Sign in to follow this  

How to use GMap as a popup within Flight full screen

You don't have to use Alt-Tab to switch between Flight and GMap. GMap has a button on the bottom right corner that keeps it always on top of other windows. Simply make sure that it is toggled on and then you can switch between Flight and GMap by clicking on the one you want.

If you are using the mouse as a controller, make sure to disactivate (press the Space bar) before switching to GMap or you might crash!

Best regards.

Luis

Hi Luis,

Not sure what you mean. If GMAP wasn't visible what would I click on to select it? I just noticed that if you intend to keep GMAP visible for awhile you can click on that Stay on Top button and then clicking somewhere in the Flight screen and can get the audio. Then click it again and you can hide GMAP.

Jim F.

Jim,

If you have a Thrustmaster or Saitek stick, they both have very good programming softs which allow you to program key macros into a button..much like FSUIPC does..

best

jake

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

You don't have to use Alt-Tab to switch between Flight and GMap. GMap has a button on the bottom right corner that keeps it always on top of other windows. Simply make sure that it is toggled on and then you can switch between Flight and GMap by clicking on the one you want.

I know, but I don't want GMap spoiling my view all the time! :wink: By default Stay on top is enabled and I specifically mentioned to turn that off because I can't imagine anyone wanting to have GMap onscreen all the time. :wink: But yes, if you want to have GMap constantly onscreen AND have sound, then simply skip the step to disable Stay on top and then click on the Flight window: you will be in Flight and GMap will be onscreen too, with sound.

Not sure what you mean. If GMAP wasn't visible what would I click on to select it? I just noticed that if you intend to keep GMAP visible for awhile you can click on that Stay on Top button and then clicking somewhere in the Flight screen and can get the audio. Then click it again and you can hide GMAP.

GMap would be onscreen all the time, even when you fly in Flight with sound and all, so you could always click on GMap because it's always there. You might want to click on it to load a flightplan or change a setting. It is an option indeed but I rather only let GMap popup for a few seconds and then go back again to Flight: using GMap as a popup is very handy specially for Alaska (flying through valleys) but as I said, I really don't want it onscreen all the time. :wink:

But indeed, as you said, you could use that Stay on top button if you really need to have GMap onscreen for a while for some reason AND you still want to fly with sound and all. t's nice to have options! :wink:

Jake,

Thanks. I just have what Win7 provided for my Saitek. I'll check out the Saitek software.

All interested,

I hooked up a second monitor and left Flight on the original and moved GMAP to the second. Works fine. No changes to the procedure provided by Jeroen. While fooling around I managed to get Flight to show up in a borderless window but disabled and re-enabled Auto Hotkey and GMAP and all was well. Not sure the exact order and I don't think it's any concern unless your a tinkerer. Whenever I clicked on GMAP I'd lose the Flight sound but it would return simply by clicking on the Flight screen.

There was a small loss of frame rate. Most noticeable when looking 90 degrees.

I did a Print Screen to check out what would happen and just GMAP (the selected window on the second monitor) and Flight were shown side by side with the same height in the composite image even though the monitors have different vertical resolutions.

Jim F.

Hi guys, not sure if this helps out with the above, but there is also a global hotkey to Hide/Show GMap: Ctrl+Shift+z

Fermin Fernandez
FSWidgets & TweakFS Developer
Melbourne, Australia (UTC+10)
FSWidgets  logo.png

Last weekend I started to use GMap ...

Again, many thanks for posting this! Works like a champ. :good:

It'll take some getting used to -- MS's scenery doesn't match the real thing obviously, but the general terrain layout is the same. And MS/Google don't always use the same points of interest. But still a very good thing. :smile:

MS's scenery doesn't match the real thing obviously, but the general terrain layout is the same.

I think Flight matches the real thing rather well, at least when it comes to valleys, rivers and roads and other things that help with VFR. I was following some of those rivers with lots of turns yesterday and when I switched to topdownview in Flight, it showed the EXACXT same lay out as GMap did, up to the smallest parts.

Navigating only using VOR isn't as easy as it was in Hawaii. And since the ingame map is useless for navigation, this is so far the best solution, I guess.

Hi guys, not sure if this helps out with the above, but there is also a global hotkey to Hide/Show GMap: Ctrl+Shift+z

I'll give that a try as soon as I am home! What I'd love to see was a toggle for the Stay on top option: if there was a shortcut for that, I would be able to toggle GMap on and off without ever losing sound. I'll see what Ctrl-Shift-z exactly does. Awesome!!! Ctrl-Shift-z indeed works as a toggle to show and hide GMap and you never lose sound because the focus stays on Flight! Awesome!!! I will update the OP!!!

And btw thanks for an awesome piece of freeware!!! im%20Not%20Worthy.gif (I hope the Android version for Flight (preferably with support for flightplans) will be ready soon. :wink: )

Opening post updated because of a great tip from TweakFS (Fermin Fernandez, the dev of GMap) about a standard GMap shortcut (Ctrl-Shift-z) that hide/show GMap! Now you will be able to call up GMap without losing sound! I added this to the tutorial and removed the steps to disable Stay on top and the comment about losing audio.

My widget GMAP will not connect to MS Flight.

Any ideas?

Did you start Flight first and GMap only after Flight was fully started? I usually start GMap when I am on the Flight map. However, it happened once or twice that I couldn't connect anyway: restarting Flight as well as GMap (in that order) solved the problem.

I have never used anything like this before, but I am going to follow the directions when I get home.

I do have 1 question though:

- It appears to be very big on the screen. Is there a way to resize GMAP to be smaller? (to bad you cannot make it into a small corner only mini-map with full functionality.)

I have never used anything like this before, but I am going to follow the directions when I get home.

I do have 1 question though:

- It appears to be very big on the screen. Is there a way to resize GMAP to be smaller? (to bad you cannot make it into a small corner only mini-map with full functionality.)

Yes, it's big, and no, I don't know of a way to resize it. That's why I like it that I can toggle it off. :wink: I only use it to quickly glance at it when needed. On the other hand: when you actually need GMap the size is great... :wink: I would never keep it onscreen all the time btw, not even if I could resize it. I like my screen to only show the VC and the Flight-world.

Yes, it's big, and no, I don't know of a way to resize it. That's why I like it that I can toggle it off. :wink: I only use it to quickly glance at it when needed. On the other hand: when you actually need GMap the size is great... :wink: I would never keep it onscreen all the time btw, not even if I could resize it. I like my screen to only show the VC and the Flight-world.

And if you have the sectionals loaded on it which I do, you would want it that big in order to see the detail of the sectional.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Again, many thanks for posting this! Works like a champ. :good:

It'll take some getting used to -- MS's scenery doesn't match the real thing obviously, but the general terrain layout is the same. And MS/Google don't always use the same points of interest. But still a very good thing. :smile:

If you are going to be using GMap a lot, the sectionals for it look like a great value. They should work better for navigation.

This is fantastic....actually I'm new to Gmap so I am really looking forward to getting off work tonight and playing around with it.

One quick question....I got it working, and I love it...when I actually click on the Gmap window, my game pauses. I can call the window up using ctrl-shft-z without any interruption, but clicking it pauses my game. Is this right?

Also, I keep my taskbar unhidden. It disappears in-game anyway, so it's all good....which makes me super happy cause I don't want to keep it hidden as a matter of habit.