Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

FSX in surround: Mouse flickering

Hi all. Im having the most irritating problem with a good few of my aircrafts after installing my new GTX690 card and setting it up in a 5760 x 1080 surround view (3x 24"). The NGX works perfectly though. After searching through various forums, Ive learned im not the only one with this problem:

Mouse flickers constantly, and eventually leading to fsx crash to desktop.

However, mostly Ive only read about people experiencing this when using 2d panels. As far as I can tell, all the solutions presented so far involve changing the window size of the 2d panels in the panel.cfg of all the aircrafts you want to fly (that have this problem, obviously). I am not using any 2d panels, and I only use the VC in all the planes. I havent had any success with any of the solutions so far :( It might be that Im missing something, or misunderstanding.

The planes affected so far are: PMDG 747-400 and the 747-8I/F, and FSL Concorde X. I havent checked any other addons yet, except of course, the PMDG NGX (all working fine).

I am also using EZDOC (just in case its known to affect anything through making some sort of modification to the panel.cfgs (I have no clue).

Please help if you can :)

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

I have posted solutions for the Panel problem. I take it you do not call for panels, such as the CDU and Overhead, when you fly in VC, so that is not the cause of the flickering.

Whilst I do not know the solution to your particular problem, I can tell you that the flickering cursor is telling you that it can't complete an instruction. Your question is - what instruction?

Regards

Frank Jones

Jonahbird, I was hoping you would respond :) I have read your other thread on the matter, and as you say, I do not call for 2d panels at any time during my sim. The mouse flicker starts the very second I have loaded my aircraft. I cant really notice a particular fps drop, but unfortunately I get an OOM message after some time (only with the aircrafts I get flicker). I have 12gb of ram, and 4gb video ram.

Andreas Stangenes

Is that any aircraft, including the defaults. For example, does it happen when you select the Cessna172?

From your opening post it would appear to be happening only when certain add-ons are selected. Is that so?

Regards

Frank Jones

I've had a spate of mouse flickering recently, I run in VC mode mostly, and like all FSX problems, there's a million suggestion that work for some, not others, most likely due to the gazillion of pc/hardware/software combinations. But one thing that's worked for me with 100% success recently, over many different aircraft types, is to simply select the change aircraft menu, re select the same aircraft I'm currently running, and the crazy egg timer disappears, and frame rates double again.

The only downside, is if you're running a complex sim like iFly, you'll lose all your CDU data, unless you save and re-import, something I've not had a huge amount of success with. For simpler types, you're back in business straight away.

Worth a punt, you never know...

When you installed the GTX690 did you download and install the latest drivers?

Regards

Frank Jones

I've had a spate of mouse flickering recently, I run in VC mode mostly, and like all FSX problems, there's a million suggestion that work for some, not others, most likely due to the gazillion of pc/hardware/software combinations. But one thing that's worked for me with 100% success recently, over many different aircraft types, is to simply select the change aircraft menu, re select the same aircraft I'm currently running, and the crazy egg timer disappears, and frame rates double again.

The only downside, is if you're running a complex sim like iFly, you'll lose all your CDU data, unless you save and re-import, something I've not had a huge amount of success with. For simpler types, you're back in business straight away.

Worth a punt, you never know...

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried reloading the aircraft (selecting it again in the aircraft select menu when inside the aircraft VC), but it didnt help :(

When you installed the GTX690 did you download and install the latest drivers?

Yes indeed I did

Andreas Stangenes

Oh and Id like to say again that the PMDG NGX works just fine. I have no problems at all running it in surround.

Did another test with the 747-400F, and even though I changed the FSX resolution to 1920x1080, it still did the mouse flicker even on just one screen...

Andreas Stangenes

That seems to point to the card as the culprit. Just a wild one - have you checked that it is seated properly?

If it is, I would suspect that it is faulty.

Regards

Frank Jones

Hmm You might be correct on that, Jonah, however, I feel I have some evidence pointing in other directions than the card being faulty.

