Sign in to follow this  
Guest dlrk

ACARS/Datalink functionality(sdk/link to third party software)

Guest dlrk

Is there any chance of ACARS/Datalink functionality being implemented in the 777 or it's SDK? For example, allowing weather information to be retrieved from the web or ActiveSky. Or, allowing a VA client to hook into the FMS. This would be pretty cool.

Sorry if this has been asked.

Darrol,

I would like to see a full implementation of an EFB, including ACARS/CPDLC, in all future aircraft whose real-world counterparts have such equipment. I believe that this is only likely, though, if someone is ready to do the development, independent of an aircraft, and to then offer a set of APIs to which the aircraft developers could link, if they wished.

Whether there are any developers out there willing to take on these tasks we can only wait and see.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

There is a developer working on a ACARS system for FSX but it is not known if it will integrate with the 777 through an SDK.

Yes the Checklists are already in according to Ryan! No CPDLC/ACARS by PMDG themselves but I believe someone from the team said another developer can do it with the SDK. PMDG are working on the EFB for the 777 but Rob wasn't sure if it would quite make the initial release. Not a problem as he says we'll get it by a simple update! I'm excited to see the checklists!

Hi,

I've been working on an ACARS environment for FSX quite a while now. But due to my real job I had to suspend work on the project for the last 1 1/2 month an will have to for the next 3 month to come :( .

There is one thing I would like to clarify here because after my last post I received quite a few messages basically tell me that it can't be that hard to send messages from A to B. I would like to give just one example of why an ACARS implementation, if done as real as it gets, is not that trivial: ACARS on its own is a character based message service that works with lables to determine the different message formats. There are basically two message types: The Air-Ground-Segment and the Ground-Ground-Segement. Messages from an Aircraft to the Datalink service provider may look like this:

Oceanic Clearance Request:

<SOH>2.D-ABXY<TAK>B12<STX>M01ALH0441/JFK0540<APPLICATION TEXT><ETX>&$<DEL> (All the letters in "<>" represent either control characters or variable text.)

When this message is recieved by the datalink service provider it has to pass different control algorithms and acknowledgement criteria and has to be converted into the Ground-Ground-Message type. To look like this:

QU <USER ADDRESS>JFK0540

.DSP4350 130533

RCL

FI xx5678/AN D-ABXY

DT DSP RGS 182111 M01A

- APPLICATION TEXT <CRC>

Now the Datalink service provider can forward this message to the ground receipient. But how does the pilot know if his message got thru? This is ackomplished by sending an acknowledgement message from the DSP to the aircraft.

If the message from the aircraft is a CPDLC message it gets a whole lot more complicated because as I already said ACARS on it own is a character based message service but CPDLC is a bit oriented messages service. So CPDLC messages have to be converted into a character based message format.

I hope I showed that a proper ACARS implementation is not as trivial as it may seem. For all of you out there having questions regarding ACARS or CPDLC or even ADS feel free to ask. I'll be happy to answere your questions.

It's amazing how many of use are now aware of how much more realism an ACARS simulation would add to the sim.

Frederik

I seem to remember from ages ago during the NGX development that they were going to try and put ACARS into the NGX but that never happened..... makes me think it won't happen from PMDG for the 777.

I am not going to be so provovative.

I shall be the first to implement these services if Frederik can succeed. Let's wish him well in the limited times he has to develop this software.

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

I'm excited to see the checklists!

Yeaaah :Drooling:

Ivan Lewis

PMDG B737NGX, B777 and B747v3 QOTS II

ACARS and CPDLC are interesting areas for exploration in FSX, and there are certainly some areas where it would be downright handy. Wind aloft data, destination weather, pireps and VATSIM/IVAO integration being the most obvious examples. In the sim environment I could see the potential for it becoming a niche social network as well!

One issue, of course, is whether add-on developers like PMDG should bear the responsiblity for breaking this new ground in terms of time and cost to create the functionality and host the message traffic. Many users would probably not be that interested in ACARS, so it seems like an area where the cost/benefit equation mightn't stand up.

It strikes me that a better way to do it is to have an independent ACARS network that - say - interfaces with an app on your desktop, or via a smartphone/iPad. If such a network gets traction with enough users, then I could see how devs like PMDG might then want to facilitate that message receipt and sending to port through their SDK and into the flight deck displays.

I'll be clear, in case there is any doubt: I don't speak for PMDG on this topic AT ALL. But as a simmer, I know I would subscribe to an ACARS network if one was available that worked in the way I describe above.

Mark Adeane - NZWN
Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

There are many applications (including CPDLC, ACARS) that offer an interface via the MCDU. The MCDU is mostly just a coloured LCD screen and a keyboard. Additionally, CPDLC and ACARS need some additional connectivity to the FMC (when online) in order to retrieve and insert information as necessary.

I would suggest to PMDG that rather than implement a single protocol or application (of which there are many), it would be most useful to allow third-party applications to offer an MCDU interface and to also access FMC data.

This is not something that is new: the PS1 community have had this since the last decade (http://www.hoppie.nl/mcdu/)

An MCDU that allows other applications to register into it, and an FMC that allows data in/out, will allow third-party developers to create a variety of applications that many of the more dedicated simmers have been waiting for for years. Fully integrated ACARS systems could potentially be used by virtual airlines to create a highly realistic environment. The ability to integrate a CPDLC system will catalyse the popularity of CPDLC in online communities (at least in the South Pacific region, it will).

PMDG are most definitely a heavy-weight in this industry. There actions with regard to the topic on hand will either drive innovation or allow it to continue crawling.

You know who might be good at this? Aivlasoft. It might be easier for them after making there excellent efb. Some of the things might be similar, might be a good business for them (or anyone) make one for other planes too, and if theres an sdk of can be "built" into the actual plane, like we're talking about here.

Rgds

Lee

Sent using Tapatalk

You know who might be good at this? Aivlasoft. It might be easier for them after making there excellent efb. Some of the things might be similar, might be a good business for them (or anyone) make one for other planes too, and if theres an sdk of can be "built" into the actual plane, like we're talking about here.

Rgds

Lee

Sent using Tapatalk

Exactly, then this could be purchased by VA's, a bit like each VA purchases its own PIREP interface. Maybe IVAO or VATSIM could develop an ACARS, letting VA's use that system for their own use.  I think that if any VA or network is able to implement ACARS, not just on the T7 but on other aircraft to, it would be a game changer.

Regards

Isaac

A network exists. Making a basic client within FSX is relatively trivial.

The problematic part is elsewhere. Integrating with the addon... both getting the data required for a proper implementation and writing them back for the sim to use (WX upling, PERF uplink, etc), and also seamless integration into actual systems. EICAS notifications, enabling CDU operation...

Hi Guys!

Sound interesting. I was wondering if there really is a SDK for the T7 which devolpers can use right now. I'm thinking about the vatsim client project which looks very good and uses stuff like CPDLC.

Chris

Not right now. The SDK will be released with, or shortly after, SP1.