Sign in to follow this  
NGXfanatic

747-400 being phased out by airlines

Qantas still has about 7 years left on their 6 744ERs (The only six PAX 744ERs ordered) but some of the earlier 744s are being sent to Victorville.

Thanks,

Kevin L

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Korean Air and Arik Air have ordered 5 and 2 respectively, and there have also been some non disclosed VIP orders.

I'm sure I'd be able to buy one if I sold all my flightsim stuff :)

It is sad for me that such an icon is slowly beginning to fade. I used to watch the 200's and 300's roll in and out of heathrow from the roof when I was a kid. The 400 was even better. I only hope that more airlines pick up the 747-8. Don't get me wrong watching the a380 do its thing is quite a spectacle but even as an airbus fan I have to admit it is ugly from some angles. The 747 has something about it. Some kind of character.

Regards

5800X3D - Strix X570-E - 32GB 3600Mhz DDR4 - ASUS TUF 6900XT- Samsung 980 Pro x2                                                     

It's really a shame, although the current -400 version IS +20 years old for some carriers. Thankfully KLM and BA seem to keeping theirs in the fleet. I've only flown twice in the 747-400 (KLM and Thai) and I hope I will get to fly a lot more with it. I chose a ticket that costed around 150€ extra, just to fly with KLM 747-400, instead of KQ 767-300. (which is awesome too!)

which is awesome too

The 767 may be awesome, but nothing compares to the Queen.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

The 767 may be awesome, but nothing compares to the Queen.

True dat!

To me, the 747 forever remains a classy icon in aviation. One can't help but think of how majestic a BA 744 looks on final.

As one youtube user put it "The 747 is like the Empire State Building, exceeded by others in size, but forever an icon"

Ive read another article, seems like in the fast growing markets in Asia the 747s are no good, but in slower markets like Europe their operators still think they got life in them and still are competitive. From what I know the 747-400 is still gonna be around for a while, even with the major airlines but the only downside is the fuel costs.

Quite simply, Boeing destroyed the 747 with the 777. I doubt they intended to do so, but that's exactly what happened.

Paul

High fuel prices and their unpredictable future will likely push many airlines to go with twin jets. The main advantage a four-hole aircraft would give is more direct routing over oceans since there wouldn't be any ETOPS restrictions.

However, I still see the 747 around for a while like many of you said, especially in the cargo market. It's one of my favorites. Can't wait for PMDG's v2!

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

seems the 747-400 is going the same way as the lovely FS9 ........

really it s a shame but it was the same when they started to retire the classic 747s.

a life cycle of an airliner is always strange and even if the 777 is making is own path the 747 as her own way and the EROPS (ETOPS is no more the name) limitations are pushing the limits to protect the 777 but until that there is still the need for quads and 747 is the Queen.

all the best.

Phil.

There will be plenty of -400's around for a very long time yet in various roles.

Quite simply, Boeing destroyed the 747 with the 777. I doubt they intended to do so, but that's exactly what happened.

Paul

Boeing people are smart, and saw the sun setting for the big bird... 777 keeps plants open, and people working.

Change never stops. It'll take its place in the hall of fame with the rest of the great flying ladies of the sky.