Sign in to follow this  
NGXfanatic

747-400 being phased out by airlines

Hi everyone. I had stumbled upon an interesting read on the 747-400, and the impact that current high fuel costs (a third of an airline's typical costs) have had on this model, leading to a 10% discount on used airframes as young as just 10 years old, compared to other aircraft of similar vintage.

Be aware, the author makes little mention of the new -8 series, and some commenters sense it's biased towards Airbus, but IMHO it helps explain why Asian carriers are abandoning the 4 engine heavies in favor of twins like the 777 and A330 in an effort to cut fuel costs.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-06-21/boeings-747-400-a-faded-queen-of-the-skies

It's sad, it does look like the ole Queen is heading towards an early retirement.

No retirement for a very long time. She will be flying raw data approaches into exotic cargo destinations for many years to come :)

Rob Prest

No retirement for a very long time. She will be flying raw data approaches into exotic cargo destinations for many years to come :)

Amen to that Rob!

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Air NZ have sent most of their 747's to Victorville. Only two left now, and those two will be off to the scrapper within the next 18 months, being replaced with 777 and 787.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

United will eventually replace theirs with A350's, but no time frame on that.

United will eventually replace theirs with A350's, but no time frame on that.

The A350 is expected to be delivered sometime after 2015. So a few more years left for UA's 744s. Maybe by then the 748 will perform a little better in the passenger market.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

The A380's early timing has also put a major dent in the 747 program with over 200 orders.

I think there is still life left in the Queen. Delta is refurbishing their 747s so they plan to keep the old girl around. So there is life in the girl. Long live the Queen!

The 744 may be on the way out, and as many have stated, that's still a long way, but the 748s should take over atleast a bit and keep the Queen's legacy for a looooong time

Charan Kumar
FSX/XPX vPilot
VATSIM ZOA and Oceanic Controller (Pacific)

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead

wondering why nobody mention ths for exmaple

I am wondering how we could if we did not know

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

The 744 may be on the way out, and as many have stated, that's still a long way, but the 748s should take over atleast a bit and keep the Queen's legacy for a looooong time

"nobody" have bought the 748, at least not the 748-i. The sales figures have been very underwhelming

Beacuse the 748 isn't primarily aimed for the PAX market, as you can see in the sales numbers as well.