Sign in to follow this  
turner112

RXP: have to reinstall too frequently

Posted this in the unofficial forum too, but I am getting tired of this situtation:

every time I wait a few days between simming, I have to reinstall ALL my RXP stuff (FLN, FLT, 430, 530).

What this means, basically, is that I can't use my sim without dedicating time to reinstalling everything frequently.

I believe RXP needs to re-examine their install model (if they're around any more), as this is creating a situation in which I may have a short amount of time to get on the sim but cannot.

In the mean time, can anyone offer any help/suggestions?

thanks,

Andrew

Hello

Now there are two of us, but I have never heard of anyone else with this issue.

The pattern here is:

I load an aircraft that uses a RealityXP GPS and it works fine, but the next time I load it the GPS will not switch on.

It could be the same day, next week or a month later, doesn't matter.

Only a reinstall gets the gauge working again, and the pattern begins again.

I am starting to wonder if it is worth the trouble continuing with the RXP stuff

I'd like to know what's going on with this myself. I've been thinking about getting the 530.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

AND .... they're gone again.

Sigh. No answer from RXP either. I guess they've closed up shop.

[edit] just contacted Flight1 and I am also getting some suggestions from a user in another forum.

The culprit may be that antivirus software is interfering, but as I've noted there, I bought the software ($$$), I should not be subject to a software policing routine that is so fragile as to render the software unusable.

I have now spent hours re-installing the same thing over and over. Not right.

The culprit may be that antivirus software is interfering, but as I've noted there, I bought the software ($$$), I should not be subject to a software policing routine that is so fragile as to render the software unusable.

Take a look at your antivirus logs and see if it quarantined anything related to the RXP.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

AND .... they're gone again.

Sigh. No answer from RXP either. I guess they've closed up shop.

[edit] just contacted Flight1 and I am also getting some suggestions from a user in another forum.

I have now spent hours re-installing the same thing over and over. Not right.

Are you having trouble with only the RXP Garmin 530 or 430? The WinXP versions? Or, with any of the other RXP gauges?

As was explained to me in a Flight1 forum exchange with Jean-Luc some years ago (if I still remember any of this correctly) the 430 and 530 can cause issues with some anti-virus programs because the RXP 430 and 530 actually use the very old Garmin Trainer programs to display the map and do the navigation - it does not use the MS gps module. The oldest Garmin Trainers are low-level 16-bit programs that some anti-virus programs are suspicious of or do not co-exist well with for some reason. When I used those RXP gauges, I had to temporarily disable the AV. That was a while ago ... WinXP and I dont remember the AV program, but Jean-Luc said that he favored nod32 which at the time was freeware as I recall. You using the 16-bit Trainer by any chance?

Anyway ... any true computer experts reading this?... please jump in here and set me straight as far as this explanation goes... I am sure I have some of the detail wrong.

Maybe this is the reason you have trouble with the RXP gauges?... I dunno... Other than that, I remember that the RXP gauges added a lot of their own .dll files and config setting files and if those are compromised/edited/moved... you might end up with a non-functioning gauge. Really, however, I had no problems with RXP gauges once the AV issue was identified with the 430 & 530.

Bob

Hi Bob,

ALL gauges (530, 430, FLT and FLN) go pink at the same time. This is on an XP computer.

As an experiment, I suppose I could set up a panel with only the T and N to see if they work, but really did not want to spend time experimenting (well, at least, not to get stuff working...)

It had been working perfectly and indeed, the only real difference in the system was the installation of security softare from Comcast. However, I've uninstalled it. I will reinstall RXP, but want to understand my limitations so I can keep my tinkering to a minimum.

cheers

Andrew

You might want to try Microsoft Security Essentials if you need something. It's free and I don't see it getting in the way of my build at all.

Gregg Seipp

As an experiment, I suppose I could set up a panel with only the T and N to see if they work, but really did not want to spend time experimenting (well, at least, not to get stuff working...)

What about just commenting out the GNS530 and 430 in panel.cfg ... //gauge36=RealityXP_FL530XP!GNS530 ....

Anyway, it's been a while since I got the pink gauge issue with RXP. You did what I would have done - checked out the unofficial RXP forum for help. Surely, someone in there will know what causes this? Good luck!

Actually I've been on the unofficial forum as well as back and forth a little with Flight1 support... no luck so far.

I reinstalled and it worked - literally - for less than a day, with no system changes I know of, before going pink again.

No response from the developer to date. IMO they need to figure out a better way to do this...

Actually I've been on the unofficial forum as well as back and forth a little with Flight1 support... no luck so far.

I reinstalled and it worked - literally - for less than a day, with no system changes I know of, before going pink again.

No response from the developer to date. IMO they need to figure out a better way to do this...

Absolutely NO changes? No FSPS work, nothing?

Anyway, as I recall, a pink gauge with RXP logo whilst the sim is running is an RXP licensing or installation issue rather than an anti-virus issue.

Over at SimForums, did you search the RXP forum for "pink"? You'll get many hits, and you can start with:

http://www.simforums...?KW=pink#217391

http://www.simforums...?KW=pink#204767

http://www.simforums...?KW=pink#194244

http://www.simforums...?KW=pink#185385

http://www.reality-x...nswaas-fsx.html

People have had posted this type of pink gauge problem in that forum, and many/most report all things are okay after purchase of all required software or using the correct installation wrapper. Good luck. You'll undoubtedly get it solved. These gauges work for everyone else even if they are tedious to install.

Bob

Hi Bob-

Nothing changed! We just went out for a few hours with the kids to go swimming. I did not see anything in the manual that addressed this ;)

Unfortunately, Flight1 could not longer help (I don't blame them, they can't do tech support for everything) so I may try reaching the guy at RXP directly again.

I'll look through those other posts - thanks.

Andrew