Sign in to follow this  
FrankFasi

Flight with Gmap video

I did this more as a self-tutorial on working with video clips, and less as an actual flying tutorial of any sort. Still, some of you may find it interesting in that it shows how easy it is to create a detailed flight plan using some of the old FS planners, and then pull that flight plan up in Flight, using Gmap.

Thanks for the video. Once they get the Flight Gmap working on Android, im going to load that up on my HP TouchPad running ICS and use it as a GPS screen. This is what I truly love about the simming community is this sort of thing, and its still early in Flights lifetime. Stuff like this didnt come out for years after FS2004 or even FSX.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Great video. Question....what (hopefully freeware :) program can be used to create a flight plan? The video is a bit ambiguous about that, unless I'm missing something.

Questions, were you running Flight in windowed mode? And also , how did you keep audio on when Gmap is displayed.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Great video. Question....what (hopefully freeware :) program can be used to create a flight plan? The video is a bit ambiguous about that, unless I'm missing something.

In the video Flight Commander is used. You can download a shareware version of that program that you can use forever but it will quit after every half hour and you can't save your plans... Plan-G is (imho) a far better solution for VFR flights. It's completely free and uses the same Google-maps as GMap, so the maps have the same feel and look. (FS Commander has a map and mind and interface of its own :wink: ). However... both programs need to build a database before they can be used and for that you need FSX installed... (or maybe FS9 will work too). There isn't a planner out there yet that supports Flight out of the box. The database for Plan-G can be backupped once you have it (4 files) so once you have it, you will never need FSX again, but unfortunately the database may not be distributed legally...

Questions, were you running Flight in windowed mode? And also , how did you keep audio on when Gmap is displayed.

He probably used my UPDATED tutorial

http://forum.avsim.n...on-one-monitor/

in which you can read how to use GMap with Flight fullscreen and with sound all the time. :wink: But since the old version of that tutorial didn't work out for you, I don't think the new one will either... unfortunately.

However... both programs need to build a database before they can be used and for that you need FSX installed

Thank you for the info. I don't have FSX installed, so I will wait and hope for a future planner that supports Flight. Thanks again!!

nice video , i miss the good old FS Navigator.....

Image removed as image is no longer available.

+1 to Jeroen's suggestion for Plan-G. The planner supports GMap (to be fair here, so does ANY .PLN writer), which supports FLIGHT, so all good, I reckon. It really is as easy as creating an A-B plan, then just clicking on the little control handles to move the auto-created sub-waypoints around; export to FSX .PLN format; import into Gmap. Job's a good'n.

I have been using it for three days now and haven't gone back to FSC or Aivlasoft since; it has some drawing and zoom issues, but is still (afaik) the only planner to actually have terrain, whcih, if you are flying nap-of-the-earth, like we do in the clandestines and some of the nicer valleys etc, it's a must for me..

I forgot to thank you for that, Jeroen..another FS gem I have totally missed before

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

I forgot to thank you for that, Jeroen..another FS gem I have totally missed before

You are very welcome. :wink:

Thank you for the info. I don't have FSX installed, so I will wait and hope for a future planner that supports Flight. Thanks again!!

Hm, bummer... Anyone knows a solution for this...? Another way of creating that database...?

Also interested. I do have a copy of FSX I could install to build the database, but that won't be an option for everyone.

I'm going to give Plan-G another look. If it will save flight plans that can be read by Gmap for Flight, then I agree it's a good way to go.

I still had problems with audio dropping out.

I used two screen recording programs simultaneously to make the video: Fraps (for Flight), and "Debut" (for the flight planner and the Gmap interface). I made sure to start them both at the same time, to eliminate having to do any "lining up" in my video editor later. Everything was synced already. All I had to do was drop the video clips recorded by the two programs into my video editor (AVS suite) and the rest was fairly easy. I made the Gmap clip an "overlay" of the main Flight clip. In AVS you can resize the overlay, that's how I made it fit in the upper left of the screen.

I'm going to give Plan-G another look. If it will save flight plans that can be read by Gmap for Flight, then I agree it's a good way to go.

I still had problems with audio dropping out.

Yes, it can save plans for FSX. You always have to choose that option when you save the flight btw: it always defaults to a (not so useful) Plan-G format.

About the audio: Flight HAS to be the active window BEFORE you use ctrl-shift-z to toggle GMap! So if you just started GMap do NOT immediately use ctrl-shift-z to hide it and then go to Flight, but FIRST go to Flight (you will see GMap on top) and THEN use ctrl-shift-z. If you happen to click on GMap during a flight (to change something) be sure to click on the Flight window to make it the active one again BEFORE you use ctrl-shift-z to hide GMap!

I will add this to the tutorial.