Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lateagain

Whilst we impatiently wait for any news.

As a Brit I share some of our Dutch (got a first name we can use?) friends concerns. Compared to the PNW or even NZ the UK has a massive amount of cultivated land that does look like "Landclass". Don't shoot the messenger! Look at Google earth or Virtual earth and you'll see he's quite right. It does have some interesting regions and the issue will be whether ORBX can produce a subtle enough mesh and textures to make those recognisable? The mix between Urban and Countryside is extremely intense and the challenge will be for them to produce something that is better for us VFR pilots. At Airbus and 737 altitudes the existing Photoreal with some key airport add-ons (already available) are probably OK. Take it down to 3000' (and a lot ot the UK is controlled airspace much above that) and you've got to come up with something special to really be able to fly visually? Add to that the prevailing low cloud and haze from urbanisation and it's going to have to be very good.

Boring? Well done well we have a good few challenging locations and fields! Loads of controlled airspace with very active commercial traffic ...and VERY changeable weather.

In my experience most PMDG jockeys need not apply! just set your cloud base at 2000' and buy some of the existing airport add-ons. That's you lot sorted :lol: ?

Geoff

PS I'd like a more detailed criticism of the freeware photoreal scenery for Holland? Apart from the limitations of photoreal ANYWHERE, are there other specific issues?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Im quite excited for Orbx UK but i do hold back because i dont know how its going to look when i fly above my home, will they have my street, will they have the hill i live on as fsx does not and the 4m horizon genx v2 mesh has it as a slight slope. The UK is pretty flat but when everything looks the same how do you navigate when all you see out the windows is farm land and small villages ( when you turn the gps off ). :)

I hope the do a good job of Bournemouth and Poole :)

I also hope they add the abandon/dug up ww2 airfields like this one instead of some random ground texture.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=50.804796,+-1.503546&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&ie=UTF8&z=15&iwloc=A

I hope it shows for you

Latest news for any unable to log in (?) or can I take it that silliness is resolved now? Anyone here STILL banned?

We try to feature at least one photoreal city area in our newer major regions (like Seattle, Auckland, and freeware releases like Portland), but in this instance we are determined to release FTX England by October/November so we may defer a photoreal London (1 mile each side of the Thames) for a service pack. JV

So probably December? "I love deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they flash by!" B)

I was hoping the "joint announcment" mentioned previously would entail some use of photoreal textures enhanced by custom 3-D autogen ...with trees of course! This seems(?) to dash that idea? :unsure:

Also as a Londoner I'd have to say that a mile either side of the Thames would look odd! In fact VERY odd in view of it's winding course. It might excite FSX chopper pilots who'd travel over the Thames in real life ...but would look very odd otherwise. In reality VFR pilots around London outside of the TCA's are restricted to 2500' anyway. The FSX London TCA is ...er...rubbish and nought like the real thing. There's already a London VFR package out there that covers a slightly more useful area but even that is limited :huh: .

We'll have to wait for some screenshots.

Geoff

As an Essex boy I should be gagging for this release. Apart from Alice Springs (didn't buy it, have you seen where it is?!) and I was a bit slow with NZNI, I've jumped on everything else Orbx. This time I'll be watching for screen shots, screen shots and more screen shots. I got burned with GenerationX. All twelve DVDs sit on my bookshelf...unloved.

As an Essex boy I should be gagging for this release.

SNAP! From Ilford originally Ron. I'm particulalry interestead in how they'll handle the salt marshes and mud at low tide around Maldon, The Crouch, Mersea Island, Walton and the Naze? Hope they do some decent low tide textures (as they have in one of the PNW airfields and also in the excellent Plumb Island - the latter not by orbx) as these are very atmospheric.

or can I take it that silliness is resolved now? Anyone here STILL banned?

No nothings changed, just logged in just to see, but no, they spent hours/days setting up the forums and new forums rules just for us, it always makes me lol becasue you can see just about everything as a guest, but log in and all gone, just 2 forums viewable, so I don't think it will ever change, lets just leave it at that :lol: its all way in the past Geoff.

O BTW for your info.

I had a PM who showed that Orbx is registered in Victoria AUS and there law is that they have to give support to paying customers. Interesting!

Like I said all way in the past. who cares!

(got a first name we can use?)

Yes, it's underneath my signature picture. :wink: In case you have signature's disabled: it's Jeroen!

