Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

Ian Grant's Replacement Gravel Runway Textures - WOW!

Some time ago I downloaded and installed a set of replacement textures for the stock gravel runways. But as I usually fly airliners or military aircraft, I never actually got around to looking at them. Today I decided to do a flight using the amazing Georender Alaska Cinematic Vols 1 & 2 scenery. It provides a fabulous experience that is so life-like it is almost breath-taking. But the airstrips all use stock textures and the transition from almost real world realism to the pathetic stock airstrips used to spoil the experience and I lost interest. But with Ian Grant's replacement textures, it's a whole different experience. They are superb! So I'm now addicted to Alaska bush flying - as well as the iFly 737 and QW 146 and LevelD 767 with new VC texures and - and - -------- aaaarrrrghhhhh --- so much flying to do, so little time!!! LOL

Seriously guys and gals - if you haven't downloaded the replacement gravel runway textures, do it.. They are free and they are amazing!!! Search for Ian Grant in the library.....

Cheers

Ian (no relation to the talented Ian mentioned above!)

Many thanks for the info, Ian.

I, too, have Alaska Cinematic which I haven't looked at for a long time so this is a timely reminder to re-install it and do some bush flying!

David

I just bought the 2 Georender Packs also, amazing scenery for FS9 Alaska.

They really are amazing. Don't forget to set your FPS to unlimited otherwise you will get the "blurries." The gravel runways are wonderful - sadly the other stock garbage is still there for airfields with sealed runways so you may want to pick and choose which ones you fly to. I've been doing flights out of Aerosoft's PANC/Lake Hood in the Carenado 185 and have tweaked several airstrips using F1 Instant Scenery. Lots of fun... If you want the .bgl for the tweaks, send me a PM and I'll get them to you, though you will need to have the same models they use installed in your scenery library.

If there's any interest, I'd be willing to post a scenery file using readily available freeware models

Cheers

Ian

Nice to see you weakened Ian and indulged in the Avro.Money%20Eyes.gif

With all the great comments it was getting, who could resist??? LOL

I also have Aerosoft PANC, that addon is super beautiful, lol.

You are right - Aerosoft's PANC is one of the finest addon products for FS ever released. One of those sceneries you can look at time and time again and still find something new.... With the Georender scenery as well, it's made Alaska a real gem for FS9 --- PLUS Glacier Bay!!! Alaska may give us some pretty strange politicians (especially of the female variety) but the scenery is addictive

Thanks for the pointer... I confess to being confused by the FSX! FSX! plastered all over the download, but by gum it works, and does make a difference in FS9!

I see a whole lot of other stock textures in there, waiting for talented Mr Grant, and I hope he sees it through.

This could open up a whole new vista of flying into stock strips in interesting places.

He did mention that he was going to do a dirt runway texture as I recall but I think it fell by the wayside. But he definitely showed what could be done. I have felt for years that a complete redo of many of the stock textures that were not touched by GE Pro or REX would make a huge difference and be something many of us would be willing to pay for. But as the numbers of FS9ers dwindle, I guess the chances are nobody will ever do it. It's a shame as so many aspects of the sim have been revolutionized and then when you see the original textures they really stand out like the proverbial "sore thumb."

when you see the original textures they really stand out like the proverbial "sore thumb."

Bit of heresy I realise, and it isn't my intention to troll, however for the last 10 days I haven't used either AS 6.5 or Rex textures. :Nerd:

And I like what I see! Probably just the change doing me good. However what I seem to be seeing is a more natural representation of reality. Go figure.Nail%20Biting.gif :unknw:

Maybe you're enjoying the sight of all those sore thumbs! JK mate!!! To each his own.......

:drinks: