Sign in to follow this  
Manny

A good DC-3/DC-2 and Alaska scenery? Suggestions?

I like the default FSX DC-3. Not sure if there are any good Payware DC-3 or DC-2 out there that is significantly better than the default.

I see there is a Flight 1 DC2 and there is a DC-3 from FS9 that has been ported to FSX from Just flight.

Anyone here has those two aircrafts?

I am also looking for Alaska scenery...to fly in the blizzard like condition using good ole ADF.

Any suggestions?

Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

And there is the freeware Basler B-67, which is a DC-3 turbo basically. It has a more modern cockpit, with a GPS and such.

Alaska - there is Flight1 UTX Alaska, ORBX Pacfic Fjords, and FSAddon Tongass X. The latter two I mentioned only cover the southeastern portion of AK, but still amazing scenery. UTX is an improvement on the default, but doesn't touch ORBX or Tongass detail.

ORBX is also working on a Southern Alaska scenery, but it's not out yet, and we don't really know when it will be done.

With regards to a DC2,I have the Uiver bird, and it is superb!!

Fully agreed. It may not blow you away with the VC at first, but the character and details are very nice and you also help that museum with the purchase. All the money goes to them. Available with 30 day money back at F1.

I also double the recommendation for the Basler BT-67, being a turbine DC-3 variant. That one will get you in and out if almost everything and the quality is very good.

Alaska stuff is UTX for me, some freeware and e.g. Aerosoft PANC for a nice hub.

The MAAAM DC3 is a very good bird, there is now a proper installer for FSX.

The UIVER (Flight 1) DC-2 is a bit old i.e. it is a port over to FSX, but it is an excellent simulation of the DC-2 and is one that I would recommend to anybody, even if the way it installs textures is a bit convoluted. There are not many DC-2 left in existence in the world, and flying ones are even rarer, so this is truly an historic aircraft, but that means it would also not be realistic to be operating one all over the place in modern times, although in FSX, you can of course do whatever you like, so unless you are a stickler for real world operations realism, then this thing is fun.

The DC-2 is harder to operate than the DC-3, and a bit less capable on range and payload - which is why Douglas developed the DC-3 of course. Careful engine management is necessary, since the DC-2 does not have cowling flaps like the DC-3, and that means if you overheat the engines, you will damage them and possibly set them on fire, and this is simulated on the UIVER DC-2. The flight model is good, but it is a bit more forgiving than the real DC-2, which was apparently a bit of a sod to land smoothly.

Likewise, the MAAM DC-3 is a port over to FSX, and again likewise, it is also an excellent simulation of the later DC-3. MAAM were working on a native FSX updated version of it, but that's been shelved unfortunately, however, the present one works okay in FSX and is nice enough anyway. It has a vast number of paint jobs and variants included, among them a float plane variant.

You are mistaken about the Just Flight DC-3 being a portover, it is in fact a recent development, and thus a dedicated FSX model. It is nice, but not everyone is a fan of the rather clean-looking and brightly-lit virtual cockpit and similarly clean external texturing, although I don't mind that aspect myself; I don't insist that all my add-on aeroplanes have to have a VC that looks like it has been thrashed with a motorcylce chain. It flies well and, like the MAAM one, there are a vast number of variants and expansions for it, which include a WACO glider that you can either tow or fly yourself. It does use a few default gauges, but then again since there are in fact default DC-3 gauges in FSX, this is not a major issue either. There is a former payware sound set for the DC-3 included with this one. It is more modern and shinier than the MAAM one, but I would say that it perhaps 'lacks a bit of soul' when compared to the MAAM DC-3.

There is a payware Basler BT-67 turbo conversion of the DC-3 for FSX, from Dirk Stuck, and a chopped-down freeware variant of that same payware package too, but both of them are rather poor and difficult to recommend for a number of reasons. There are errors on the model animation and the texturing and VC is frankly a bit crap; the way the texture-mapping has been done also limits the ability to do repaints somewhat. There is no real reason to consider this one, in either payware or freeware format, because...

