Sign in to follow this  
CarlosF

Beta 10.10 is out!

670 works great for me...and it can do surround on one card...the new feature of the 6xx series nvidias...and I'm getting 60-80fps in rural and 30-40fps near JFK/LAX/SFO/SEA with the settings I posted on the Holy Clouds thread...

4.8gHz i5 2500k with 8GB DDR 3 2000mHz RAM and the Asus GTX 670 DirectCU II (great cooling and overclockability) are rocking the house with every game I have. I went from 2x 9800GTX to 1 670GTX and am VERY happy at the performance and cost. Oh, and my case runs MUCH better without the bottom card driving it's heat directly into the intake fan of the top card.

You can also get nvidia surround on the gtx 680 which is probably cheaper than the dual gpu 590. The 680 only has 2GB ram and the ATI cards start to pull away from the nvidia card when it comes to triple screens, quite possible because of the 3GB ram they have.

On the other hand it seems that xplane performs better on nvidia at the moment.

If you haven't seen my thread here http://forum.avsim.n...cs-performance/ you can get an indication of what xplane can do on an ati 7970 with 4x 1920x1080 screens.

Hey Jason- thanks for the information. I'm still undecided on the Vid card and I know where you are coming from when you say, X plane 10 seems to work best with GTX cards - I wondered if this was mainly due to the way the GTX performs with OPENGL compared to the ATI cards and how they deal with it. Although, I wonder how the 7900 series would do with it? Comparible? I'll check out that link you sent over. Thanks man.

Rob

Warm regards.

670 works great for me...and it can do surround on one card...the new feature of the 6xx series nvidias...and I'm getting 60-80fps in rural and 30-40fps near JFK/LAX/SFO/SEA with the settings I posted on the Holy Clouds thread...

4.8gHz i5 2500k with 8GB DDR 3 2000mHz RAM and the Asus GTX 670 DirectCU II (great cooling and overclockability) are rocking the house with every game I have. I went from 2x 9800GTX to 1 670GTX and am VERY happy at the performance and cost. Oh, and my case runs MUCH better without the bottom card driving it's heat directly into the intake fan of the top card.

Thanks for the info - this will be very helpful in me making a decision LOL -- There are so many options, as we all know in computer land - how do we decide? We see what the other guy is using and he tells us if it's any good or not LOL

I noticed all of the videos I've seen of x plane 10 that are using GTX 580's all look extremely good. I want that look, but I want the THREE SCREENS - so, I wonder if I have no choice but to go GTX 670

How do you hook up three monitors to it though?

Thanks

Rob

It has a DVI-D, DVI-S and HDMI outputs with a Display Port..so you can hook up 3 HDMI (DVI-D and DVI-S can use DVI->HDMI adapters) or 3 DVI (DVI-D, DVI-S and DisplayPort->DVI adapter) depending on your setup. Analog isn't possible with any of the options. ATI and nVidia require 3 DIGITAL outputs with same resolution and refresh rates shared among the displays (they CAN be different sizes, but the computer will utilize them as if they were all the same size - the resolution being the same).

I took the 670 due to funds and capability. The 680 would have been my next best bet, but couldn't justify the expense for my needs. BF3 and XP10 and FSX are the only major things I do on my computer and FSX did well on my 9800GTX as it was the CPU that made FSX go well or die quickly. XP10 and BF3, though, all I can say is DAMN glad I got the upgrade. The boss allowed me to spend it and I paid her back by doing the laundry and dishes for a month, but it was SO worth it.

Hey Jason- thanks for the information. I'm still undecided on the Vid card and I know where you are coming from when you say, X plane 10 seems to work best with GTX cards - I wondered if this was mainly due to the way the GTX performs with OPENGL compared to the ATI cards and how they deal with it. Although, I wonder how the 7900 series would do with it? Comparible? I'll check out that link you sent over. Thanks man.

Rob

Warm regards.

Thanks for the info - this will be very helpful in me making a decision LOL -- There are so many options, as we all know in computer land - how do we decide? We see what the other guy is using and he tells us if it's any good or not LOL

I noticed all of the videos I've seen of x plane 10 that are using GTX 580's all look extremely good. I want that look, but I want the THREE SCREENS - so, I wonder if I have no choice but to go GTX 670

How do you hook up three monitors to it though?

Thanks

Rob

It could be hard to tell on youtube any differences. Nvidia to seem to have better opengl drivers in general than ATI but it comes down to how well it performs anyway.

On my 8 megapixel screen I was getting around 30+ up to around 60 with some altitude. That I think is good no matter ATI or nvidia. So in some ways I think it is a bit of a moot point, choose on features whichever maker that leads you to. Either will perform I think.

I am using the 7970 on mine and it works well in all my sims. I have to say that going from 2gb to 3 gb did improve my framerates, at least on DCS which I use most of the time.

ATI and nVidia require 3 DIGITAL outputs with same resolution and refresh rates shared among the displays (they CAN be different sizes, but the computer will utilize them as if they were all the same size - the resolution being the same).

Only if you are talking about an eyefinity configuration on the ATI side of things. On my video above I am happyily running the five monitors with different resolutions 1920x1080 and 1080x1920 and 640x480. You cant see the 5th in the video though.

Edit: actually, to be correct, only when setting up an eyefinity 'group' must you match resolution. The game doesnt care though and will stretch itself across any screen configuration with mixed monitors/resolutions.

Night Approach - 20FPS - 10.10 5r1 - not moving from ###### version just yet. Actual Captain of an airline told me i did a real nice flare LOL

(Video removed to reduce load)

Nice landing. :D

Sadly, both of those videos exemplify why I can't bring myself to get either the Airbus or the 737-800 right now. Jumpseat view. It drives me up the wall. Now, if I had a monitor big enough to display the flight deck to scale, I might be able to get my brain to accept it by sitting on the left side, but...

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Sadly, both of those videos exemplify why I can't bring myself to get either the Airbus or the 737-800 right now. Jumpseat view. It drives me up the wall. Now, if I had a monitor big enough to display the flight deck to scale, I might be able to get my brain to accept it by sitting on the left side, but...

Yeah, those were great landings! God, landing in those conditions, instruments only, you don't need much more adrenaline! a great weight loss program!

I'm posting a test vid soon of my 10.10 b3 results, weird fps fluctuations but I'm getting up to 25 fps in the 747 HDR ON!! Wish it was consistent, so I'll log a bug report. there's something going on with the pipeline I think.

Thanks for the kind words :) Someone asked me for a tutorial on ILS Cat III - will have to do that sometime soon :)

Yeah, those were great landings! God, landing in those conditions, instruments only, you don't need much more adrenaline! a great weight loss program!

I'm posting a test vid soon of my 10.10 b3 results, weird fps fluctuations but I'm getting up to 25 fps in the 747 HDR ON!! Wish it was consistent, so I'll log a bug report. there's something going on with the pipeline I think.

Appreciate the kind words :) -- Yes, easy to imagine how that would feel seeing nothing and then the runway at 20Ft LOL

Hey guys!

I just wanted to say how happy I am that I'm on this forum around you kind, intellectual people. I think it's great that we can all help eachother out!

Glad I joined up!

Hope to chat with you all sometime, as time passes.

Sincerely,

Robdrums