Sign in to follow this  
Tamadeez

Shared cockpit a myth?

How would a feature like this even be implemented without some sort of server network thing. Then add vatsim to complicate the equation. I am now skeptical this feature will ever be properly implemented. Or can some technical minded person enlighten on the reality.

It can actually be done at the moment.

Firstly, you have to use either multiplayer or and FSD server, and then share a cockpit through that. Afterwards, you can then both connect to VATSIM, and then fly using the shared cockpit :)

- Luke

The problem isn't sharing the cockpit (gauges, switches, levers, etc) -- The Leonardo Maddog MD80 already has that implemented, and it works great. The issue is when both pilots wish to fly on VATSIM at the same time. You can't have both connect as it would create two separate aircraft, callsigns, flight plans, etc. This isn't something a VATSIM controller wants to see. And since both pilots would really like to log their flight on VATSIM, the only workaround I see is they alternate PF and PNF and also alternate who connects to VATSIM and gets their flight recorded.

Erik L.

Erik, you can connect to VATSIM, one as pilot the second one as OBS, and there are settings that will turn off the other plane you see in your sim...this can be done with FSInn. I haven't flown LSH in such a setup, but I have flown other default acft a few times.

Charan Kumar
FSX/XPX vPilot
VATSIM ZOA and Oceanic Controller (Pacific)

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead

Well, i have some experience as i tried everything with lot of planes.

The problem is, with the build in FSX function, you wont have a lot of fun because it wont transmit every key input, every button you push and so on. Thats why this is only good for the default stuff. Then, there is gates.to ... This can do a bit more but its basically not better for complex aircraft. By now, there are only 2 (3?) complex aircraft, that are capable of doing this.

1. Leonardo Maddog

2. Flight 1 Fokker 100 (was it flight 1?)

maybe a 3rd but i dont remember which one it was.

There will be (maybe) an update for the 737NGX, that will contain this capability. RZR said it in some interview or in one of his update threads here in the forum.

However, it is also always a matter of network speed. If you do it via internet, you probably need more than 10MBIT on both sides, otherwise you will have lags and things that are not transmitted over the network. I personally have a 100mbit internet connection but if the counterpart has 768kbit/s, it wont be funny.

Waiting for the NGX update now, would be very nice as this is an awesome aircraft.

Erik, you can connect to VATSIM, one as pilot the second one as OBS, and there are settings that will turn off the other plane you see in your sim...this can be done with FSInn. I haven't flown LSH in such a setup, but I have flown other default acft a few times.

That would help considering then both pilots can see traffic outside and on TCAS.

Erik L.

this can be done with FSInn.

That's the problem, FSINN isn't exactly the greatest pilot client. This is why we need a new pilot client, and one of the many new features it needs to have is the ability to let people do multicrew flights, log both pilots flight but not create two data tags.

However, it is also always a matter of network speed. If you do it via internet, you probably need more than 10MBIT on both sides, otherwise you will have lags and things that are not transmitted over the network. I personally have a 100mbit internet connection but if the counterpart has 768kbit/s, it wont be funny....

Wow, it needs that kind of bandwidth? 10 mbit? That must be the most bandwidth hungry feature in the history of computers.

That's the problem, FSINN isn't exactly the greatest pilot client. This is why we need a new pilot client, and one of the many new features it needs to have is the ability to let people do multicrew flights, log both pilots flight but not create two data tags.

This feature needs to be added to the FSD as well. I dont think that VATSIM is very keen on modifying their FSD, or add new features that only a single pilot client will support

Not quite.

I only have a 1.5kb broadband connection, almost the slowest kind of broadband and i have flown the Maddog in shared cockpit on Vatsim on numerous times.

Like it was stated before, the PF connects to FSInn normally, the PNF connects as observer with the same callsign but add a "2" in the end.

That's it, controllers can see you are both in the same flight, nothing to it.

It is great fun! The Maddog shares everything, we can see what switches the other is moving, even what each other is typing on the FMC!! Vatsim traffic?? Absolutely, we share the tvas function also.

If we get shared cockpit the section of the Boeing manual showing PNF vs PF duties will be really helpful.

I would fly as PNF more then PF I think. More to do!

Wow, it needs that kind of bandwidth? 10 mbit? That must be the most bandwidth hungry feature in the history of computers.

In the past, i had 5 different internet provider with different speeds.

1. Dual ISDN (128kbit/s)

2. 2/2 sync

3. 5/2 async

4. 10/5 async

5. 100/6 async

I think its more about the upload. In lot of countries, you have sync on almost every bandwidth but in the country i live in, async is the thing you will get. Therefor, a 10/5 should be good for you. I just had bad experience with everything slower than that. I am sure, a slower connection could work too, but to be on the save side, 10/5 should be the one you are looking for. I dont know what speeds are normal for every country but in Germany, you normally have at least 16mbit download and about 2-5 for upload

Right. I expected connection quality (latency / packet loss) to be more important than bandwidth.