Sign in to follow this  
c97019

Plane cockpit tease..

1. I also hope the GPS a better one then the one in the Icon! Then again, I don't really care that much: It's already great to get another plane with VC.

As I already mentioned.. The GPS actually needs to be as functional as at least default FSX.. Default FSX while basic in comparison to real units was great for basic GA flights to do direct GPS routes to airports or VORS etc, pull up approaches for airports that had them etc etc etc.. The Icon GPS is basically a box with a moving color thingy of uselessness. Seriously though if the Cub GPS is just as useless I will finally depart Flight.. My money is on useless GPS.. Everything the Flight team touches is like a Chef trying to make gourmet meals with leftover food from McDonalds.

5. Funny to see how happy we all are with a VC... as if it's something special... :wink:

Sadly you are right.. Because for Flight it is.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Guys,

please just don't build huge expectations regarding the GPS! I'm almost sure it'll be the Icon5 type, because that's what's visible in the released Carbon Cub. But we will get a cockpit, and that shows something in terms of future models/DLCs :-)

I'm happy :-))))))))

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Guys,

please just don't build huge expectations regarding the GPS! I'm almost sure it'll be the Icon5 type, because that's what's visible in the released Carbon Cub. But we will get a cockpit, and that shows something in terms of future models/DLCs :-)

I'm happy :-))))))))

For Hawaii basic useless GPS (or no GPS) is fine.. You can VFR the entire islands with basic `dead reckoning' navigation or entirely VOR. In a place like Alaska unassisted VFR doesn't work out too well. You NEED GPS or like many are experiencing it's a M button party to make sure you are on course because you can't VOR the entire state.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Im SUPER happy that they showed a cockpit finally (on so many levels). Now I can finally buy Alaska!!!

As for the GPS, its unknown. Looks like the same color/land that the Icon has for its moving map. Time will only tell what sort of function it has. It would be nice to see a full GPS, but I dont think its needed in Flight.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

In a place like Alaska unassisted VFR doesn't work out too well. You NEED GPS

I have to say that I do not agree. If you pay attention to your heading and do not deviate from the course that you are taking then you should only have to hit the M key 2 or 3 times in flight. I do not understand why you would need to keep going back to the map over and over. #confused

Default FSX while basic in comparison to real units was great for basic GA flights

Well, I have to say that for a long time I didn't really know what the default FSX GPS could do. It's a lot better imho then a lot of people know! Most people only used it to see where the plane was going, but you could indeed do Direct to's, look up nearby airports, NDB's, VOR's, look at airport information, etc. etc. I have been using the Reality XP in FS9 but never bought it for FSX because in the end I found out that the default FSX GPS could do all I ever used... Imho the FSX GPS is a bit of a unknown gem in FSX.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that I would be VERY HAPPY with an FSX-like GPS! And I agree: anything less would be a disappointment... although for me it wouldn't be the end of Flight. :wink:

Allfiredup.... when was that pic taken? That is the airport less than a mile from my house. I eat at that cafe almost every Saturday.

I am amazed how I looked at that pic and immediately knew it was a Carbon Cub. Flight has done a good job with the planes.

I'm almost sure it'll be the Icon5 type, because that's what's visible in the released Carbon Cub.

Hm, bummer... when I look at the teaser screenshot I indeed also see that Icon type GPS... bummer...

I had a look at what's available for the real Carbon Cub:

http://www.cubcrafters.com/carboncubss/options

and those GPS's don't look at ALL like what you see on the teaser shot.

Well... it's still nice to get a VC, but then I would have prefered one without a GPS at ALL.

I have a hard time even imagining they will do more with the Cub's GPS than just borrow the Icon's.

And honestly, I might prefer the Stearman's little hand-held, since I can at least get precise LAT/LONs.

Allfiredup.... when was that pic taken? That is the airport less than a mile from my house. I eat at that cafe almost every Saturday.

I am amazed how I looked at that pic and immediately knew it was a Carbon Cub. Flight has done a good job with the planes.

If I'm reading it right, it says it was taken in 2010. I was just looking up on Google images for the Carbon Cub instrument panel and found it.

http://flemingaviation.com/tiki-index.php?page=SportCub

from the image specs:

• ype: PHP Date: Mar 17, 2010 Camera: Sony CYBERSHOT

Less image info Settings: 1/500s, f/4.5, ISO 100 Focal length: 7mm Flash usage: Flash fired Exposure bias: 0 EV

Interesting is that up to now (as far as I could check) the teasershots for previous planes were released about 10 days before the actual release, so at the middle of the month. They are quick with this one so this one might be released long before the end of July...?