I am glad at last someone understands my er... concerns. :wink:

PS I'd like a more detailed criticism of the freeware photoreal scenery for Holland? Apart from the limitations of photoreal ANYWHERE, are there other specific issues?

Since it is totally free (and since it uses a great installer) I don't mean to bash the product but there simply are too many inconcistensies when it comes to quality and color. Some parts of Holland look pretty real (with 3D objects off because they stick out awfully) bit some regions look really utterly afwul... It's almost amazing how many various sources apparently had to be used for such a small country. :wink: It's almost impossible to even do a short flight without passing some regions that I'd rather skip.

Again, it's free and I appreciate the effort but I'd like to see a professional version. Something like Earth Simulation's Shawbury... :wink: (which I don't own because I don't (anymore) buy scenery that you can fly over within a few minutes.)

Then again... I don't even mind of no one does the Netherlands: I'd rather have someone giving Norway some proper treatment!

Then again... I don't even mind of no one does the Netherlands: I'd rather have someone giving Norway some proper treatment!

Yes would also like Norway to be given a proper treatment, as there isn't any good scenery made for it yet except 3 airports done by aerosoft and some freeware available. But I guess we are such a small country with too few simmers that no one sees a market here. Also It Is a FPS friendly area in FSX because it's scarcely populated so not much autogen houses and big cities

I Hope someday Orbx will see the potential.

Anyone here STILL banned?

Maybe that's my problem! When I log on to the official site the public forums disappear and I am left with a screen showing who is on line but does not show any forums which is very frustrating. I do not appear to be able to contact any forum moderators and had really given up until I read your posting. How can I resolve this situation?

Well I'm surprised nobody has commented on this from the man himself!

In response to request for info or screenshots on the UK on the OFFICIAL ORBX Forum.

I have to say I'm intrigued by the "Joint Announcement".

The Earth Simulations Alderney I have is about as close to a mix of ORBX and Photoreal as you can get. If that's what they've done for the Mainland it should be impressive?

I do have concerns that with so many "recognisable" architectural features packed so densely into such a small geographic area that they are that close to release. Too much generic autogen could really spoil it? Against that it has to run in the Sim and not slow things down too much?

Pure conjecture till we see some shots and a video.

Geoff

Here's one of Earth Simulations Alderney

For those of you who haven't seen any of Earth Simulations stuff before this project is the closest thing to ORBX. Read the blurb and check out the screengrabs.

http://earthsimulati...ury-fields.html

There is a ton of images and comments in the Avsim review of EarthSimulations here. http://www.avsim.com...rthSim/VFR.html Be sure to check out the 5 seasons - ES was the first group to do seasons - FTX-Orbx came along later with their seasons.

Ray

ES was the first group to do seasons - FTX-Orbx came along later with their seasons.
Are we sure about that, Ray?

Are we sure about that, Ray?

Absolutely, without doubt. The dates are near the end of the review. It was question #3 for the sim pilot quiz.

Ray

From your review (in turn from the Earth Simulations site)

4/6/2009
ES was the first group to do seasons - FTX-Orbx came along later with their seasons

Perhaps five seasons in resampled photoscenery was what you meant when you wrote the review? Not the first with seasons (photoscenery, or landclass based)

FTX Au was released well before this. Not with five seasons (there is no Hard Winter in Aus) The seasons vary by region, depending on need.

A post from 2008

http://www.orbxsyste...ge__hl__seasons

My own FREEWARE scenery (complete with photoreal scenery and seasons!) from December 2008 !!

http://aussiex.org/f...d-maitland-nsw/

Not to mention YSTW and other releases.

It may seem churlish, but I do like substantiated facts, particularly if they are being given undue emphasis.

Hate to say it guys because seasons are all over the place here for the last few years, both in onset, finish and the type of weather we've had. Don't think the seasons neatly divided into 4 will be very realistic and the weather has varied unseasonally in any given season too. We need more than 5. We need 16! 4 Seasons with a choice of four "seasonal" weather types for each of the four seasons! :huh: ...and varying from Bright and Sunny to bare minimums within 50 miles. :lol:

Geoff

Well the wait is almost over? ....reportedly. First Preview shots of a UK field due this week according to the Official forum. Assuming that we're talking UK time it's Friday morning now so "This week" means within the next 40 hours.

As the old joke goes "I LOVE deadlines! I love the whooshing sound they make as they fly past....." :lol:

I'll happily eat my words B)

Geoff

From your review (in turn from the Earth Simulations site)

[/i]

Perhaps five seasons in resampled photoscenery was what you meant when you wrote the review? Not the first with seasons (photoscenery, or landclass based)

FTX Au was released well before this. Not with five seasons (there is no Hard Winter in Aus) The seasons vary by region, depending on need.

