Sign in to follow this  
stratfordman10

FS Build help please

I have today purchased this software and have gone through the set up and configuration process OK.

I intend to use this in conjunction with Pro Flight Emulator.

However,what I need to know is the correct process and confirmation that this is correct.

Firstly I complete the flight plan in FS Build and then export it to FSX.Secondly when I fire up FSX I then go to the flight planner and enter the current airport and the destination airport and click on find route etc-what I need to know is whether the exact flight plan created in FS Build(same waypoints etc) will now appear in the FSX flight plan.

Lastly I obviously then fire up PFE and compile the flight plan as usual.

The reason that I am unsure is because I tried to compile in FS Build a flight plan for EGLL to EGBE but when I looked in the FSX flight plan some of the waypoints were not the same and that is why I am seeking clarification of the correct process.

I thank you in anticipation.

Michael Broom

Dont click on Find Route, you select Load Route, it should already be in the FSX flight plan library.

Fsx will then load what FSBUILD created, with every waypoint, and also sids and stars if you selected them.

Hi Will,

Many thanks for your reply.

I have gone into FS Build created a flight EGLL to LYBE and when this is completed I get the message;

Results

Created FSX.pln(xml)file c:\users\Michael Docs\Flight Simulator X Files\RGLL-LYBE.PLN OK

When I then go into FSX put in the current airport then the destination airport I hit the 'load' button,as per your instructions,I then find the flight file click on it and then it goes into the file name and I click to open it.However,it is not exactly the same as the FS Build plan as some of the waypoints are not in there.

Could you please confirm whether or not I am actually completing the process correctly.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Michael

Michael Broom

Michael, I would assume its because FSX doesnt have all the up to date or same waypoints as FSBuild has. So if say you select and SID/STAR as part of your waypoint in FSBuild and then export it to FSX and FSX is missing some of the waypoints then those waypoints from FSBuild wont show up in FSX.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I thought most of these interactions happened on the basis of latitude/longitude, not the names of the waypoints i.e. the source program generates a list of waypoint co-ordinates as the primary nav data with textual waypoint names attached as secondary details. FSX picks the latitudes & longitudes and plots those rather than looking for the waypoint names.

I may be entirely wrong but that's what I thought.

There are inconsistencies out there [e.g. I used to use SimRoutes.com to generate flightplans but their navdata is way out of date compared to say, Navigraph, which underlies the PMDG nav database, so I'm now using VatAware as a more up-to-date source] but I didn't know this was one of them.

ngxu_banner.png

Navigraph updates FSBUiLD so you have the most up to date database with it.

However,it is not exactly the same as the FS Build plan as some of the waypoints are not in there.

Hello

Is this a plan you have built in FSBUILD and then ran through the PFE conversion/compile process ?.

To use your FSBUILD generated plans and have FSX and PFE in sync requires you to use the

[Adjust FS FP for PF2000] option in the PFE flight plan convertor screen.

To summarise:

1:Build your plan in FSBUILD

2: Select and compile it in PFE/PF2000 (no need for the convert step with with fsbuild plans)

3 Use the [Adjust the plan for PF2000] option ( this will build and copy plan into your FSX flight plan folder prefixed with PFE_), this plan is what you will load into the FSX flight planner / GPS

Note that this plan WILL differ from the original plan created and displayed within FSBUILD as the PFE/PF2000 compile process will strip out waypoints it deems too close to arrival and departure, but by using the [Adjust FS FP for PF2000] option both PFE and FSX will now be in sync.

On loading flight plans into the FSX planner:

Click on load > select your plan > open it > click ok

If you now click on the Navlog button your plan will show, to check this against the one in PFE click on [adjust waypoint altitudes Sids and Stars] on the main PFE screen.

PM me if you need further clarification

Note that some waypoints may appear more than once in PFE, this is normal

Guest stratfordman

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply.

This morning prior to getting your message when I hit the compile button in FS Build I was getting the following message;

Unable to create FS2000 file c:\users\michael\documents\flight simulator files\egll-kjfk.PLN

Now when I export out of FS Build I uses the FS2004/fsx button as I was told that the fsx.xml does not work.Also there is another box in the settings named FSX GPS and I am not sure whether this should be enabled or not.

Anyway,I am just going out and when I get back I shall go through the process that you recommened.

I really appreciate your time and help but would appreciate your coinfirmation in respect of the FS Build export tab and also within the settings.

I will obviously come back to you and let you know how I went on.

MIchael

Hello Michael

First lets look at why your Fsbuild gives the message "Unable to create FS2000 file c:\users\michael\documents\flight simulator files\egll-kjfk.PLN"

Providing that you have set up the path to your FSX root folder correctly in the FSbuild settings this behaviour is correct as the paths FSbuild saves to are hard coded into the program.

So when you select to export to the FS2004 GPS (which is what you want for PFE) there is an issue in that FSbuild will try and write the exported plan to "c:\users\michael\documents\flight simulator files\"

Now on your system this directory does not exist unless you have FS9 installed hence the error.

Now in order for us to get round this problem you need to go to your "c:\users\michael\documents\" directory and create a new folder called flight simulator files

Now FSbuild will export your FS2004 GPS plan into this folder and you will see the confirmation in FSbuild.

Now you need to set up the PFE source directory to point to "c:\users\michael\documents\flight simulator files" instead of "c:\users\michael\documents\flight simulator X files"

To do this go into the PFE FPlan convertor and change the source to point to "c:\users\michael\documents\flight simulator files" and you are all set.

