Sign in to follow this  
teropa

RealAir C172

Wheel-panted version as well please-they look much nicer (see my profile pic). Ours have lasted ages. Just make sure you keep them clean and don't land on bumpy grass airstrips too often ;)

Oh and +1 for steam gauges!

I have to agree with this. In 30 years of flight simming, I have never logged as many hours on a single aircraft as I have the Realair Legacy. One thing that bothers me though is the canopy reflection map. With the canopy reflection turned on, when flying late in the afternoon or early in the morning when the sun is low, I get this cone shape light protruding from the sun when viewing it out the sides of the canopy from inside the VC, clouds or no clouds doesn't matter.

I've never noticed this.... maybe I need to spend more time looking out the windows hehe. I use the Legacy often on Pilot Edge flying approaches because it's so fast.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Wheel-panted version as well please-they look much nicer (see my profile pic). Ours have lasted ages. Just make sure you keep them clean and don't land on bumpy grass airstrips too often ;)

Oh and +1 for steam gauges!

Looking at the locations of those who rarely see them and those that want them...... we're obviously just better pilots? Straight%20Face.gif ........ :LMAO:

Geoff Brown

I am hoping that Real Air's 172 will have a model with wheel pants

Wheelpants :Phbbbt: Bah!

Can't check the virtual brakes... blocks more of the virtual downward view... collects virtual mud and weeds... virtual mounting holes round out (requiring virtual repair)... adds virtual weight... harder to check virtual tire pressure... how to mount virtual bush wheels? need I continue with more virtual reasons?

Can't check the virtual brakes... blocks more of the virtual downward view... collects virtual mud and weeds... virtual mounting holes round out (requiring virtual repair)... adds virtual weight... harder to check virtual tire pressure... how to mount virtual bush wheels? need I continue with more virtual reasons?

:biggrin:

I don't want wheel pants on it, either. But maybe they can make two models or a configuration switch, to switch them on/off, depending on where you wnat to land?

One more vote for steam gauges, though that decision's probably already made.

• Upvote 1

I've never noticed this.... maybe I need to spend more time looking out the windows hehe. I use the Legacy often on Pilot Edge flying approaches because it's so fast.

I didn't notice either at first. I was so busy learning the dual RXP Unlimited 530's and shooting approaches. But after I got a good grasp on the systems and flying characteristics, it was time to load up the Megascenery, Bluesky photo scenery, and Orbx scenery and do some serious exploring and sight seeing. With my TrackIR 5 on in VFR while enroute, I'm constantly scanning my my view left to right to enjoy the sights and keep aware of other AC, and at my favorite times of day to fly early morning or late afternoon, when that sun hits my brain with that cone shape light shaft it kinda ruins the whole suspension of disbelief for me. So my answer so far has been to fly only at night or in the middle of the day. I know this could be fixed, I'm just not sure which file holds that reflection map?

Chris Strobel KSNA

original.jpg

I too would love to have a wheelpants on/off option. A config panel where you can turn them on or off would be great and I really hope RealAir includes this, or at very least different models selectable in the aircraft list, kind of like Carenado did. I think the wheelpants fit well with a nicely maintained and sharp looking 172, while the wheelpants-off look fits on a very well used and abused trainer :)

Oh Well, It had to be done................Just added the Realair Legacy to my collection. It's downloading as I type. I'l probably stump up for the Scout fairly soon as well, I like the look of it and it will be my first tail dragger.

It's been a while, but all the time that I was flying I don't recall ever having wheel pants on a club or rental C-150 or C-172. I'm guessing that they were left off to make access to the tires easier for inspection and replacing.

Ernie

You could travel to Portales, NM and rent mine! LOL!!

Cheers,

Ken

For what it is worth, I completely agree with your point of view on steam gauges in FSX. They do look and perform better from my personal experience even though in actual aircraft the glass stuff is more functional! I think it has to do with the limits of a practical monitor size and how it limits how the glass can be presented.

I think the same. I think that "glass" in newer "full size" aircraft, is the way to go. I think synthetic vision is great! But a flight sim itself, is what synthetic vision is made from...........and desktop screens are just too small to apprciate glass. I never use them for simming. Probably because I'm looking at glass and synthetic terrain as it is....

Ok Bert, I just got the Scout.

Seems to be just the right tool for rough grass airstrips.

Cheers

Great - enjoy! The tundra tires make it a hoot to look at..

I had some trim trouble during the first takeoffs and stalled several times (too sensitive for my joystick), but after some tweaking all is good.

ORBX’s Lands Inn 49OR is amazing and a joyride for the Scout, frankly I don’t know if the C172 can take that turf landing strip. (FAA info says RWY 13/31 is in fair condition, I wonder what bumpy condition would mean)

BTW: (I’ll try to insert a NAV/GPS switch later today)

On Topic: Patiently waiting for the announcement of the RealAir C172

Cheers.

For what it is worth, I completely agree with your point of view on steam gauges in FSX. They do look and perform better from my personal experience even though in actual aircraft the glass stuff is more functional! I think it has to do with the limits of a practical monitor size and how it limits how the glass can be presented.

I echo these sentiments as well.

What I find with GA sim glass is that my scan is actually degraded rather than improved, as primary information is simply harder to see in a normal VC angle/view. The only (partial) glass sim plane I own that I still enjoy flying is the G500 equipped Carenado P46T, but part of what makes it flyable for me is that the backup analog gauges are in a very visible location. I don't need the analog AI, but the glass "tapes" for altitude and airspeed are difficult to read in a normal view (not impossible, just difficult, disrupting my scan), so the analog airspeed indicator and altimeter become primary instruments when I fly the Malibu. And even at that, it's frustrating how often I have to click for the pop-up. I love the information that's presented, but hate that I have to work to make it useable.

Getting back on topic, I'm looking forward to this one as well. Sometimes it's fun to get back to your roots, and I have a lot of good memories sitting in the left seat of a 172 going nowhere fast and loving every minute of it. And even with analog gauges, I know this will have better avionics than ANY of the 172s I used to fly!

Scott

I have to say I am very, very impressed with the Legacy. The immersiveness is superb. The shaking cabin and vibrating gauge needles remind me of exactly how it feels to sit in a light GA aircraft. I did a few circuits in EICK earlier and I managed to handle it fairly well; landing it smoothly each time. It's one hell of a fast plane compared to my regular C172 and Eaglet and quite difficult to bleed off speed. Definitely need to put a bit of thought into approaches.