A post from 2008

http://www.orbxsyste...ge__hl__seasons

My own FREEWARE scenery (complete with photoreal scenery and seasons!) from December 2008 !!

http://aussiex.org/f...d-maitland-nsw/

Not to mention YSTW and other releases.

It may seem churlish, but I do like substantiated facts, particularly if they are being given undue emphasis.

Yep, crystal clear. Here is a snapshot from the ES website - no one confused about dates or wording or splitting hairs there. They developed it and brought it to market and simply failed to protect it properly (evidently)

Ray

cant protect seasons its part of the fsx sdk not something new

any default MS photoscenery (maybe anchorage ? ) will have all seasons and snow

With respect the more important issue just raised over there but not fully answered in some respects is how the FTX UK stuff will co-exist with pre existing European sceneries of ALL types.

FTX are reportedly working with ES to ensure compatability but there's still some testing reportedly in progress with other pre existing sceneries. Even us GA Low 'n Slow types will want to head across the Channel, North Sea or Irish Sea, just as our real world GA pilots do. Until FTX covers that we'll need compatability?

Trouble is that each question raised seems a bit like walking on egg-shells? One of my threads already locked because someone brought up the UK photoreal stuff. It's their forum but obviously customers have invested in other publishers products and want to know about compatability and conflicts.

The trouble with forums is that info gets lost in many threads. IMHO they need to "Pin" a topic about compatability so that folk can see what they're testing abd add any that they have concerns about. Hardly dare suggest it after my thread got locked though. :unsure: :huh:

Geoff.

Well I'm surprised nobody has commented on this from the man himself!

In response to request for info or screenshots on the UK on the OFFICIAL ORBX Forum.

I have to say I'm intrigued by the "Joint Announcement".

The Earth Simulations Alderney I have is about as close to a mix of ORBX and Photoreal as you can get. If that's what they've done for the Mainland it should be impressive?

I do have concerns that with so many "recognisable" architectural features packed so densely into such a small geographic area that they are that close to release. Too much generic autogen could really spoil it? Against that it has to run in the Sim and not slow things down too much?

Pure conjecture till we see some shots and a video.

Geoff

Here's one of Earth Simulations Alderney

For those of you who haven't seen any of Earth Simulations stuff before this project is the closest thing to ORBX. Read the blurb and check out the screengrabs.

http://earthsimulati...ury-fields.html

I was nagging a bit about the ES compitability with orbx at the Orbx forum.

And I think John Venema(Orbx CEO) got a bit tired of it emoticon-0102-bigsmile.gif and stated this:

"Darren has written a simple tool called ESMerge which we'll be using to allow both FTX England and ES sceneries to be active concurrently, so there won't be an issue."

But he also said that this is only for the ES standalone products like "Channel Islands" and "Isles of Scilly"

qoute from John:

"FTX is not compatible with Horizon VFR photoreal at all within a region, just in the same way as it's not compatible with GEX or UTX or MegaScenery Earth etc. To clarify, any FTX region in the UK (say, England) will be displayed over the top of any photoreal product you already have installed. However until we release Wales, Scotland etc, you could in theory have FTX England installed and when you cross the boundary to Scotland you could continue to use Horizon's photoreal product.

ES sceneries are stand-alone photoreal + autogen islands in the English Channel and as such you can run them concurrently with FTX England as long as you place them higher in the scenery library priority within FSX, although I believe that Holger set the boundary of the England region to not include the channel islands so you may not need to fiddle with the scenery library at all. We will be testing this over the coming weeks and the user guide will include full instructions about how to make ES co-exist."

With respect the more important issue just raised over there but not fully answered in some respects is how the FTX UK stuff will co-exist with pre existing European sceneries of ALL types.

FTX are reportedly working with ES to ensure compatability but there's still some testing reportedly in progress with other pre existing sceneries. Even us GA Low 'n Slow types will want to head across the Channel, North Sea or Irish Sea, just as our real world GA pilots do. Until FTX covers that we'll need compatability?

Trouble is that each question raised seems a bit like walking on egg-shells? One of my threads already locked because someone brought up the UK photoreal stuff. It's their forum but obviously customers have invested in other publishers products and want to know about compatability and conflicts.

