Sign in to follow this  
Ss944

Fsx on my iMac

Hi all

I'm a relatively new fsx user, I've been playing fsx for a few months on my old windows machine and am thinking of installing windows on my iMac (27" iMac i5 ) using bootcamp. I've read through the forums and understand this can be done. I was wondering if anyone can clarify the following for me

The size of the windows partition, I've already bought utx,gex and Rex.i plan on getting a couple of orbx airports and scenery in the coming months. I have bought myself a few planes as well in the past couple of months that I have been playing.

Windows 7 or windows xp ? I have seen a couple of reads suggesting xp is better for xp.

Are there any other gotchas when installing fsx on the Mac?

Appreciate the help.

Thanks

The size of the windows partition,

Well, since you have a bunch of addons, I would suggest at least 100 Gb for Windows. If you are going to use Windows for things other than FSX as well, I would create a partition between 200 and 500 Gb, depending on what you are going to use it for, and how much you are going to use it.

Windows 7 or windows xp ?

I have found that Windows 7 works better, but there are some quirks like Aero glass being disabled (there are fixes).

Absolutely imperative... make sure Windows 7 is 64 bit and not 32 bit, that way you will take advantage of the extra memory that is delivered through the 64bit program.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hi

I have a few sims om my iMac (i7): FSX (with quite a bit of addons), Flight, Trainsim 2012 and Cities XL. They take up about 300 Gb of a 500 Gb partition. I run Windows 7 Home Premiuim (64-bit) - which I would recommend. This might give you an idea. Performance is very satisfying with all sims, except Trainsim which is rather average.

If you apply the DX10 patch, FSX does very well in DX10 preview mode on the iMac.

Paul

Thanks everyone. At this point I think the windows boot will be for fsx only. I will go with windows 7 64 bit with around 150 gb partition. This will give me a ceiling for my wallet too to get add one ;)

FSX runs like crap on my iMac but it is a 2008 vintage 24" with a measly 256 MB ATI Radeon and a 2.8GHZ Core2Duo so hardly cut out for gaming. FS9 runs pretty well though and the screen is amazing, even if it runs a bit hot after a while!

For the partition, I say take at least 300GB. Depending on the add ons, you will very quickly "grow out" of those 150GB. OrbX airports, for example, some photo scenery, quickly fill up your partition. I made one of 500GB and it was full after a year or so, although I have some other "normal" games on it too. I'd say better safe than sorry. Once you have a partition that's too small you'll curse yourself...

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

For the partition, I say take at least 300GB. Depending on the add ons, you will very quickly "grow out" of those 150GB. OrbX airports, for example, some photo scenery, quickly fill up your partition. I made one of 500GB and it was full after a year or so, although I have some other "normal" games on it too. I'd say better safe than sorry. Once you have a partition that's too small you'll curse yourself...

I agree Ben, I have 2 SSD's, a 64Gb drive with Win 7 and a 256 SSD for FSX, however I have used up just over 200Gb so far!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Also, the drivers for your video card...look for the ATIMobility Drivers if you have an ATI card, which you most likely do. The standard drivers will not install as the Imac uses a different type card that the towers use. Hope this helps you as well.

Best, Jeff

I want to thank everyone for their advice. i have now been running fsx for a few days and am very happy that i chose to install bootcamp on my mac.. everything went very smooth and my install overall was quite easy. thanks again.