Sign in to follow this  
samtx

Microsoft Flight at AirVenture Oshkosh 2012

I will be there as I have been almost every year out of the last 35. I have been a EAA member for the last 31 years. It is only a 2.5 hour drive north for me. I have flown into Whittman field a number of times during student cross country flights for my PPL. But not during the flyin when the field becomes the must active in the world with 10,000 + aircraft comeing and going for those few days.

I will be there as I have been almost every year out of the last 35. I have been a EAA member for the last 31 years.

Well, it must be quite something if you have made the trip so often. If I manage to make it, it will be my first visit there. From everything I've seen, it sounds amazing. I haven't even been to an airshow in years, but Flight and FSX have really rekindled my interest. Now, I'm really eager to go out and see everything in person and this sounds like a great place to do that.

I will be there as I have been almost every year out of the last 35. I have been a EAA member for the last 31 years. It is only a 2.5 hour drive north for me. I have flown into Whittman field a number of times during student cross country flights for my PPL. But not during the flyin when the field becomes the must active in the world with 10,000 + aircraft comeing and going for those few days.

I have not seen an airshow in quite a while. It sounds great!

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Interesting! I think this is the perfect venue for Flight as its not just pilots who visit Oshkosh, but people who are greatly interested in aircraft and aviation. Flight can be a great entry point into the world of aviation and flying!

Also, one of the team members is flying his Vans RV-7 from WA all the way to WI. Yes, someone on the Flight team built his own RV-7, and another member owned a Maul. The Flight team was very familial with the subjects, thats for sure ;)

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I had plans in place to be there again this year, as I have for the past ten years, but alas my current health condition has forced me to cancel my visit this year. Just to be on the safe side though, I did change my motel reservations for next year though! B)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I did change my motel reservations for next year though

Sorry you can't make it this year. I did not make it last year as my daughter just had a baby and she is my fly in buddy. She will be with me this year for sure. Yes, there just are no motel space any where near during the convention. Like you, many people have standing reservations. I just go one day, arrive very early after a 2 1/2 hour drive, walk the entire field from one end to the other and head home again after the air show winds down. Long day but worth it.

From Hammond, Indiana I have a similar 2.5 hour drive one way, but by the time I arrive (having threaded my way through downtown Chicago's pre-rush hour traffic at 4:00 AM), I'm too exhausted already to enjoy anything more than a few hours in the jacuzzi at my motel, a nice dinner and some relaxation!

For the past few years I've also had a reservation for a mobility cart to keep me off my feet while I zip slowly drive around the grounds seeing everything! B)

There are usually a few rooms left around Beaver Dam, but I've had standing reservations near Fon-du-Lac for the past six years. Anything south of KOSH allows for much faster access to the grounds than having to drive through Oshkosh!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for sharing some of your past experiences and tips.

Any suggestions on the best day to be there? I was thinking about Friday or Saturday, but I wonder if mid-week would be better with less of a crowd and less traffic. Are there still plenty of things to see and do during the week? (It seems so, from the schedule.) Would I really be missing out if I'm not there on the weekend?

One day, I swear I will experience Reno and Oshkosh. I did visit the museum they have there and its simply the best aviation museum I have ever visited.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I haven't even been to an airshow in years, but Flight and FSX have really rekindled my interest.

Everyone with any interest in aviation should make OSH at least once. It's an amazing experience (and that phrase does it no justice whatsoever). Several have used the word "airshow", but while there is a daily formal airshow, the event is so, so much more than that, and the real show is non-stop. It wasn't until my third year that I felt I'd begun to understand just how much was there - which is not to say that I'd seen "it all". You simply can't do that.

Go!

Scott

Everyone with any interest in aviation should make OSH at least once. It's an amazing experience (and that phrase does it no justice whatsoever). Several have used the word "airshow", but while there is a daily formal airshow, the event is so, so much more than that, and the real show is non-stop.

Yes, it looks and sounds like this is the biggest event around and I'm just lucky enough to be close enough to make the trip. The builders workshops look really interesting to me too. I'm not sure I'll be able to squeeze everything I want to see and do into a single day.

I'm not sure I'll be able to squeeze everything I want to see and do into a single day.

You won't! Not even close. But enjoy what you do get to see.

One of my favorite memories is of helping a friend who was doing a mountain flying presentation in one of the forum tents. He kept having to stop his talk as a guy in an F104 was doing high speed fly-bys with full afterburner. Raw sound and fury with a pair of short knife-edge wings strapped on. You could barely hear yourself think, let alone give a talk, but there was hardly a blink from the audience. Everyone smiled, enjoyed the brief interruptions and then turned their attention back to the program - such is Oshkosh. When the F104 landed (the hardest trick you'll see one do!), the Ford Tri-Motor resumed it's usual stately runs. This is typical of the "show" that goes on all day, long before and after the formal airshow, representing every imaginable facet and era of aviation.

Scott

This is typical of the "show" that goes on all day, long before and after the formal airshow, representing every imaginable facet and era of aviation.

It sounds like quite an experience. A couple months ago, I didn't know what a Ford Tri-Motor was, but since then I found a Ford Tri-Motor for FS 2004 that works in FSX and I've also seen it in a few history shows.

I'll have to plan ahead and walk fast or think about trying to stay for an extra day.

I do kind of miss the "old days" when it was a much smaller,slower paced event.I first started going with my dad when it was at the Rockford Regional airport in Illinois before moving to Oshkosh Wisconsin. But there is also something to be said for the "Big Show". It is just amazing to say the least. My dad is gone now and I carry on the family tradition with my daugher. The wife just thinks it's boring. Also, Microsoft always has a large display area with many screen running the latest flight sim. Now what would that be?

Anytime of the year the world class museum is open to the public and during the summer the Pioneer airport out behind the museum is in full swing. It has a small grass strip set up in front of old style hangers from the bygone days with old aircraft on display. It is an active field, something is always flying.