Sign in to follow this  
BenW

Airsimmer reborn (for me at least) - a quick review

So the robust conversation continues! I've taken a few pics to underline my points from the mini-review.

A better shot of the pools of light from the open cargo holds at night:

fsscr040.png

Cockpit lighting integrated, panel and flood

fsscr034.png

fsscr035e.png

fsscr036.png

Overhead, showing the infamous APU start switch. All the switches move.

fsscr011e.png

Engine 2 fire test - note the checklist on the ECAM

fsscr024.png

First officer's side. The seat moves and Rob added a motorised sound to it like the real thing. The windows open and the armrests fold down, as does the jumpseat behind. I do not however like the small headrest!

fsscr026.png

Departure loaded for LEIB. All the required info is contained in the TOPCAT take off and landing report. Oddly TOPCAT has given us V Speeds that are the same! Note that the THR RED altitude on this occasion is 1802 feet and ACC altitude is 3302 feet AGL. When reaching THR RED, we'll move the thrust levers to CLB (climb) and at ACC we'll retract the flaps to zero when the speed builds beyond 'S'.

fsscr046.png

Hydraulics not yet pressurised so the ailerons droop.

fsscr050.png

Rolling down 01L at Menorca. We've selected a de-rate (Flex) of 67, NAV is armed, CLB is armed, you can just about see the 1 of V1, hidden behind the pink triangle of V2 and the green circle of rotate! Quite a stiff wind at LEMH today, 15 kts on the nose. Over on the ND you can see the SID, out to 07 DME off the MHN VOR and then a left turn to track towards NEVIC. Both the MHN VOR and the MN NDB have been selected manually by me on the NAV RAD page.

fsscr057.png

Initial stage of the departure - here we've just pulled up the gear and are climbing at V2+10, around 17.5 degrees nose up.

fsscr060i.png

Second stage of the departure - thrust levers have been pulled back into the CLB gate as indicated by the FMA now telling us we're in a THRust CLimB

fsscr062.png

So we're at the top of descent. In fact we've just run a bit past it so it's time to dial down the altitude and press the alt button to do a managed descent. Note that the Airbus does not tell you to descend like your Boeing does....

fsscr073.png

The first of those Airbus descent modes - fully managed DES where the computer is doing it all and the airspeed will go up and down a bit as the FMGC tries to get us on the profile. As we're above the profile (the pink circle next to the altitude) the thrust in this instance has gone to idle. If we'd descended earlier (below) the profile then the the thrust would go to SPEED mode to give us a more shallow descent.

fsscr074.png

Doing things manually. Here's an Airbus gotcha - if you manually select a heading then the managed descent disconnects and gives you current vertical speed. This I didn't know until this week! We're now descending the old fashioned way - we're controlling the heading and vertical speed, the speed is still managed.

fsscr075.png

Unfortunately at this point I got a bit big for my boots and decided I'd try to ace a VOR approach for 06 at Ibiza instead of an ILS :P . Naturally I screwed it up and ended up going around. I'll get some more pics of the final approach segment later on. Hope the pics put my comments from the mini review into context a little better!

BenW

Great screenshots, Ben!

And nice to be able to see the ET version in action.

So the robust conversation continues!

In my view whenever words like AirSimmer, Ariane or FS9vFSX* come up, there are hot discussions. Mostly pointless, but discussion fora are to discuss, so people always will.

* Here's a great fresh example of an FSX-er 'loving' the fact that anything might be developed for FS9 too (looks like it's 'a lack of respect' for his ego)...

http://forum.aerosof...ome-for-fs2004/

Whilst I appreciate Airsimmer Adherants (how's that for clever? :lol: ) are loving their A320, I'm still going to pass until the full version is released, or at least until the major bugs are ironed out of the current version. I have incredible iFlys, perfect PMDGs, delectable Digital Aviations, lovely Level-Ds, 'mazing Maddogs and even quirky QualityWings (that one was tough) to play with before I even need to consider another complex jet, even if it is an A320.

When I get an A320, it'll be the Airsimmer. But it needs to be stable (no CTDs, no supplied variants that don't work, etc). If I buy it now, I know I'll be disappointed with it at the first CTD and never touch it again. I hope Airsimmer comes through, I'll be dancing in the A320 conga line as well. But until then, no deal.

And anyways, how come most of you don't have the DA Fokker 70 and 100, or (if PMDG are to be believed) MD-11? Both are awesome, stable non-Boeings, and in the case of the MD-11 you get an extra shove in the tail for no extra cost!

Cheers, SLuggy

how come most of you don't have the DA Fokker 70 and 100, or (if PMDG are to be believed) MD-11? Both are awesome, stable non-Boeings

I do have them both. DA F100 is one of my alltime's favourites. I have dropped it only because I converted into a 100% VC pilot.

As for the other mentioned addon, it definitely is of high quality, but somehow it did not touch my heart very much.

And, to be exact, shouldn't we believe MD-11 has been a boeing since 1997? Big%20Grin.gif

Great post! I too came back to the AirSimmer after letting it collect a lot of dust. I recently upgraded to FSX but still run FS9 purely for the AirSimmer bus. Once you learn the Airbus "gotchas" and the few remaining quirks of the AirSimmer (advanced) it really is a dreamt to fly. Rob also offered me a lot of help through the AirSimmer Forums (thanks again Rob!). If anyone has the plane and is willing to sit down and learn the differences between the Bus and Boeing, you will see that this is by far the best addon for FS9.

Ps. I am also having the brake issue using Saitek Pedals (on both my old PC and the new one). If anyone has any advice for this PLEASE let me know! The only thing that bugs me with the AS is that I have to use the trigger on the joystick to brake.

- Jordan Jafferjee -

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Asus X670-E Pro Prime | Gigabyte RTX4080 Eagle | 64G G.Skill Trident Z.5 DDR5-6000 |  Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVME | NZXT H7 | Win 11 22H2 | TM Warthog Flight Stick + Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha + Bravo | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 | Dell U3415W 

* Here's a great fresh example of an FSX-er 'loving' the fact that anything might be developed for FS9 too (looks like ti's 'a lack of respect' for his ego)...

http://forum.aerosof...ome-for-fs2004/

Sad isn't it. MK responds in a civilised, mature fashion. He has his opinion on how he wishes to run his company and that's just fine. His firm, his decision. No argument with that at all. But that last person. As 'an engineer' it's surprising that his first two statements are so factually incorrect. Hope he's not that inaccurate at work ;-)

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Hello everyone,

Maybe this is not the right forum, but i'll go ahead and risk my question:

Anytime i try to register at the Airsimmer Forum, i get (though the answer is correct) this below pictured error:

Airsimmer_Forum_Register_Error.jpg

Can somebody help me out here? @Flex1978 maybe? What am i doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Try writing the word "six" rather than using a number. If that doesn't work, the forum is dead.

DJ