Sign in to follow this  
Emile

Baron 58 so slow, how to inscrease performances?

Hello,

On my system this aircraft is very slow .

How to increase performances?

Thanks in advance.

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Set throttle and propeller to max, mixture according to altitude, retract flaps and gear.

Other than that - use a different aircraft!

For a splitsecond, I was wondering if you meant slow in the meaning of fps or just groundspeed. :mellow:

How fast are you going currently and what would you like to see on the speeds? For developing the max potential of the Baron in use, check the tips from ti above. Being a light twin, she isn't that slow but the turbine planes of course beat her. So the King Air (when sticking to the default FSX aircraft) will be faster for example. B)

Hello,

Sorry, I find it slow regarding to ground speed .

The speed is 150 knots..

The ref information says : Never Exceed Speed 223 KIAS

Thanks for the answers

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

point the nose down, Then you'll go faster.

Jack Cannon

^_^ Jack isn't too far off since the speed value you are looking at is the one not to be exceeded in a 'dive' for example. You won't see the Baron speeding up to those IAS levels with just the engine power and in straight and level flight.

I'm sure you are aware that the indicated airspeed IAS (the one on the airspeed indicator in the VC) decreases with altitude. So your groundspeed will increase while your needle would show some decrease. The air gets thinner, that's the rough and short explanation.

As a rough guide, the Wikipedia page lists some typical cruise speed for the Baron. http://en.wikipedia....eechcraft_Baron Some 180 kts (GS) TAS, which sounds realistic to me. Wanna go faster? Need another plane or a turbine conversion of the Baron. No such thing in FSX, but in real life. B)

A fast way to fly a twin in FSX is the nice Realair Beech Duke B60. That one can go pretty high and the turbocharged engines allow for some power at altitude. There also is a turbine version out which goes some 250 - 300 kts (GS) TAS at altitude. :o

On the default planes, the FSX King Air is a fast prop. Keep in mind that all the turbine things need rather high flight levels to allow for their fast cruising speed. You could also fly small jets like the Cessna Citation or some L-39.

Well, there isn't a lack of planes in FSX. So perhaps state what you want and we look up some suggestions for you. The Baron won't get faster I guess. :mellow:

Wikipedia says Baron 58 cruises 200 kts @ 8000ft. What you must know is that 200 kts is true air speed (KTAS), and NOT what you see in the cockpit. As you get higher, in a piston, the indicated air speed will bleed off... You can either calculate your TAS or check on the GPS to see the ground speed (true airspeed factoring in winds aloft).

When you say 150 kts... is that what you read off the GPS, or the airspeed indicator? And what altitude and what was the weather like?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks for posting, Ryan. Just found an error of mine, speaking of GS instead of TAS. Would be no error in zero winds, but still not correct.

Don't think he's taking in to account a wind component. 223 kias with a 50 knt headwind would be 170 knt GS. The 223 is max kias usually only achieved in descent. You want to go faster? You could turbocharge the Baron or better yet. Get a FASTER airplane!

I heard the Concorde was pretty good in the cruise portion. :wub:

I heard the Concorde was pretty good in the cruise portion. :wub:

Wonderful! :-)

Scott

Don't think he's taking in to account a wind component. 223 kias with a 50 knt headwind would be 170 knt GS. The 223 is max kias usually only achieved in descent. You want to go faster? You could turbocharge the Baron or better yet. Get a FASTER airplane!

I would rather say 223 kts TAS (true air speed) with a 50 kts head wind would be 173 kts GS.

To the OP. See? Faster plane gives a faster cruise speed. Here's the piston Duke, acting as an example. :smile:

speedon.jpg

I'm situated flying in an angle towards the DME station. That's the Prague VOR and I'm flying to the North of it, but passing by.