Alternatively you could edit this manually in the PF_Emulator.ini by editing the line at the bottom

[Convert]

SourceP=C:\Users\Michael\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\

SourceP=C:\Users\Michael\Documents\Flight Simulator Files\

TargetP=D:\PFE\FS2000\Pilots\

Thats it as far as setting up FSbuild on your system is concerned.

Don't forget, the plan FSbuild generates will be altered slightly by PFE (dropping WP's too close to DEP/ARR).

This is where you must use the [Adjust FS FP for PF2000] button to get the two plans synced up

So to summarise:

Your FSbuild export directory is set to your FSX root folder

Your PFE source directory is set to your newly created flight simulator files folder

You have selected to export to the FS2004 GPS from FSbuild

Build and export your plan in Fsbuild - for your example egll-kjfk.PLN

Select egll-kjfk.PLN in PFE and compile it

Adjust it in PFE (you will be taken to the PFE\FS2000\ADV folder) and pick the pf2000 - egll to kjfk.gps file.

You can now load the resulting PFE_EGLL-KJFK.pln into FSX from C:\Users\Michael\Documents\Flight Simulator Files\

Click on [select new adv] in PFE and load the pf2000 egll to kjfk file

Lets see how you get on after all that, what we are dealing with here is a flight planner hard coded to write FS9/FSX .pln files to the FS9, flight simulator files folder and an ATC program where the core function was written for FS2000 hence the workarounds, but it all works well in the end.

Guest stratfordman

HI,

Once again thanks for your reply.

I have digested your instructions but before carrying them out I would like to ask you about exporting the plan from FS Build.

When I click on export I find the option FS2004/FSX is this what I need to click on because in your instuctions you mention 2004 GPS.I just want to make sure that I am hitting the correct export tab.

What I do now in FS Build is enter the 2 airports etc,hit auto generate,export to ?,then finally click on build.

Now in the settings tag there is a section' export to' and this included FSX GPS and FS2004 GPS,now should any of these be ticked as enabled?

I think the 2004 thing is getting to me as I use only FSX.

Also when you talk about changing the scource in PFE I understand about changing Scource P but as far as the target is concerned mine to date has been as follows;

TargetP=C:\Program Files (x86)\Areosoft\PFE\FS2000\Pilots\

You are showing the target file being under D where as mine is underC and I am wondering whether the targret file needs to be changed.

I aoplogise for seeking all of these clarification issues but I thought I would ask before making a total 'balls up' of the whole thing.

I really thank you for your help and patience-you are a top man!

Michael

Guest stratfordman

Sorry again,

Just 1 point.

When I go into PFE and click on change scource my FSX flight plans obviously show up with the file name flashing.Into this file name do I just write in Flight Simulator Files?

Many thanks.

Michael

When I click on export I find the option FS2004/FSX is this what I need to click on because in your instuctions you mention 2004 GPS.I just want to make sure that I am hitting the correct export tab.

Hello

It will be easier for you to set the exports up in the options > settings tab and FS2004 GPS is the one you want

Then save your settings, I have no Idea why they named it differently in the Export to menu

up there it is called FS2004/FSX but it is the same either way.

Also when you talk about changing the scource in PFE I understand about changing Scource P but as far as the target is concerned mine to date has been as follows;

You are showing the target file being under D where as mine is underC and I am wondering whether the targret file needs to be changed.

Ignore my paths as they reference where the programs are installed on my system, set them to reflect your installation, in your case you bought your copy from Aerosoft so it is installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Areosoft\PFE\ (for some reason you have aerosoft misspelled)

You must set your sourceP to the directory where FSbuild has saved your plan

and your TargetP to the directory where PFE is going to put your converted plan

[Convert]

When I go into PFE and click on change scource my FSX flight plans obviously show up with the file name flashing.Into this file name do I just write in Flight Simulator Files?

Michael

Click on the [FS9/FSX FPLAN converter]

Select [Change Source]

In the dialog box that pops up browse to the new Flight Simulator Files directory that you created earlier.

That directory will now be your new source directory, this is where FSbuild is hard coded to save

your plans.

Alternatively edit your PF_Emulator.ini file to read:

[Convert]

Note:

Is your Aerosoft directory really spelt Areosoft ?

EDIT:

If you do not wish to mess with editing paths at the moment, you may find it easier to just manually copy the .pln files between

Documents\Flight Simulator Files\ and Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\

We can always set up the paths later or even better use Mklink to create a junction

Guest stratfordman

again,

Thanks for your reply.

I have created the Flight Simulator Files,have checked 2004 gps as my export route in FS Build.

I have just gone into FS Build created a EGBB to KDEN flight plan-FSB states that it has been created OK.I then went into PFE and clicked on the converter and found the flight listed there.I then clkicked on the convert FS FP to PF 2000 and I received the message ERROR 53-During Conversion-Program will end.

Obviously I have done something wrong-could you help further please.

Michael

I then clkicked on the convert FS FP to PF 2000 and I received the message

Hello

I am beginning to suspect that you have an issue with your PFE install (not unknown by any means)

You may want to have a look at:

http://www.ocs-support.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22

I have seen this error come up before on the Oncourse forum , best ask Dave March he will be able to diagnose this one pretty quickly.

Is your Aerosoft directory really spelled incorrectly ?