Sign in to follow this  
raymar

Does anyone know where in Alaska this splash screen can be viewed?

I must be in the wrong season and in the wrong places as I can't find anything close to this view.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

No idea at all but a Google search for tallest mountain range brings up Mt McKinley, and taking off from near there shows several promising locations. That may be a start.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

It looks remotely like Kate's Needle... coming down the Stikine River toward Wrangell and Petersburg... I have done this route in the RW many times and flown all over Alaska in FS9 and FSX... Looks similar but the mountain range in the foreground is a little low...

Just a thought at first glance.

Jeff

Well Mt Mckinley turns to be a fascinating place in its own right. Very weird terrain features in some places and pretty spectacular overall. A big ol' glacier is my reward, so far. Glad I stumbled across the area.

The next possible candidate was a colossal mountain range near Cantwell (Pakt) That river in the distance might be a source for taking pictures.

20127121522393.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I was wondering the same thing as well as the initial smaller splash screen that comes up as soon as you launch Flight. Avsim or Microsoft should put together a contest with prizes to the first person that finds the location. :Party:

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I was wondering the same thing as well as the initial smaller splash screen that comes up as soon as you launch Flight. Avsim or Microsoft should put together a contest with prizes to the first person that finds the location. :Party:

How about the winner gets the red tail mustang in Devon's screenshot above?

Ray

It looks remotely like Kate's Needle... coming down the Stikine River toward Wrangell and Petersburg... I have done this route in the RW many times and flown all over Alaska in FS9 and FSX... Looks similar but the mountain range in the foreground is a little low...

Just a thought at first glance.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I'll check that out. I was thinking Kate's Needle was in Canada but I discovered girls and geography about the same time and girls won so my geography is on the weak side.

Ray

Anyone have a guess as to the month we should be using for this view? I'm maxed out on all siders and I haven't found anything close to these colors. It is probably highly enchanced.

Ray

How about you, Holger. Got any idea where this gem is located?

Ray

Hi Ray,

not 100% sure but the way the peak sticks out looks a lot like Mount Hesperus to me, the tallest mountain in the Revelation Range http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Hesperus_%28Alaska%29 or http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_tUBHdjmvoj0/TJ5OpjaZXqI/AAAAAAAAAu4/HN4CaGLSexY/s1600/DSC_2663.JPG

Go to about N61.9107° W154.388° and face southeast (heading 127); the view is across the North Fork Big River. Or fly about 40 miles SSW from PAFW (Farewell).

Cheers, Holger

Hi Ray,

not 100% sure but the way the peak sticks out looks a lot like Mount Hesperus to me, the tallest mountain in the Revelation Range http://en.wikipedia....sperus_(Alaska) or http://4.bp.blogspot...00/DSC_2663.JPG

Go to about N61.9107° W154.388° and face southeast (heading 127); the view is across the North Fork Big River. Or fly about 40 miles SSW from PAFW (Farewell).

Cheers, Holger

Mucho Thanks. I saw your name at the bottom of the screen and instantly thought - I bet he knows the answer. Thanks. I'll go check it out. Nice splash shot.

Ray

I reversed this shot to make it look a bit more like the splash screen..If it was squeezed a bit vertically as well.....There are some line drawings of Mt Heseprus that look much more like the MS one..I'm off to find it..

hesperus.jpg

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

I reversed this shot to make it look a bit more like the splash screen..If it was squeezed a bit vertically as well.....There are some line drawings of Mt Heseprus that look much more like the MS one..I'm off to find it..

hesperus.jpg

Excellent. Good hunting.

Ray

Mount Hesperus it is !!

Thanks for the tips guys !

Fred.

You guys always amaze me how with even the smallest of clues, you could find stuff like this.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

You guys always amaze me how with even the smallest of clues, you could find stuff like this.

An exact Lat / Long and Name and radial is a lot more than a small clue, don't you think? Holger was the mapping consultant for Lewis and Clark then moved to Alaska. He has been there for 300 years that is why I asked him.

Ray

Mount Hesperus it is !!

Thanks for the tips guys !

Fred.

Now why don't our screenshots look like Microsoft's? duh? Thanks Fred.

Ray