with NGX landing Orbx KSEA with bad weather I usually get around 15-18 fps. That's LOD 6.5 with basically max autogen and water 2x high. I don't think I've ever received 25 fps at payware airports with NGX. Maybe if I scaled back my AG a little and weather... I run FEX normal 1024 clouds.

Not to put doubt in your head but what do you run right now with UK2000 + NGX + bad wx?

Nobody can guarantee you'll get 4.xx GHz OC but the majority of SB CPU's have been able to get around 4.5 - 4.8 with ease. Mine is feisty so I had to stop @ 4.4GHz.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I went from an i7 860 (that's basically the same chip as yours but with HyperThreading) at 3.8GHz to a 3570K overclocked to 4.7GHz, and what a difference it made. I fly the NGX around Orbx sceneries and it's smooth now. At YMML in the NGX I would get about 10-12 FPS in the VC, now I get near 20. Your expectations for 25+ might be a little high, but it will definitely be a massive difference to your current system.

Cheers,

Mike

I went from an i7 860 (that's basically the same chip as yours but with HyperThreading) at 3.8GHz to a 3570K overclocked to 4.7GHz, and what a difference it made. I fly the NGX around Orbx sceneries and it's smooth now. At YMML in the NGX I would get about 10-12 FPS in the VC, now I get near 20. Your expectations for 25+ might be a little high, but it will definitely be a massive difference to your current system.

I feel better now fwiw hehe... that seems about right to me.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |