Sign in to follow this  
WingZ

Remember the Bull Stearman?

What a ripple it caused when it was released on an unsuspecting FS9 user group!

fs92012-07-0218-20-08-63.jpg

I wonder why there has been so little uptake in modelling FS9 planes with huge poly counts?

Too hard?

I would imagine that it is a matter of how much time is involved. Freeware designers may not have the time necessary and Payware designers will be considering the developement time versus the monetary return and what they would have to ask for in the form of selling price to recover their costs and turn a profit. If I remember correctly, the Stearman was a experiment to test or prove the stated polygon limit could be worked around. The results of course are there to be seen (Stearman). I don't know if the techniques used also apply to FSX but had this all happened pre FSX I suppose it would have be put to use on a few more projects.

Regards,

Mel

Yes as I understood it, FSX gave designers more poly's to play with.

Hence the models could be more complex, and presumably better, than FS9.

I'm no modeller, but I understand that the poly limit applies when you compile the gmax model.

The breakthrough came in the workaround which went through FS9's 65k limit.

Texture mapping would then be different for each sim.

Bill Ortis has gone off to P3D Land which is a pity.

I had hoped that others might do complex models for both sims - FS9.5 has a good enough milieu for complex planes like the Bull Stearman.