Sign in to follow this  
Jazznow

Flying wild Alaska - Flight plans

Hi folks,

Today I thought it would be great to do some of the flights, the guys in this tv show did. So I googled around but didn't find any summary of the flights they were doing and no flight plans or similar too.

So I thought maybe the msflight community can put together something great: A database of all flights they did in FWA.

What do I wnt everybody to do?

I want you to pick your favorite episode of FWA and pol your most favorite flight out of it. Watch the pisode and take notes. After that do some online research, maybe fire up flight and have a look how the scenery looks light in game.

After that please fill out the following as an fact sheet and post it in this thread.

Fact Sheet

Episode (time of first appearance):

Pilot:

Plane: which one is used in the tvsow, which one would you recommend.

Season/date/time:

Start: if it's an airport full name and code would be great. If its not an airport give an exact description of the place (with coordinates?). If its an airport that is not simulated in flight, choose whether to start somewhere on a field in the area where it would be or to start from an airport nearby.

Destination: same as start

Passengers/Cargo: maybe mention special actions here. For xample: explosives, you have to fly around populated areas, land softly and don't get into heavy wheather to avoid explosion.

Nav directions: this part cn be as short or as long as you want. Maybe you just google the vor frequencies and radials you need to find the destination. Or you put an exact description how to fly in it (like: after takeoff head 273 degrees or 15 mins, when you pass a big lake turn right to course xy and fly for approx. 20 mins than take the third valley entrance to the right etc.pp.)

Eventually you can even put together an fsx flight plan, so people can load it into their gmap thingy (descriptions to the single waypoints would be great) or maybe you can provide charts or similar. I'm not sure if we are allowed to add flight plan file as an attachment to a post.

Special occurrences: put info for special occurances in here (f.e. after 1h30min of flight time a bird hits your plane. Lookout for an suitable place to do an emergency landing. You can continue your flight after an mechanician checked your plane)

That's it. I know its a lot of work, but think about it. Many people are doing an extensive flight planning anyway and you just have to provide some additional info. Other people will benefit from the work and if enough people take part on this you can benefit of their work too.

I think this collection could provide many of us with hours of fun.

Greetings

Jazznow

Hi,

Can't be of much help as I seldom watch the show. I did see a bit of it last week and it involved a flight from Nome to little Diomedes that I thought might be worthwhile replicating. As it turns out neither Big nor Little Diomedes is well modeled. Just a brown nondescript mound representing both. However, Bering Strait has taken on a whole new meaning for me.

Jim F.

I had wanted to see this topic take off, but I always forget to take note of the routes. But I did note Ariel's solo xcountry flight and thought I would drop it here.

S03E06 - Radio Silence

C172

PAUN PANV PARS PABE

That dude snuggs also had a passenger flight from PAUN PAVA PAHP in a C340.

I plan to fly these this weekend if the weather is bad here.

I have been watching this show lately and checking out some of the airports mentioned. I also tried to go St. Lawrence Island, but it was just a flat, blank area like the other Hawaiian islands before you buy the DLC.

PAUN - Unalakleet

PADU - Unalaska

PABR - Barrow

PABE - Bethel

Oddly enough, the plane I'd like to fly from the show is the Short 330 Sherpa.

That dude snuggs also had a passenger flight from PAUN PAVA PAHP in a C340

Is that the one where he had to deal with a dude who was sipping from a bottle of hard liquor on board?

I have been working on this very thing for the past 2 weeks, I have all of Season One done and I'm currently working through Season Two after which I shall do Season Three ...I have the plans done, I am now working through giving a little background to each flight . When I have them completed I intend to share them on my Skydrive. So, I should have them all completed within the next two weeks.

I will not be doing what is asked by the author of this thread, I am simply creating the Flight Plans using Plan-G and providing a little background for each flight, these Flight Plans can then either be loaded into Plan-G (or any compatible Flight Planner that reads the .pln format) and edited, printed etc ..or they can be loaded into Gmap and followed via GPS.

Great work Crusaderuk!

An other airport they fly to is Nome (As i remember for medical emergencies, because they have a hospital?)

Oddly enough, the plane I'd like to fly from the show is the Short 330 Sherpa.

Agreed with you on that, probably a close second is the Dash-8 but it would sure make the Sherpa would sure make the cargo achievements easier - believe it was S02E03 where they delivered the drill with the Sherpa in near white out conditiions - would be a fun one to recreate.

Is that the one where he had to deal with a dude who was sipping from a bottle of hard liquor on board?

yep

Just one question. Where can I get to see full episodes of this program? I can`t watch it on their website as I am told it is unavailable in my area (UK), and I can`t watch it on You Tube as there seems to be restrictions on viewing there as well.

All I can watch are short clips from the series, nothing more. I would love to see a whole episode.

Just one question. Where can I get to see full episodes of this program? I can`t watch it on their website as I am told it is unavailable in my area (UK), and I can`t watch it on You Tube as there seems to be restrictions on viewing there as well.

All I can watch are short clips from the series, nothing more. I would love to see a whole episode.

View full episodes here Flying Wild Alaska

If you stil run into 'not available in your area' block, then download this little standalone proxy app

Ultrasurf

run it then browse and you should find that you are able to bypass Area Restricted Content.

Season 1 is on NetFlix. I would love to have some missions or aerocaches tied to ERA Alaska and Jim Tweto

I shall be uploading Flight Plans (and instructions) for flights that I've tried to recreate from the 'Flying Wild Alaska' series.

This is the first flight from Season One - Episode One.

Flying Wild Alaska - Season One/Episode One - Unalakleet to the Nurato Hills

Download Unalakleet to Nurato Hills - Flight01

Jim Tweto takes three hunters up into the Nurato Hills, 102 Miles Northeast of Unalakleet.

Upon arrival at the selected landing zone, Jim makes three passes in order to airdrop the hunters gear near the landing zone to lighten the load and therefore shorten the distance needed for braking on landing. Shortly after taking off for the return journey the left rudder mechanism fails and jim has to shuffle over into the co-pilots seat in order to bring the plane safely home.

Download the file and unzip/extract to a folder of your choice.

You will find the flight plan file VFR Unalakleet to Nulato Hunt.pln and a README text file,

place the VFR Unalakleet to Nulato Hunt.pln file in the folder where you keep your Flight Plans. The text file gives details of the Flight and any special instructions.

The Flight Plan can be loaded into Gmap(recommended) or Plan-G and followed accordingly.

Enjoy

Next Flight will be posted Monday.

PS..this can also be found on the Steam MSF Forum here Steam Thread

Too bad the FWA series has come to an end. I actually like Ice Pilots just as much though and it has new episodes airing.