Sign in to follow this  

Mixed weather, the Maule and the RV-6A

I've been flying the RV a lot lately so for a change I decided to use the Maule once again (free flight so no load, 50% fuel). I selected Mixed weather and when I tried to take off I was blown off the runway, full rudder, full opposite aileron... I had no chance. Then I restarted the flight with the RV and took of without any problems (but quite some rudder).

Is the RV so much heavier then the Maule...? Or is the Maule more sensitive to wind? Anyone else noticed that the Maule is harder to take off with a (heavy) crosswind then the RV?

How totally weird.

I was about to post the exact same thing but I thought my joystick was broken!

I don't use the Hud, so I never know exactly how windy it is (the trees seem to sway most of the time) The last two take-offs I have done (both 4 pax) I have literally steered off the rwy by the time I get to 40mph..Nothing will correct it.

Didn't think to try a different a/c

is this real?!

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

You may find that the wind was exceeding the crosswind capability of the aircraft which if probably around 15 knots at most. When you run out of rudder to keep it straight, you are probably exceeding the X-wind capability of the aircraft.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

The mixed weather theme has excessive wind (68 knots) in some places. This blows every aircraft off the runway.

What I noticed once is that the aircraft seems to turn away from the wind. Normally I would expect it to turn into with wind.

And the Maule is a taildrager. A front wheel can keep you on the runway as long as you do not lift it.

Yeah, that makes sense..I reckon most of my flights have had >25kts..

Another hazard for pilots in AK..come to think of it, I remember a whole episode of FWA about wind (most of them talked about it bigtime)

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

And the Maule is a taildrager. A front wheel can keep you on the runway as long as you do not lift it.

Ah, that could well be it then. And yes, the crosswind probably was way too much. But I don't only want to fly in nice weather so... what else can I do. :wink:

Interesting read on flying a Maule. http://www.mtaonline.net/~bcvcap/maule_flight_training_guide.htm

Ah, that could well be it then. And yes, the crosswind probably was way too much. But I don't only want to fly in nice weather so... what else can I do. :wink:

Wait until the wind dies down, or make sure your insurance is paid up.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Since the title update, a number of people have mentioned the Maule wanting to turn off hard to one side. I had dismissed it as wind, p-factor, etc, then had it happen to me right after changing from the RV-6 to the M7.

After exiting and restarting, it went away. It may be a new intermittent bug, having to do with switching planes.

You have toe-brakes, I think, right? You could try braking very lightly on one side to slow that wheel a bit. I've done that before to help keep a straight takeoff roll.

You may find that the wind was exceeding the crosswind capability of the aircraft which if probably around 15 knots at most. When you run out of rudder to keep it straight, you are probably exceeding the X-wind capability of the aircraft.

Flight's Maule has a panel placard limiting you to a 14mph crosswind component, I believe.

Since the title update, a number of people have mentioned the Maule wanting to turn off hard to one side. I had dismissed it as wind, p-factor, etc, then had it happen to me right after changing from the RV-6 to the M7.

After exiting and restarting, it went away. It may be a new intermittent bug, having to do with switching planes.

You have toe-brakes, I think, right? You could try braking slightly on one side to slow that wheel a bit. I've done that before to help keep a straight takeoff roll.

Flight's Maule has a panel placard limiting you to a 14mph crosswind component, I believe.

Interesting about the bug: could be it, because it happened after switching planes.

Toe-brakes, yes, I have them but I still have to get used to the idea that I have them. :wink:

Interesting about the bug: could be it, because it happened after switching planes.

Toe-brakes, yes, I have them but I still have to get used to the idea that I have them. :wink:

Practice taxiing around an airport using nothing but throttle and brakes. NO rudder inputs! That will help a lot. ;)

I had a problem when I first got the Maule of it wanting to pull to the left that no amount of rudder trim could counteract. I rebooted the computer after restarting Flight a few times didn't fix it, and the reboot solved the problem. I fly the Maule with zero rudder trim. Hasn't happened again, so just a glitch, I guess.