Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Need to study the Maule Fuel Management system,

On my way to Point Lay Airport in NW Alaska, and had 11% fuel left, which should have lasted the 10 minutes left before I landed, but all of a sudden the stupid engine just quit,,,,,,!!!!!! :blink: Looked at the fuel gauges, and some tanks had fuel and some didn't. I would assume the ones that had fuel were not connected to the engine at that point.... Since I was 1000 feet ASL ( that's above sea level) at that point, it wasn't long before this was the result, despite some desperate button pushing in the cockpit.

Need to look at this fuel system in the morning, once I dry out......

Whoops.jpg

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I thought that screenshot was real man! Stop fooling me! Then I looked closer and I saw that there were rough edges from the textures. That's when I realized it was from Flight.

And yes that happened to me too. I had a 259 nm journey. I loaded with fuel that could take me 389 nm and my engine stoped 5 nm before the destination. This makes me think that if you run out of fuel during a mission and make a successful emergency landing, we should get a reward.

Are you transferring fuel from the aux tanks to the main tanks with the pumps run by the green buttons? I'd had a couple of dozen hours in the thing before I even realised they were there... I don't think the pumps can transfer fuel as fast as the engine wants to drink it, so it needs to be done before the mains are empty.

Are you transferring fuel from the aux tanks to the main tanks with the pumps run by the green buttons? I'd had a couple of dozen hours in the thing before I even realised they were there... I don't think the pumps can't transfer fuel as fast as the engine wants to drink it, so it needs to be done before the mains are empty.

Well when I took off again after crashing in the 28 degree water, I hit the green buttons and they lit up and the engine started running again, so I am thinking that this is a clue as to what went wrong. Will have to look into this in the morning. Need a hot shower now..... B)

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Need a hot shower now..... B)

Do you live in the Southern Hemisphere? I think hot showers are the last thing you want to do f you live in North America right now, especially in the U.S and Canada. It's a sizzling 27 degrees right now in Toronto.

Well when I took off again after crashing in the 28 degree water, I hit the green buttons and they lit up and the engine started running again, so I am thinking that this is a clue as to what went wrong. Will have to look into this in the morning.

Yes, this is the problem. The Main Tanks hold 21.5 gallons each, 1.5 of which is unusable fuel. The Aux Tanks hold 20 gallons each (I think), but they do not feed the engine directly.

You can check the Aux quantity by holding the white buttons above the fuel gauges.

L4Vhd.jpg

The green buttons run the Transfer Pumps, which pump fuel from the Aux Tanks to the Main Tanks. When transferring fuel, be careful not to fill the Mains completely. If you continue pumping at 21.5 gallons, the excess fuel will run out the tank vents and be lost. I stop filling at 21.0, just to be on the safe side.

The Maule manual recommends not running the transfer pumps until the main tanks are half full.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

The Maule manual recommends not running the transfer pumps until the main tanks are half full.

Yeah, I read that in there, but I have a hard time with that recommendation.

I know Flight doesn't model system failures, but there's not much more useless than fuel in an aux tank with a broken transfer pump. :unknw:

Yes, this is the problem. The Main Tanks hold 21.5 gallons each, 1.5 of which is unusable fuel. The Aux Tanks hold 20 gallons each (I think), but they do not feed the engine directly.

You can check the Aux quantity by holding the white buttons above the fuel gauges.

L4Vhd.jpg

The green buttons run the Transfer Pumps, which pump fuel from the Aux Tanks to the Main Tanks. When transferring fuel, be careful not to fill the Mains completely. If you continue pumping at 21.5 gallons, the excess fuel will run out the tank vents and be lost. I stop filling at 21.0, just to be on the safe side.

OK. that explains what happened to me. Will have to take a closer look at this tomorrow.

That's a good thing to know! Few days ago I crash landed because of this. I found those buttons, but I was already too low and engine would not start (pumping obviously take some time).

I know Flight doesn't model system failures, but there's not much more useless than fuel in an aux tank with a broken transfer pump

If neither transfer pump comes on, you've still got at least 150 miles until you're out of fuel in the main tanks.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

This is the sort of detail that puzzles me for having been implemented in MS FLIGHT. At the same time I regret not having a more consistent prop model.

At least it looks like the reciprocating engine model is not the one in FSX or previous msfs versions, and this is good, but I would really like to see it implemented with some more coherence... I insist - there should be proper MP variation with RPM increase/decrease, and they should correct the bug introduced with the latest patch regarding the net thrust/eficiency calculation when Prop RPMs are reduced, even on climb....

I am also looking fwd for the Cub cockpit which will give us a tachometer, and hence the chance to test the mixture leaning techniques by observing the RPMs since the Cub uses a fixed pitch prop.

I really love MS FLIGHT, so, I want it to get even better...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

If neither transfer pump comes on, you've still got at least 150 miles until you're out of fuel in the main tanks.

That depends on how low you let the mains get, before trying the pump. :o

I know, if you start running them at half on the Mains, you should have plenty in case of a problem... usually... but I learned to use those while I was flying to Johnston Atoll. There are not a lot of divert options between Hawaii and there. :lol:

Interesting I will have to keep an eye on this - so far I have not run into this issue.

When I select a job I normally adjust fuel to about 50-60 nm over what the job is listed for, when I land at the destination I usually have somewhere around 10-15% fuel remaining. I think a couple of times it has gotten down to around 8-9% by the time I land.

Interesting I will have to keep an eye on this - so far I have not run into this issue.

When I select a job I normally adjust fuel to about 50-60 nm over what the job is listed for, when I land at the destination I usually have somewhere around 10-15% fuel remaining. I think a couple of times it has gotten down to around 8-9% by the time I land.

I have been stopping at most of the airports in the far Northwest shoreline of Alaska, and found out yesterday that most of them do not have fuel. Was trying to make the last one of the night when the engine quit.