Sign in to follow this  
Halcyonskys

is this a bug or a feature?

I noticed when you cut off the engines on the R6 the brakes lock to an on position and flaps instantly/magically go to zero.

But then i also noticed the flap thing on all the other planes that have flaps that i have (maule, mustang, orion). Turning the engine off makes them instantly go flat. On the R6 you cant move them afterwards.

Also when you turn the engine on, it automatically cranks to 80% throttle.

All lighting shuts off too when the engines off. I use to be able to keep my instruments and lights on with fsx while the engines off.

Brakes = Hydraulics

Flaps = Cables in small GA; in most larger planes hydraulics for flaps and brakes - don't know about the RV)

Lights = Battery then alternator - if you run your lights without an alternator generating power for too long you'll flatten your battery.

All of these (bar the cables) require a turning shaft of some kind in piston/hydraulic engines..That's why the flaps in a lot of well modelled GA makes a small engine noise when lowering/raising the flaps..and it's how undercarriage is raised

I'd say if you could have brakes and flaps in a simple piston plane with no engine running, it's either got a seperate hydraulic system driven by a motor or it's badly modelled - something FSX isn't immune from :smile:

Someone feel free to correct me! The RV flaps thing sounds like a bug, perhaps...Brakes I can understand not working..Try turning off your car ignition while you're driving (if you have power/hydraulic steering, that is) and see if you can still steer (on second thoughts; don't :Big Grin: )

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

The RV flaps are electric and if you are pressing B to shut down, then I'm fairly certain that turns off the master switch as well which will kill electrical power to all systems.

To properly shut down only the engine, I would recommend setting the mixture to full rich followed by setting the Magnetos to off

"B" is not just an engine cut-off; it is a full aircraft shut-down you would do when parking the plane. This includes retracting the flaps, setting the brakes and disconnecting the battery.

If you want to just stop the engine, pull the throttle and mixture back, then turn the run-switch to off.

"B" is not just an engine cut-off; it is a full aircraft shut-down you would do when parking the plane. This includes retracting the flaps, setting the brakes and disconnecting the battery.

If you want to just stop the engine, pull the throttle and mixture back, then turn the run-switch to off.

B is for someone that doesn't want to do a proper aircraft shutdown and park, so it's all done for you.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

One can also just bring up the checklist and follow the procedure for shutting down.

By coincidende I also found out today that "B" resets trim. I have to say I don't mind this option: I usually turn everything off manually, but it's nice to know that "B" will reset everything whenever you might need that.

Here is a list I just made of all that's turned on AND off with "B"

Ignition (on=both, off=off)

Battery (on=on, off=off)

Alternate (on=on, off=off)

Trim (on and off both reset trim)

Flaps (on and off both set flaps up (which means zero in the Maule!))

Mixture (on=100%, off=0%)

Parking brake (on=on, off=off)

Things I could only check in the Maule since the others don't have them in the VC:

Fuel pump (on and off both turn fuel pump off if it was on)

Fuel switch (on and off both set fuel switch to both if it wasn't on both)

Did I miss anything? All other options are left as they are (avionics, lights, pitot heat, etc.).

so flaps even in a cub should be reset when you hit B? not much i can do about planes that have no virtual cockpit to individually shut thigns off, unless you can still asign keys for everything still.

*edit

i just checked.. i dont see swtiches for anything pretty much under airplane controls. lights is only l, their is no direct settings for strobes or electircal system/battery, etc.. but wont work after hitting B.

their is no ignition switch and whatnot.. only settings for flaps (which dont work after B), etc.

The RV flaps are electric and if you are pressing B to shut down, then I'm fairly certain that turns off the master switch as well which will kill electrical power to all systems.

To properly shut down only the engine, I would recommend setting the mixture to full rich followed by setting the Magnetos to off

ok so what is the keyboard command for magnetos? =P

I don't use the VC-less planes at all so I have no idea... Let me check and see if there are commands for that. Normally, I just click on the appropriate switch. :(

Edit:

Among the default mappings, this is the one that you can use to shut down the engine.

Mixture Minimum - Shift F1

No Magnetos mapping as we can see. Well VC-less clearly isn't going to pass for procedural simulation! :P

so flaps even in a cub should be reset when you hit B? not much i can do about planes that have no virtual cockpit to individually shut thigns off, unless you can still asign keys for everything still.

*edit

i just checked.. i dont see swtiches for anything pretty much under airplane controls. lights is only l, their is no direct settings for strobes or electircal system/battery, etc.. but wont work after hitting B.

their is no ignition switch and whatnot.. only settings for flaps (which dont work after B), etc.

You were talking about the RV. The RV has all the switches you need. Someone who says "I use to be able to keep my instruments and lights on with fsx while the engines off" shouldn't be flying planes without a VC. :wink: I am perfectly able to keep the instruments and lights on with the engines off in Flight!

*edit

I guess I don't understand your point. Since there are no switches on the basic planes, the only way you can shut everything off , like if it did have a VC , is to hit B. Hitting B again turns everything back on......

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I guess I don't understand your point. Since there are no switches on the basic planes, the only way you can shut everything off , like if it did have a VC , is to hit B. Hitting B again turns everything back on......

Well i was being sarcastic about the magnetos. I know their isnt a command for it, i looked.

I guess that was my point. We dont have keyboard commands or joystick mappable inputs for a lot of things now.

Why are all these options gone?

After looking at the keyboard commands i notice B says 'Aircraft on/off'. lol.

I need a mappable key that turns on all the things that are missing and bops on the head whoevers idea this was.

;P

You were talking about the RV. The RV has all the switches you need. Someone who says "I use to be able to keep my instruments and lights on with fsx while the engines off" shouldn't be flying planes without a VC. :wink: I am perfectly able to keep the instruments and lights on with the engines off in Flight!

i dont know if i should laugh or cry in response to that. ;P (dont fly anything with no vc)

what about the future of being able to map any of that vc to anything?

Lets say we dont map commands to confuse the little arcade xboxers who only want to crash into you while you land... why cant we still have them mappable but left blank for defualt?

The point is that he used B to shut the RV down instead of doing it manually (which btw is odd because he does know how to do it in FSX...)

Halcyonskys posted the point while I was typing... :wink:

Well i was being sarcastic about the magnetos. I know their isnt a command for it, i looked.

I guess that was my point. We dont have keyboard commands or joystick mappable inputs for a lot of things now.

Why are all these options gone?

After looking at the keyboard commands i notice B says 'Aircraft on/off'. lol.

I need a mappable key that turns on all the things that are missing and bops on the head whoevers idea this was.

;P

i dont know if i should laugh or cry in response to that. ;P

so only the rv is capable of doing this?

Well when you have a VC, I think it is alot more realistic to use the controls on the panel, to turn things on and off. I have never even considered looking to see if there was a keyboard command to do a mag check, to turn avionics on and off, or whatever. I just reach the control with the mouse and toggle it, same with the mixture, prop, lights, etc... They probably wanted to make it more realistic, and I think using the controls on the panel, does just that and I use them on every flight.

this will hose folks who like to map stuff to devices so they arent using a mouse to click on things.

it use to also have the added bonus of controlling things in a plane that had no vc, or bad vc.

but then im missing at least having a 2d dash on those versus having nothing at all.

sorry i went back and edited what i had said and added more too. =/ im to slow. lol.