That looks totally like the Carbon Cub cockpit. Why couldn't they just release it with the Alaska DLC. :) I think they are messing with us.

The last thing they are doing is messing; it's a shrewd bit of marketing.

People bought the Alaska D/L because they'd been waiting so long for something new for Flight that they were ready to accept anything, including a Cub with no cockpit, since it seemed a mere bonus to the scenery. But now they see a cockpit being dangled in front of them, and the release of cockpitless aeroplanes in the preceding weeks served to build the anticipation for one with a cockpit. So the majority will doutbles pay for the 'upgrade' to a cockpit because they are already some way in it money-wise, it having been 'given' to them by virtue of purchasing Alaska.

It was quite obviously a marketing ploy to do it that way, and a clever one too. Let's say you have to pay 10 bucks for the cockpit version: If it had been grouped in with Alaska, that'd be a less palatable 25 bucks which Alaska would have been pitched at if the package had been all in one with the Cub's cockpit. To be fair, if it is a good rendition, that is still very favourable price-wise compared to typical FS scenery and aeroplanes, but we remain locked in as far as choice goes, which is the downside to it in contrast to FS, where there are, to my knowledge, three payware Cubs, and many other alternatives available beyond the one you already get with it anyway.

MS certainly do know what they are doing: When people are overjoyed and thrilled to see something as basic as a Piper Cub cockpit showing up and raving about it with the same fervour as though it was a fully-realistic PMDG L-1011 Tristar or something, you have to say that MS have really done a good job of hooking people, and that's not all.

We all know that they should really have done a Twotter or a G21 or Beaver or something equally suitable for Alaska, and not really a Cub, even a nice one. And it is a safe bet that such a more suitable aircraft will the next thing you will see, and you'll need it to cover Alaska, which you'll already have bought, so then you'll need to buy that. Nothing wrong with this if you enjoy it of course, but it feels a little bit too much like having a ring through my nose to me.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Hm, bummer... when I look at the teaser screenshot I indeed also see that Icon type GPS... bummer...

I had a look at what's available for the real Carbon Cub:

http://www.cubcrafte...oncubss/options

and those GPS's don't look at ALL like what you see on the teaser shot.

Well... it's still nice to get a VC, but then I would have prefered one without a GPS at ALL.

Honestly you can' judge a GPS's functionality just by it's topography screen.

Even though this isn't a full blown GPS shows the topography looks just the same. Cabon Cub uses Garmin GDU 375 (internal GPS), the one pictured is a G500 (no internal GPS but works in conjunction w/ the GNS 530 GPS)

80lsv.jpg

People bought the Alaska D/L because they'd been waiting so long for something new for Flight that they were ready to accept anything, including a Cub with no cockpit, since it seemed a mere bonus to the scenery. But now they see a cockpit being dangled in front of them, and the release of cockpitless aeroplanes in the preceding weeks served to build the anticipation for one with a cockpit. So the majority will doutbles pay for the 'upgrade' to a cockpit because they are already some way in it money-wise, it having been 'given' to them by virtue of purchasing Alaska.

It was quite obviously a marketing ploy to do it that way, and a clever one too. Let's say you have to pay 10 bucks for the cockpit version: If it had been grouped in with Alaska, that'd be a less palatable 25 bucks which Alaska would have been pitched at if the package had been all in one with the Cub's cockpit. To be fair, if it is a good rendition, that is still very favourable price-wise compared to typical FS scenery and aeroplanes, but we remain locked in as far as choice goes, which is the downside to it in contrast to FS, where there are, to my knowledge, three payware Cubs, and many other alternatives available beyond the one you already get with it anyway.

MS certainly do know what they are doing: When people are overjoyed and thrilled to see something as basic as a Piper Cub cockpit showing up and raving about it with the same fervour as though it was a fully-realistic PMDG L-1011 Tristar or something, you have to say that MS have really done a good job of hooking people.

Al

People are so damn predictable. Oh my. You are so right, Chock.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Oh I agree... lol I said that with my tongue firmly pressed in my cheek. :LMAO: