Sign in to follow this  
ap1

How can I fly sids and stars using the default fsx flight planner and the default boeing 737 using the built in FSX Atc?

I one time thought that the only way to get the fsx atc to honor a star is to request the approach from atc. Right? Is this still true? But it doesn't seem that realistc to me either because in real life atc gives the star/sid and you don't request it.

I've acutally heard of radar contact v4.3. Would that work? Is there going to be a verzion 5 soon or is 4 the last one? But with verizon 4.3 would that assign sids and stars and correctly use them just like in the real world? I want to try to keep my flying as real possible as it can get with the default 737-800. Thanks everybody!

Since you are considering a payware addon, I strongly advice you to purchase a good 737NG addon to get the sim more realistic. Both PMDG's and iFly's are very nice and almost everyone thinks they worth the money. You can check out the reviews on AVSIM. You will discover many more interesting things in a detailed aircraft.

I actually have radar contact already. I haven't used it yet though. But is it capable of the default 737-800? And also, does it use the sids and stars right just like in the real world? Or does it do it differntley? Right now, I'd rather stick with the default 737-800, but was planning sometime soon to buy the pmdg 737. Is PFE good too? Thanks a lot!

I actually have radar contact already. I haven't used it yet though. But is it capable of the default 737-800? And also, does it use the sids and stars right just like in the real world? Or does it do it differntley? Right now, I'd rather stick with the default 737-800, but was planning sometime soon to buy the pmdg 737. Is PFE good too? Thanks a lot!

The thing about real world SID and STARs is they are basically "guides" for exit and entry into busy airports.

Meaning, even though the default ATC has its shortcomings, it is fairly accurate when they vector you in for a final because this is how it is done in real life.

Real life commercial pilots do not fly every single waypoint of a STAR down to the runway. They are usually given vectors for the IAF (Initial Approach Fix) which may, or may not be part of a STAR, and then given further instruction(s) from there. The main thing missing from the default ATC when on approach are specified approach speeds. Granted, payware addons calculate this for you, but real life ATC also has their own guidelines for the airport, weather and current traffic conditions and will advise aircraft on what speeds they want them at until touch down to ensure a safe and steady flow of arriving and departing traffic.

There's a relatively easy way to be able to fly most STARs and SIDs using just the default FSX GPS and any of the default planes. It's the method I used before I moved on to payware planes with built-in FMCs, and it served me well for quite a long time.

First, you need to update the FSX database of waypoints etc using this site

http://www.btinterne...itch/index.html

Once you've done that, you need to get the charts of the STAR and SID that you want to fly. There are many sites that have free charts - this one is excellent for USA charts (I'll leave you to get cosy with Google for charts from other countries)

http://www.airnav.com/airports/

To compile your flight plan, don't use the default FSX planner but, instead, use this site

http://www.simroutes.../ShowPlans.aspx

You want to use the 'Generate Routes' function - near the top of the page, in blue. It's fairly obvious how to enter the route you want to fly, including SIDs & STARs and all points in-between. Personally, I didn't bother with the SIDs & STARs drop-down menus as not all current SIDs & STARS were included - instead I inputted each individual waypoint in the large 'Route' box (of course, you might opt to use the drop-down menus if that suits).

Once I had finished inputting the whole route I clicked on the 'Generate Route' box and Hey Presto, there was my flight plan and even a nice map to help me on my way. I then simply selected the correct airplane, selected FSX format instead of FS9 and then clicked on 'Download Flightplan'. This flightplan can be saved anywhere - on your Desktop, in your My Documents folder or wherever.

The last step is to load up FSX, then open up Flight Planner. Select the option 'Load' - near the bottom of the screen - and then find the flightplan that you just downloaded from SimRoutes (you did make a note of where you saved it, right?), select the flightplan then click on 'Open'. You'll then see the flightplan with all the SID & STAR waypoints in all its glory. You can edit it if you wish - the most I ever needed to do was to make sure the cruising altitude was what I wanted.

The last thing you then need to do is to 'OK' the flight plan and after you've selected your weather, fuel etc you'll be good to go.

The GPS will have your complete flightplan (including SID & STAR) and once in the air you can hand-fly the route using the GPS for guidance or you can select autopilot/GPS/NAV and George will fly the route for you - well almost ... you'll have to sort out climbs, descents and speeds yourself as the default planes don't have full automation.

Anyway, give it a go and have fun.

Brian

Hi, Brian I tried your method and it works! Thanks a lot!

Glad to hear you got things working, Ap1.