Fortunately, there is now a much better freeware Basler BT-67 turbo conversion available, and that one is really excellent, with a great VC, good systems modeling and good attention to detail. Whilst not a 'stock' DC-3, in having the alterations Basler do to the DC-3 to create the BT-67, the Basler is almost certainly among the best DC-3s you can get for FSX. Lots of people appear to be making mods for this one too and the developers are on board with that as well. Being freeware, this one was a labour of love, and frankly it shows in the care and attention with which it has been modeled. Since the BT-67 is designed with a retractable ski option available, which is also included with this, it is probably the ideal DC-3 variant for whizzing around Alaska.

The default DC-3 is pretty good of course; it is one of the better default FSX aircraft as you know, and you can find a lot of mods for it which tweak it up a lot, for example, alterations to the fuel tank selectors and stuff like that. So you could actually do a lot worse than to simply tart that up.

As others have noted (and listed too), there are quite a few bits and pieces of scenery, airports and meshes available for Alaska, and there are more on the way from some developers.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

The Justflight DC3 gets a bad rap primarily because of new shiny VC and exterior but I actually like it. If I'm pretending to be flying an old plane and simulating an old airline, then the cockpit back then would have been pretty new anyways.

Other than the texturing which is well done but that a lot of people subjectively dislike, it seems like a pretty good plane.

You guys are the best...Thank you.

I bought the Uiver DC-2 last night. Yeah...the VC is alright but I kind of like the way it handles/behaves. I'll just assume its reasonably accurate. I flew this with the Orbx's Orcas scenery..it was really good.

I'll check out the other DC-3 suggested here. I was not expecting a Turbine DC-3. Ha Ha! But I'll check out the freeware. Basler B-67,

Not sure if the MAAAM DC3 would add much more to the default DC-3. I May look at this later.

For Scenery,

I have the FS9 photo scenery Georender Alaska in my old archive. I'll have to reinstall this and see if it works reasonably well in FSX. But ofcourse this not ideal for winter/snow blizzard condition. The Aerosoft's Anchorage would go well with this I am thinking.

I Need to look/try out the other sceneries you have suggested.

I also Need to brush up on my ADF/NDB approaches.

Thanks again guys. :)

Manny

I now have 3 X 24" monitor setup with EZDOK shakes and low visibility ...and I am loving it. Its like rediscovering simming all over again. :)

Manny

If you got used to the Uiver DC-2, the Basler's control panel and some knob/switches philosophy will look very familiar to you. And then there are those PT6 turbines, which kick you right into the future. :lol:

I'd say UTX Alaska will be a sure shot for you, establishing a nice base layer for any other Alaska scenery to follow. It's sold with the F1 money back policy in place, just in case.

There is the fantastic Misty Moorings Scenery also and its Free

That requires the Orbx NA Pacific Pjords..right?

Manny

Manny

Hi Manny

Yes it does, I'm afraid.

But what you get is just fantastic scenery and some very nice places to visit.

I'm using Air Hauler at the moment (another great program BTW) and I have a base at PAKT.

Good stuff and makes a break from the NGX

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Yes it does, I'm afraid.

OK.

Would I need F1's Ulitmate Alaska as well? Would that add to this.

And what about Tongress Fjords? Where does that go and how does that fit in?

Manny

Manny

Tongass Fjords, sits to the north and is another must have to be honest.

UT Alaska also fits well.

So really you would be set up for Alaska.

Just make sure you set your scenery lib correctly otherwise there will be land where water should and other anomalies might happen.

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

My old FS9 Georender Alaska cinematic I.

Ha HA! I have not used this in like 4 years..now its coming useful. :) That DC-2 struggles to fly at 5000 ft. Love it... Then it would be a challenge to fly in these parts.

It gives me this area.

http://secure.simmar...tic-vol-1.phtml

Edited by firehawk44
Image removed - Exceeds 1600W and 400 KB limits

Manny