The trouble with forums is that info gets lost in many threads. IMHO they need to "Pin" a topic about compatability so that folk can see what they're testing abd add any that they have concerns about. Hardly dare suggest it after my thread got locked though. :unsure: :huh:

Geoff.

I think it's a warm welcome that Orbx doing UK because there isn't any good landclass alternative. And by compitabilety with Horozon why should they, what they do Its a complete different type of scenery and I can't see how those too could coexist, should orbx just place autogen trees and houses on top of that photo scenery? I personally don't like the uk photosceney because i dont think it look good while flying 100 feet of the ground. And for those who like Horizon photoreal why dont stick with it why do you need Orbx?

But what ES have done to the channel island is superb, look good even 100 feet of the ground and have autogen and trees, so I see why they have included compitabilty with it. No need to reinventing the wheel as John Venema said.

Well unless I totally miss the point what is needed is for FTX to ensure that when you fly out of their scenery coverage ANY other scenery you have installed is seamlessly available. Not just UK specific competitors. I'm not sure what

"as it's not compatible with GEX or UTX or MegaScenery Earth etc"

....means if in the next sentence he says...

"However until we release Wales, Scotland etc, you could in theory have FTX England installed and when you cross the boundary to Scotland you could continue to use Horizon's photoreal product."

....so why would that not be true of the previously mentioned sceneries? When you fly out of the NA ORBX sceneries there's a seamless transition to whatever you have installed for FSX or the US generally isn't there?

Rather thah clarify the issue this seems to confuse the issue to me ...but maybe that's me being thick! Surely it's about priorities in the scenery heirarchy whatever you have installed? Mind you there is of course the issue of the FTX "Region selection tool" and I'm assuming this will start showing a UK ...and later Europe Region alongside Oceania and North America?

I'm sure they will work to achieve this but a simple thread where folk can "heads up" any add-on they have already would surely help FTX's developers. It would also reassure potential buyers? Just seems to me that consultation at this stage of development will save grief and patching closer to, or after release?

Still we'll see soon enough I guess.

Geoff

IMHO they need to "Pin" a topic about compatability so that folk can see what they're testing abd add any that they have concerns about. Hardly dare suggest it after my thread got locked though. :unsure: :huh:

Geoff.

They also have a forum section dedicated about compatability so I don't see the problem. I think they are very fair when it comes to asking about compability but UK hasn't been realised yet so I see why quiestins being raised about compability can be hard to answer and when threads getting out of hand, and people start to promote other companys products I fully understand their decision to lock it.

They also have a forum section dedicated about compatability so I don't see the problem

Fair comment, but that is "Reactive" as opposed to "Proactive"?

Geoff

PS I studied design at College and we were always taught to exhaustively research whether our design solutions addressed ALL aspects of the brief/problem. This was stage ONE before you strated creating anything. 44 years later it's pretty obvious to me that some "designers" of just about anything never grasped that lesson! B)

Well unless I totally miss the point what is needed is for FTX to ensure that when you fly out of their scenery coverage ANY other scenery you have installed is seamlessly available. Not just UK specific competitors. I'm not sure what

"as it's not compatible with GEX or UTX or MegaScenery Earth etc"

....means if in the next sentence he says...

"However until we release Wales, Scotland etc, you could in theory have FTX England installed and when you cross the boundary to Scotland you could continue to use Horizon's photoreal product."

....so why would that not be true of the previously mentioned sceneries? When you fly out of the NA ORBX sceneries there's a seamless transition to whatever you have installed for FSX or the US generally isn't there?

When you have Orbx activated in FTX Central it will always put itself on the top of the scenery you have in the same coverage area, but I think when you fly out of the bounderies of their coverage you will see whatever else you have installed.

I.E if you have UTX in America you will only see the UTX scenery when you fly out of the FTX regions, whitout switching FTX Central, atleast what I have heard by people who has those scenerys and they can coexist whithout problems, but you won't see UTX scenery when inside the FTX region. I think Its what he means buy saying those things.

But I'm not 100% sure about this, maybe start a thread in their FTX compitabily forum?

Here is an example quoted from Holger Sandman:

"Orbx's FTX North American series (PNW, PFJ, NRM) overlaps parts of UTX USA and UTX Canada making the UTX components redundant. However, FTX is coded so that local exclude files will suppress the display of UTX features within the coverage area while leaving UTX completely undisturbed outside the FTX coverage areas. In short FTX and UTX are fully compatible out of the box ..."