1. NGX is working perfectly

2. So is the Airbus X

3. I have no problems with various games I play (playing them now at 5760x1080).

4. Alot of people seem to have problems with mouse flickering with the old queen (747), albeit many seem to be flying with 2d panels

Before jumping to the conclusion that my card is faulty, I feel the need to investigate further. I was hoping you knew something about it, Jonah. In that old thread from last year, you mentioned that you yourself only fly in the VC, and that you therefor only had to change the panel.cfg for the vc. You kinda lost me on that point, because you also mentioned that there are 4 panel.cfg that have to be modified for the 747-400 to work.

The thread was kinda hard to read because of the layout as well. When you listed the entries in the cfg the individual lines werent really separated, but several entries were listed in a single line.

Are you fed up, or would you mind sheding some more light on it for me? =)

Andreas Stangenes

"Fed up"? No - at my age, I have plenty of time (or, do I?) and enjoy a mystery. I am just not sure that yours is the same as the problem I resolved and recorded in earlier posts.

I remember one was garbled, because I tried to copy the wording from my file. The layout went awry making it hard to understand.

Can you tell me which of my posts it was, and I will try to reproduce it again? I will type it in, if necessary.

Regards

Frank Jones

Jonah, I was wondering if perhaps you could possibly send me your panel.cfg? I also notice I have one folder called panel.vc. Do I need to modify anything in that? Ill pm you my email adress.

Oh and the old thread (from feb 2011) is found here:

http://forum.avsim.n...__fromsearch__1

I have problems reading and understanding these posts:

No. 3: The layout of the text makes it hard to understand what goes where...

No. 11:

Glad to have been of help - so far!The answer is - No. To fully control the size and position of a panel you only have to add the lines "window_size= x.xxx, x.xxx" and "window_pos= x.xxx, x.xxx" - note the spaces. They will override any other instruction in that section of the panelcfg. If those lines are already present you simply have to amend as appropriate. I don't recommend altering or removing any other lines.If your Mustang is still not doing what you want I wonder if there are two panelcfgs. My favourite aircraft PMDG's 747-400X (hence the example I quote) has 4 panel configs and each must be amended if you want to use them all. I don't bother with the 2D panels, as I always fly VC so I only amend those.RegardsFrank

Underlined text: Do I add the size and position variables to ALL portion code (also at window 00 (the dummy))?

Red text: You say there are four panel.cfgs. Do you mean 1 in the panel folder, and one in the panel.vc folder for the F and pax versions?

I also have a filed called panel.XGaugeWizard.cfg in all those folders (should I ammend all 8 then?).

No. 16:

Probably doesnt apply to me since I dont have a Carenado aircraft.

No. 35:

Hi RobIn view of our time difference, I am assuming that these 3 amendments are all that you need. Let me know if you want any others.Each version has 2 panel.cfg files. Amend all 4 as follows (by copy/paste):under [window 12] Overhead Panelsdelete 'position=0'.add these lines after 'zorder=30':window_size=0.300,0.950 //Rob modwindow_pos=0.350,0.000 //Rob modunder [window 30] FWD Pedestal Panelsposition=8 is OKadd this line after 'zorder=11':window_size=0.150,0.500 //Rob modunder [window 34] CDUchange 'position=8' to 'position=6'that will bring it up on the left of the 3 screens.add this line after 'zorder=40':window_size=0.150,0.950 //Rob modThe references to 'Rob mod' is so that you can see which are your amendments,should you wish to work on the file again.Hope this helpsFrank

This post is in regard to the MD-11 I think. I also have a problem with that aircraft (however, Im very happy just to get the 747 flying again!). In this post it seems that you recommend just altering a few portion codes instead of all portions (see post #11 and my question). It confuses me; do I alter all or just some?

Andreas Stangenes

Wild guess, go to ctrl pnl -> hardware & sound -> mouse -> pointer options and untick "Display pointer trails".

Cheers!