Sign in to follow this  
raymar

Does anyone know where in Alaska this splash screen can be viewed?

Now what about the splash screen that comes up when you first launch Flight. I'd love to see where that is... :smile:

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Now why don't our screenshots look like Microsoft's? duh? Thanks Fred.

Ray

Maybe its because its just a load screen and not marketing?

Just to prove my point...

splash1.jpg

X-Plane 10's load screen has a photo of a 737, yet does not even have a 737 in the base product.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Now now, it's not fair to criticise others for doing the same kind of 'nonsense' MS is trying to pull.

Now now, it's not fair to criticise others for doing the same kind of 'nonsense' MS is trying to pull.

Better watch it, someone might think you are serious. Ha.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Now why don't our screenshots look like Microsoft's?

Seasonal variation?

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Now why don't our screenshots look like Microsoft's? duh? Thanks Fred.

Ray

If Microsoft opens the code up to third party developers I'm sure Holger or Orbix would have Flight looking just like the screen shot... One can only hope. :Sigh:

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

At least the subject in the Flight load screen EXISTS's, unlike the XP10 737. It may not look like the screenshot due to seasons, and gfx settings, but its still there.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

The splash screen is an edited sceenshot, I suppose. The Hawaii splash screen CLEARLY was edited: it looked more like an artist impression of a screenshot then an actual screenshot. The Alaskan splash screen might be an actual screenshot: with the right time of day (very important) and the right season, we might be able to create a screenshot that comes pretty close. Fred's shot was clearly taken at the wrong time. :wink:

(BTW I personally try to avoid flying at the middle of the day because Flight doesn't look at its best then... That doesn't mean I always fly during dawn or dusk, but I do prefer a time of day that the sun isn't up high yet.)

That low-angle light is the reason landscape photographers prefer dawn and dusk... flyers should go up at the same time for the most beautiful scenery.

The splash screen is an edited sceenshot, I suppose. The Hawaii splash screen CLEARLY was edited: it looked more like an artist impression of a screenshot then an actual screenshot. The Alaskan splash screen might be an actual screenshot: with the right time of day (very important) and the right season, we might be able to create a screenshot that comes pretty close. Fred's shot was clearly taken at the wrong time. :wink:

Just for fun I went back there and that splash screen is definitely an artist impression. I tried various seasons and times of day but 1. the mountain is more wide in the game, 2. it's impossible to see that amount of snow on the mountain without having snow everywhere and 3. no weather theme comes close to that blue sky. So it's not even an edited screenshot, it's an artist impression.

I couldn't get closer then this after a LOT of trying. It's spring and the first possible day without snow, about 2 hours before dawn. Autumn did have completely different ground colors, so that was no option.

7514900672_59abc7ffc3_h.jpg

7514930092_e748811039_h.jpg

Wow, great composition match.

They stretched the tallest peak up higher, as the lower peaks align perfectly.

It is a modified screenshot, though. Look carefully at the foreground trees... Same autogen patterns. The two big trees in the clearing directly below the tip of the island gives it away, but others also match up.

EDIT: they didn't stretch the peak upwards, they added height by piling the snow on top. The lower slope details are not distorted.

Wow, great composition match.

They stretched the tallest peak up higher, as the lower peaks align perfectly.

It is a modified screenshot, though. Look carefully at the foreground trees... Same autogen patterns. The two big trees in the clearing directly below the tip of the island gives it away, but others also match up.

Thanks. It took some retries... :wink: (And still isn't perfect, of course...)

I think the picture is based on a screenshot, but nothing of the original screenshot is left in the splash screen. :wink: Seems to me someone painted over the screenshot in Photoshop, which would explain some trees ligning up while everything else looks different then it could ever look in the game.

Thanks. It took some retries... :wink: (And still isn't perfect, of course...)

I think the picture is based on a screenshot, but nothing of the original screenshot is left in the splash screen. :wink: Seems to me someone painted over the screenshot in Photoshop, which would explain some trees ligning up while everything else looks different then it could ever look in the game.

Jeroen, thats a pretty fantastic effort Sir!!!

I think the detail surpasses the artist impression. Like the Hawaii shot I think these images were laid down by the artists to provide that inspiration to the developers, and you have to say they managed to get pretty close.

Cheers,

Dave.