Once you've got used to flying full routes with SIDs/STARs I bet you'll be wanting to step up to a payware plane with FMC. There are many good ones to choose from - and you've had a few recommendations already. If and when you decide you want to go up to that level, keep an eye open for sales and special offers, especially at major holiday times (the Bargain Hunters Forum here at AvSim will give you plenty of alerts).

Have fun!

Brian

That's a good way to do it!

You think so? Thats not really SIDs and STARs at all, thats just flying a route that happens to have the same waypoints as a particular SID has. There's no ATC dynamically assigning the SID / STAR.

You think so? Thats not really SIDs and STARs at all, thats just flying a route that happens to have the same waypoints as a particular SID has. There's no ATC dynamically assigning the SID / STAR.

How do you propose the OP gets the default ATC to dynamically assign the SID / STAR?

Its impossible. Instead I proposed flying online where ATC is capable of assigning SIDs and STARs

How do you propose the OP gets the default ATC to dynamically assign the SID / STAR?

That doesn't happen! It won't happen!

For that you need something like PFE.

I'm not an on-line flier, but reputedly the problem with that shifts from the realism of the ATC to the fact that there won't necessarily be ATC cover available where you want to fly and when you want to fly doesn't it?

If I can butt in on this, the SID is relatively easy as has been said - you merely need to include the SID way-points into your flight-plan and FSX ATC will follow those, although it won't honour altitude restrictions that apply in the real-world SID. SID charts are available from a number of sources - I use the payware NavData service.

STARS are more problematic as typically the FSX ATC will try to vector you to approach when it feels like it whatever's in your flight-plan. If you fail to follow vectors, it won't give your descent authorisation which will thoroughly ruin your approach.

It will also give you instructions which are plain daft. I remember fondly the time it vectored me at right angles through the Heathrow glide-slope at 3,000 feet while I was trying to land at Gatwick..... Now I know what those tin ducks feel like in a shooting gallery...

The work around I'm using at the moment is to make sure that the approach you want is set up as an RNAV [or presumably GPS] transition at your destination airport. A few of these are set up for the largest stock FSX airports but Airport Design Editor allows you to create new RNAV & GPS transitions. It's a bit of a cheat but if there are no charted transitions, then you could set up the ILS approach route as per the chart as a transition.

When ATC gives you an approach, you can ask for an alternate and ask for the RNAV transition you want and you'll be granted it. It seems that that although ATC will still try to vector you to the first terminal way-point of that transition, you can ignore those vectors and follow the STAR that is in your flight-plan without ATC cancelling your IFR flight-plan. Crucially, what it does seem to do is to clear you to the first terminal way-point WITHOUT ALTITUDE RESTRICTIONS so you can descend as per the published charts and/or your aircraft's VNAV.

OK, if you flit all over the world for your flights, it's impractical. If you perhaps fly in & out of one airport to a fairly limited number of destinations [as real world airliners do] then it's manageable with a little bit of effort. Anyway, having to do all these behind the scenes tweaks just to get it to work are why we love Flight Simulator isn't it? Answers on a postcard....

Find Airport Design Editor here: http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/

PS ADE allows you to build altitude restrictions into the transitions. I only started this recently and I'm unclear whether FSX ATC reflects those in it's approach instructions. My feeling is that it does, more or less anyway.

PPS re Radar Contact, I'm a potential purchaser but gather that V5 is under development [or is it?]. Does anyone know if V5 will be a free update to V4 or a new purchase? I'm assuming the latter and I'm holding off for the time being!

ngxu_banner.png

People have been asking for years "When will RC5 come out?" PFE 2.14 has been out for a long time and does everything it says on the tin. You have a standard FP say from Heathrow to Italy and your departing rwy is either 09R or 27L so you have already told PFE before you activate the sim that the SID for 09R is MID3J and for 27L is MID3G with a ceiling of 6000ft. You will not only be given the correct SID clearance depending on rwy in use, but also the correct take-off clearance. as for STAR's quite often they end in stacks. For example BIG is a compulsory stack unless otherwise advised by ATC. They know you are going for that STAR as you have submitted it in you FP. If they are busy then they will either put you in the hold descending you as necessary or redirect you. They may even redirect you before you reach the end of your STAR.

STARS are more problematic as typically the FSX ATC will try to vector you to approach when it feels like it whatever's in your flight-plan.

In fact, the default ATC also offers you a wide range of STARS instead of vectors. If you choose one, it does a pretty good attempt at clearing you for that STAR using an abbreviated name. The altitude clearances are often the same as or very close to those published for the approach in the real world charts. I actually quite like the default ATC. :rolleyes:

Best wishes,

Michael

• Upvote 1