Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

First Alaska Aerocache

The first Alaska aerocache showed up this afternoon. "Stratovolcano", way out in the Aleutians. Got it after a pretty good flight.

Glad to see they're back as this is one of my favorite parts of the sim.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Well, this is going to toss a wrench in my "take Jobs from airport to airport everyday" rather than "hopping around the map willy-nilly" strategy.

But I'm not complaining!

Not wanting to derail this, but Flight is not the only one wrestling with the quality of DEM data: http://goo.gl/maps/fzkq

Same source data, most likely.

Same source data, most likely.

I just grabbed the aerocache. Compared to what Google is showing it looked rather good in Flight. The data was definitely massaged, though there were still hints of the blockiness. Looked totally fine though. Not like Minecraft whatsoever. :lol:

I wonder if they will ever release "built-in" Aerocaches, like in the Hawaii DLC. I really enjoyed flying around looking for those.

Shouldn't have much of a problem finding this one. It's on the top of Mt. Cleveland.

Good to have Aerocaches back. But here we can see that Alaska is far away from the level of detail compared to Hawaii.

You can`t identify the mountain as volcano, no crater, no lava. Just auto-generated scenery.

Uhhhh, it only has a tiny crater in real life. That really just looks like a dipped in side of the peak. And it is mainly just brown. No lava either. Unless you mean dried up flows, which again, mainly just brown. Link 1 Link 2 Link 3 Link 4

I think it's a bit presumptuous and naive to expect every remote part of Alaska to be fully detailed for $15.

Well, this is going to toss a wrench in my "take Jobs from airport to airport everyday" rather than "hopping around the map willy-nilly" strategy.

I just flew down from Bethel to get the aerocache and landed at Nikolski. That's 5.5 hours. Now I gotta fly to Dutch Harbor because that's the only place I can get fuel that I can reach on what I've got left. :)

You can`t identify the mountain as volcano, no crater, no lava. Just auto-generated scenery.

I don't know about you, but I can recognize a volcano from quite a ways off, just from the shape. It's very distinctive. Fly up and down the Aleutians and see a lot of them.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Missed it by minutes. I guess they're on EST.

I did get the next one though, but there was a strange graphics glitch right at the airfield spawn point. Anyone else see that?

I saw the graphics glitch. It seemed to originate from the runway sign "N3 06-24". I exited the game and rebooted the computer and it was gone.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I saw the graphics glitch. It seemed to originate from the runway sign "N3 06-24". I exited the game and rebooted the computer and it was gone.

Here's what it looked like on my screen.

i3hfIl.jpg

Uhhhh, it only has a tiny crater in real life. That really just looks like a dipped in side of the peak. And it is mainly just brown. No lava either. Unless you mean dried up flows, which again, mainly just brown. Link 1 Link 2 Link 3 Link 4

I think it's a bit presumptuous and naive to expect every remote part of Alaska to be fully detailed for $15.

Doesn`t look anywhere near like in real life. Naive ? MS said that Flight would be more detailed than FSX, not me. But Alaska looks similar to FSX in terms of details , obviously they only made Hawaii detailed as teaser. And FSX had the same "details" Alaska has all over the world für 50 bucks?