Sign in to follow this  
james42

Speed and altitude sudden changes

Hello everyone, All of my aircraft seem to be having trouble holding there speed and altitude when cruising. Today I was climbing to FL350 in the simcheck a300, once I had finished climbing I set the AT to hold M.078 which was about 290KIAS . Its ok for the first few minutes but then my speed will suddenly drop to about 280KIAS or increase to over 300KIAS. It does this about every 5 minutes. I have the same problem with my altitude suddenly decreasing or increasing by about 200 feet. Its not just my a300, i seem to have this problem with all my planes. The higher I go the more often it happens. Any help appreciated on this. Thanks.

Are you using REX? Sometimes I get random wind bursts that radically change my speed.

The sudden wind gusts, shears, updrafts and turbulence are part of what make FSX unrealistic compared to real flying.

Yes, those phenomena happen in the real world, obviously, but the way FSX models them is exaggerated to say the least.

There are, however, a number of ways of dealing with them:

1) If you have FSUIPC, you can "calm" the sudden wind shifts via the control interface once in FSX.

2) Use the "Fair Weather" theme (vs. real world weather) whenever you fly. That's as perfect and uneventful as it gets... Although, those

sudden gusts and other things are still there, but not as severe.

3) Fly aircraft that can deal with those sudden changes a lot easier e.g. most modern commercial jets (heavy iron) with accurately programmed FMCs can easily tear through those

anomalies, but this may not be an option if you don't like flying big jets and/or can't afford some of the more professional packages e.g. PMDG, Level-D, etc.

Hope that helps?

:mellow:

Yes I have REX 2.0. But what happens is that when I'm climbing to my Flight Altitude my Auto Throttle decreases the number that I set which might be 340 and it randomly sets it to 250. But only when I'm climbing.